Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still hasn't killed a Lannister, though.
Too much salary cap for Bron.
Wants a castle.

Typical sword sell, always seeking free agency to the highest bidder.

Ok for the posters who remember Gavin Brown.

What are your recollections of young Gavin to Callum?

On my recollection, Gavin started quite thin.
Gavin on the eye was taller than Callum. Giving being 6 foot or so with Callum say 5’9” or so?

Gavin I also recall much more of a battering ram, even from early days.
Callum a bit more slippery but courage too.

What do others think?

NB: Gavin was one of my all time favourites.

Trivia: Gavin also is a twin, with a twin sister.

Which Gavin are we referring too?

Early wingman Gav, Full-forward Gav, on-baller Gav, captain Gav, injured Gav, Half/full back negating Gav or back to the forward line Gav?

Too much salary cap for Bron.
Wants a castle.

Typical sword sell, always seeking free agency to the highest bidder.
In fairness to Bron, I reckon he’d go for a long term deal if someone was prepared to lock him in, but he only gets offered heavily incentive-based contracts.

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lachie Neale, Brent Harvey, Tony Libbatore and Caleb Daniels are just a few shorties who are elite, not all turn out to be as average as Blair. I'm pretty optimistic about young Cals future, I've said all year i really admire the way he plays, hopefully a long term player for us.

Considering less than 10% of the players who get drafted make 150 games and probably less than 5% make 150 games and kick over 100 goals, Blair hardly qualifies as average :rolleyes:

Considering less than 10% of the players who get drafted make 150 games and probably less than 5% make 150 games and kick over 100 goals, Blair hardly qualifies as average :rolleyes:
It depends on what your comparing to. If you're comparing him to anyone drafted, he was above average, but if you're comparing him to other long term senior players, he was below average.

Lachie Neale, Brent Harvey, Tony Libbatore and Caleb Daniels are just a few shorties who are elite, not all turn out to be as average as Blair. I'm pretty optimistic about young Cals future, I've said all year i really admire the way he plays, hopefully a long term player for us.
I’m not sure why you felt the need to point that out, given I never really said his height would prevent him from becoming a good player, nor did I mention Blair. I did say he was small, but that was an overall reference to his frame. He needs to bulk up in order to become a genuine inside mid, as obviously he doesn’t have that height and weight that bigger mids will use to their advantage.

I’m well aware that small players can be elite (although I think you might be stretching it to put Daniels in that category). Hopefully Cal becomes one of those elite short people.

I’m well aware that small players can be elite (although I think you might be stretching it to put Daniels in that category).
16 possessions, 3 tackles and no score last week, just give him the Chas Brownlow right now and be done with it.

16 possessions, 3 tackles and no score last week, just give him the Chas Brownlow right now and be done with it.
Hahahah yeah those are very Blairish numbers aren’t they?

Edit: to be fair though, that was a down game for him. I’d put him in the same category as Phillips right now. Very good player, gets a lot of the ball, but not quite in that elite bracket.

Last edited:

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/c58859d5b112180768399273ab7c6cc4

The Collingwood players back from the Christmas break weren’t sure what to make of it.

It was January 2016 and a kid from Eastern Ranges named Callum Brown was spending a week at the club.

But Gavin’s son wasn’t interested in taking in the sights at a club he had followed for as long as he could remember.

For a teenager who used to hassle Alan Didak in the rooms as a little tacker and posed with Jarryd Blair and the 2010 premiership cup as a 12-year-old, this was too important to be starstruck.

First impressions last and Brown was desperate to make a good one.

“I went pretty hard,” Brown laughed this week.

“I’d obviously been down with dad a few times, but this was just me and I was pretty determined.”

The Pies used to vote for a Trainer of the Day.

Everything you need to know about Brown’s work ethic in that week is summed up by the fact that a few senior players voted for the would-be father-son recruit without realising he wasn’t eligible for the award.

Ten months later, at Sydney’s Hordern Pavilion, Collingwood took Brown Mark II as a father-son recruit with pick 35.

Three years later, the desire and drive certainly hasn’t left him.

It’s why, after a five-game taste in his debut season, eight matches last year and six so far this year, he wants so much more.

“I’m quite bullish in terms of my character. Even from when I first got here I wanted to play straight away,” Brown said.

“I don’t ever voice it, it’s more that within, I’m confident in my own ability. I want to be out there, I want to contribute and I want to help us win.”

All of which explains why, even if he was only a second-year player with 13 games experience, that he found it so hard to watch his teammates play in last year’s Grand Final.

He was happy for them, of course, but he was burning with ambition.

“It was actually pretty tough. It was harder than I thought it would be,” he said.

“The hardest bit was in the rooms before the game watching them all getting ready to play and knowing I wouldn’t be a part of it.

“I was emergency through the whole finals series, with a few others obviously and I got to sit in the Grand Final parade.

“I was happy for them all, but it was difficult.”

But the insecurity that followed him at times last year, when he felt one misstep would result in him losing his spot in the senior side, has vanished.

Brown has played the past five games, the most recent against Carlton in what was arguably his finest performance — 21 disposals and two goals.

“Last year I was definitely on edge a bit. While I was confident in myself, we had a really strong team,” he said.

“It’s possibly even stronger this year, but the difference for me now is that I’ve got a legitimate role in the team (small forward), whereas last year was, ‘maybe midfield, maybe forward’ and the coaches are really pleased with how I’m going.”

It’s proving the perfect job description for a player who has always been an elite decision-maker who also sat near the top of his draft class for agility.

Brown’s ability to cut into space has added yet another layer to a potent Pies forward line and the icing on the cake is his exquisite ball-use by hand and foot.

The Brown’s, meanwhile, are shaping as one of Collingwood’s most romantic family stories — and they’ve had a few.

Callum’s younger brother Tyler was drafted in 2017, while little sister Tarni is at Eastern Ranges and shapes as the Pies’ first AFLW father-daughter selection.

“Tarni might be the best out of all three of us, or maybe all four of us. She’s very good,” Brown said.

The Brown brothers and Tarni are all in the family home with their parents — North Melbourne assistant Gavin and footy-mad mum Kerry.

“We’re very close knit. I think mum likes talking about footy the most out of anyone at home,” Brown said.

Gavin’s footy did the talking in a career that saw him win a premiership, three best and fairests, All-Australian selection and a place in Collingwood’s team of the century.

That’s not a tough act to follow, it’s a minefield. But Brown said it’s neither a burden, nor fuel.

“I think it’s really cool what my dad’s done and it’s given me a lot of opportunities, especially when I was young, to come to the club and see stuff,” he said.

“But right now I’m just going out there and playing and it doesn’t really enter my mind, to be honest.”

There wasn’t an expectation to be a hard and crazy courageous like the old man?

“You’ve got to uphold a little bit of that,” he laughed.

“But I’ve never really been placed under too much pressure here, which is good. Josh (Daicos), Darcy (Moore) and Tyler aren’t either I don’t think.”

Callum’s younger brother Tyler was drafted in 2017, while little sister Tarni is at Eastern Ranges and shapes as the Pies’ first AFLW father-daughter selection.

“Tarni might be the best out of all three of us, or maybe all four of us. She’s very good,” Brown said.

This is good.:D

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
^

once again just proof positive Callum has an amazing work ethic and correct behaviours.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
^

once again just proof positive Callum has an amazing work ethic and correct behaviours.
Like his coach he leaves nothing in the sheds - either for the track or the game - and he bleeds black and white.

If Cal doesn't quite make it in the end it certainly won't be because of lack of commitment and courage.

Go get 'em Browny!

Tippy78

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seemed to be where the ball wasn’t today. I only saw him in the guts a couple of times so that might be why? Did he have a different role than last week?

Back