2019 World Cup General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we just have to change our ideas of what a big score is, 340-350 on these tiny grounds and flat decks is not a match winning score it's probably par and when it's england or india chasing you have to say it's below par and they would be favs to chase it down.

We used to to think 280 was a big score and 320 impossible to chase and that changed quickly and we have to adjust now and stop seeing anything around 300 as a high scoring game, it's just a normal score with 400 being the new 300.

Never been less interested in a World Cup because
a) Par score for most games looks about 370
b) Reduction to 10 teams

The actual format is pretty good though, you can't fluke your way into a knockout quarter final you have to play consistent cricket against all the top sides to make a semi final, some world cups you get unbeaten sides playing a straight knockout with teams that had lost as many games as they won in the early stages which is an awful format that gives no advantage to sides that actually played well throughout.

With no separate groups it also adds more interest watching other sides games as every neutral match impacts your sides chances of going through.

I will say though the weather is the big worry a washout vs a weaker side could easily cost a team a semi final spot, i can't find any info on it but pretty sure the group games have no reserve day which is a huge mistake with only 4 going into the next round.

Last edited:
The actual format is pretty good though, you can't fluke your way into a knockout quarter final you have to play consistent cricket against all the top sides to make a semi final, some world cups you get unbeaten sides playing a straight knockout with teams that had lost as many games as they won in the early stages which is an awful format that gives no advantage to sides that actually played well throughout.

With no separate groups it also adds more interest watching other sides games as every neutral match impacts your sides chances of going through.

I will say though the weather is the big worry a washout vs a weaker side could easily cost a team a semi final spot, i can't find any info on it but pretty sure the group games have no reserve day which is a huge mistake with only 4 going into the next round.

Pretty much every other sport recognises that consistency is rewarded in cup competitions via continuous knockouts.

Apparently cricket is different, as we hold up a tournament in which a team won one of their first five games and then won the cup as a model to follow.

Don't agree at all. Bloated format with less teams = worst of both worlds. It is a commercial format, so that everyone plays against india. Suspect what they have been working towards since bangladesh knocked out India in 2007. I like the knockout element of an underdog being able to knock off a big team on their day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good female commentators there plus they've got Sourav Ganguly! He's a great commentator. Disappointing that Punter isn't in the mix, he's one of the best there is now.

Punter’s an assistant coach for Australia during the cup

He’s a bit of a nothing player tho isn’t he?

Eh? His bowling is top notch for those first few overs.

England also went with reliability with the ball bringing Dawson in at the expense of Denly which I am to be honest a bit disappointed about as I like Denly. But can see the rationale for team balance sake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back