Best premiership side out of Bulldogs 2016, Richmond 2017 and West Coast 2018

Which of these premiership sides is the best of the last 3 years?

• Total voters

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Surely everyone gets a good giggle out of Tiger fans calling injuries when they were ruthless on the Pies fans all last year. It's said without a trace of irony either. Glorious.

Yeah k no one is giggling so stop talking s**t. Here’s the thing now listen cause some of you are a little wet behind the ears!

Richmond’s losses tiger fans weren’t harping on like the pies last year, it was painful every game they lost injuries injuries injuries and when they won didn’t hear boo! The whole AFL had to read their comments after each loss bout their long injury list.

Now yes tigers are decimated by injuries this year but our three losses most tiger fans just accepted we just weren’t good enough on the day!!!

Last edited:

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
They didn't win out of Victoria all year. So yes. If they had played Adelaide in Adelaide they wouldn't be premiers.

Now now don’t lie!
In 2017 We played 6 games Interstate and won 4 out of 6, one of the two losses was a controversial disallowed goal V GWS in the last minute which to this day I still believe it was a goal and would’ve given us five wins out of six interstate. Now that’s fact!

Last edited:

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm going a bit early and this may come back to bite me -

I think that we are a much better side than Swans/Crows of 17, 18. If we keep playing the footy we're playing I say West Coast because they beat a bloody good team while as we saw with the following years of either Swans/Crows they just weren't 'that' good.

Its not the coach

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm going a bit early and this may come back to bite me -

I think that we are a much better side than Swans/Crows of 17, 18. If we keep playing the footy we're playing I say West Coast because they beat a bloody good team while as we saw with the following years of either Swans/Crows they just weren't 'that' good.
You were surely a better team on grand final day and really should have won it. And are clearly my favourites this year, But that don't garantee anything, you only have to look what you'd did to Richmond in the preliminary final last year. So in my view West coast can thank Collingwood for the flag, Richmond would have beat them.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
You were surely a better team on grand final day and really should have won it. And are clearly my favourites this year, But that don't garantee anything, you only have to look what you'd did to Richmond in the preliminary final last year. So in my view West coast can thank Collingwood for the flag, Richmond would have beat them.

Agree with that; it's only predicated on IF we maintain this form.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Still yet to be convinced that West Coast last season weren't the best, most worthy Premiers of the trio, all things taken into consideration (and that isn't meant to be an insult on the Dogs and Tigers)

gippytiger

Senior List
Sep 8, 2017
Gippsland
AFL Club
Richmond
As much as the tiges victory in 2017 was awesome, I can't help but think that the doggies victory in 2016 with away wins in Perth and Sydney was all the more admirable. But then, had the 2016 dogs met the 2017 tigers in a final......well we'll never know the outcome. Both teams were good, and given the form they were in I would have tipped either against the 2018 weagles.

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Tiges easily. Hit hard by injuries to quality key players this year. They're a well drilled tough outfit when up and running. Jury still out on WC atm, hard to get a guage on where they're at following last years flag. Doggies, all credit to them seems to have been a one off. Can happen when a team just fires up at the same time and play selfless, united team football. Didn't seem to be much competition that year though.

Astro_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In 2016, 7 teams had 15+ wins going into the final series, therefore the strongest collection of teams entering a finals series over the 3 years.

Of the 6 teams above them, the Dogs beat 4 of them, two which were interstate.

Doesnt get better than that.

Throughout 2016, the Dogs beat every team in the competition bar Geelong

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
In 2016, 7 teams had 15+ wins going into the final series, therefore the strongest collection of teams entering a finals series over the 3 years.

Of the 6 teams above them, the Dogs beat 4 of them, two which were interstate.

Doesnt get better than that.

Throughout 2016, the Dogs beat every team in the competition bar Geelong
Alternatively, these clubs banked so many wins because the bottom 6 was utterly terrible.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
So in my view West coast can thank Collingwood for the flag, Richmond would have beat them.
Yet in the only meeting last year West Coast smashed Richmond.... And since apparently MCG isn't an advantage on Grand Final day, you're basing your Tigers tip on what exactly?

As much as the tiges victory in 2017 was awesome, I can't help but think that the doggies victory in 2016 with away wins in Perth and Sydney was all the more admirable. But then, had the 2016 dogs met the 2017 tigers in a final......well we'll never know the outcome. Both teams were good, and given the form they were in I would have tipped either against the 2018 weagles.

Well considering the Dogs beat you as the away team in your premiership run, went down by three points in your premiership offence, and again beat you this year, I wouldn’t encourage you to put money on it.

Its not the coach

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yet in the only meeting last year West Coast smashed Richmond.... And since apparently MCG isn't an advantage on Grand Final day, you're basing your Tigers tip on what exactly?
Basing it on it would have been at the mcg, Richmond were never good travelers at the best of times.The mcg is an advantage to them. It's just my opinion.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
Well considering the Dogs beat you as the away team in your premiership run, went down by three points in your premiership offence, and again beat you this year, I wouldn’t encourage you to put money on it.
It was your home game in 2017 (@ Docklands). That was also the one with one of the worst deliberate calls I've ever seen which secured the win for you. We play one AFL mandated home* game each year at Docklands and in 2017 it was vs Brisbane.

To be fair to the Dogs, you guys have had it over us for the last few seasons (you should have beaten us last year rd 23). Definitely our new bogey team, having taken that mantle from NM.

*please move it to the G!

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
From the sheer dominance of Richmond in 2017 I would say them. A clear winner will be determined at the end of Sep this year when Richmond and WC play off in the 2019 GF.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
From the sheer dominance of Richmond in 2017 I would say them. A clear winner will be determined at the end of Sep this year when Richmond and WC play off in the 2019 GF.

Don't discount the Doggies if they sneak into the 8, they are gathering some serious confidence.

IMO West Coast are going to go Back to Back and deserve to be rated better.

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
Don't discount the Doggies if they sneak into the 8, they are gathering some serious confidence.

IMO West Coast are going to go Back to Back and deserve to be rated better.

Doggies are a danger to whoever plays them in September. At the moment they are looking more convincing than either Richmond or WC. But I do think it is between the Tigers and the Eagles ( I am expecting a cracking game of footy this weekend between them)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Richmond.

They have been the best side over the last 3 seasons, blew their chance big time of back to back last year.

They remind me of the Power 2001-2004 and Bombers 1999-2001, under achieved and lost their chance for a dominant era.

Contador

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Clearly the Dogs. Won more games than Richmond in their premiership year, and the same number as the Eagles in theirs. Eagles only had to beat Collingwood and Melbourne (lol) in their finals run. Dogs had an incredibly hard finals series and overcame all. No contest.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
If you're just talking how good the teams are, out of Richmond and West Coast, but the Dogs were no slouches. All had very similar seasons, BUT the Dogs and Eagles had more injuries that the Tigers so there's that.

Best performance on grand final day: Richmond, they flogged the Crows and never looked like losing. We did come back from a fair way back, but it was hardly a dominant performance. Hard to compare finals performancws as the Dogs had to play 4 finals and travel.

As a feel good story they all have something special, Dogs being the standout, underdogs written off, injuries, against the odds breaking a 62 year drought. Couldn't have been set up better. Richmond breaking a 37 year drought. Eagles injuries and coming back on the day.

Back