Review Geelong defeats WB at Kp by 44 points

Remove this Banner Ad

The Doggies played really well, they are a good middle-ranking team and capable of beating most teams, if they catch them off guard. We did what was necessary. Sheer class took the win to an outrageous 44 points.

Duncan seems in career-best form, has really turned it on this year. Fort was worth his spot, 3 goals an excellent return. Abbott, well I hope Rhys is back ASAP. Good goal from Abbott though, if only he could transfer his goal kicking ability to Rhys, will have to wait till next century before we can do that dammit.

My response was to your second question; "...Any other former Geelong players so bitter + über pathetic?":)
Huh? Really? Sam Newman is bitter about Geelong? OK, why? I've not seen it.

Bit unfair on Abbott after the one game but he was totally owned by Trengove which is a huge concern - hope Rhys gets the rest he needs and comes back soon
Fort is nowhere near the ground pressure player Sav is but we played him close to goal for the majority of time forward and at 205cm he’s a real handful- kudos to the coaches
3 goals is a very handy return
Good to have a look at them both and maybe Abbott gets another chance if Rhys is in need of a break , Fort looks a good swap for Sav who now needs to lift to keep his spot

Scrappy win but so what.

I'd say it was anything but scrappy, perhaps we're not on the same page though. Our efficiency and accuracy was amazing. Geelong are a very dangerous side, our forward line additions of Rohan and Dahlhaus have made a huge difference.

As with last week, our intent wasn't great defensively across the ground for a large portions of the game, they had a lot of opportunities. They were able to move the ball too easily at times... they do flick it around well though.

Losing Dangerfield will hurt. He's underappreciated, look at the MVP votes. Many fans don't understand just how effective he is. If he and Selwood didn't play today, we would have been near on totally noncompetitive in the midfield.

When you win by 8 goals playing that badly you’re travelling pretty well.

What troubles me is Dogs played the blueprint game to beat us and others will copy it and be better at it.

Loved Duncan, Selwood, Rohan, Hawkins, Fort.

Thought the back six had a shocker.

We had our arse handed to us in the midfield. Dangerfield invisible and Kelly only got going late.

Overall, a familiar refrain: bank the 4 points and move on.

What troubles me is Dogs played the blueprint game to beat us and others will copy it and be better at it.

We had our arse handed to us in the midfield. Dangerfield invisible and Kelly only got going late.

Dangerfield invisible in the middle? Check his heat map. Only got going in the middle when he was in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield invisible in the middle? Check his heat map. Only got going in the middle when he was in there.
Re-read what I said. He was invisible, in part, because he wasn’t in the middle much.

And it doesn’t change the fact we got destroyed out of the middle.

Need Stanley to be fit and in form. We were murdered by a non ruckman tonight. God knows what would have happened if we’d been up against Grundy?

Thought our better players (Duncan, Danger, Sel, Hawkins) stood up at key moments. We looked like a team for much of the game that was heading for a possible loss but this team has another gear which is comforting.

Like catempire I do think teams are slowly working us out now though. That concerns me come finals time. Will we be ready for that?

Re-read what I said. He was invisible, in part, because he wasn’t in the middle much.

And it doesn’t change the fact we got destroyed out of the middle.
Haha good save. We certainly got destroyed in the middle but hard to put that on danger. Watch when Guthrie lines up on bont in the middle. I keep hearing he’s our defensive mid...

We were murdered by a non ruckman tonight.
I keep reading this and I don’t get it. To my eye at the ground we won and I see the hitout count is 40-28 our way. Now you might say we should have won by more given who we were up against but to say we were beaten let alone murdered seems, how do I put this, wrong?

Haha good save. We certainly got destroyed in the middle but hard to put that on danger. Watch when Guthrie lines up on bont in the middle. I keep hearing he’s our defensive mid...
I didn’t put it on Danger.

What concerned me this week is the way the Doggies play IS , or HAS BEEN, the way to beat us.
I really thought we wouldn't have Rohan this week, and that affected my tip.
Manic pressure around the contests with superquick (risky) handballs at all costs. They are one of the best at doing this and their MF is exquisite, yet we have improved many areas that were deficient last year.
Rohan and Dahlhaus are crucial there, as is Miers, and Atkins who was out today.
To come away with a win like this is exceptional. No team is going to be a pushover, and I actually rate the Doggies, clearly a lot more than most of our Board.
The "invisible" Dangerfield still had over 20 possessions and a goal - he is marked harshly. Kelly was definitely beaten today, yet we find a way to get the ball forwards and that forward line is awesome this year.
We have areas that can and will improve, and we are 8-1.
Way better than any of us would have predicted 3 months ago.
Fort contributed well and deserves to play again next week.
Hope Stanley and Atkins return next week.

Absolutely correct on Sav, he just needs to find some confidence back. And maybe playing games in the VFL finding the ball. Clunking those grabs, kicking a few goals... He is a raw potential but it's a long term project.

Id again say..id not play him in the VFL ..he need a little Schlensog type non playing training block.

It was a good first game by Fort.. he made the most of his chances ... but he will find far harder opposition than the Dogs.. and he was not what id call a strong mark. I can remember when Stanley kicked 5 against an under sized dogs.. so credit to him but lets not start buying the strawberries and cream for the Pavlova ..when the chickens havent even laid the eggs yet.

Fort has done what he had to. He has put the JLT form to bed ..set himself a new storry and confirmed that he will be around on our list a while..but in no way does he look a forward threat at this stage. When he starts clunking the marks ..then we can talk. Some of his ruck work looked OK but he will not be replacing Stanley anytime soon.

In fact id say looking at Abbott and Fort.. it would only confirm we proably need to continue to look at a more classy options if one is available at some stage in the future. Smith now is 4th option.

They did but I felt it was the midfield again... Danger was obviously not right. Take Atkins out and Constable drops form and it seemed at times we were back to The Falls Creek midfield. I think they will be hoping that Fogarty gets thru the VFL game tom.

Basically when we played ordinary football but have enough up our sleve to win like we did shows we are starting to get a threatening look to us. Coversion make a lot of wrongs right.

I reckon it was a very good win in the end, although a strange sort of game to watch, as it was the first time i'd been to a game live for yonks.

The Dogs are elite and flicking the ball around, and are almost the best 'punchers' or spoilers where quite often a Geelong forway forward would find a defensive punch that would with radar accuracy find a random loose Dog...and they were very dangerous as they switched play regularly to find targets forward, especially midfielder Toby McLean and the red-knob who did it all against Geelong last year.

After the Bont kicked those two very long goals, and the Dogs scored the opening goal of the last, i was quite concerned, as it did appear we were just not getting first hands on the ball, and just 9 points up and looking shaky. But after that the team really knuckled down and just ran away with it, and wound up kicking an imposing 21.7.133. I saw after the game 50 inside 50's, and 28 scores from them...and also Geelong had 40 less possessions too.

Given Geelong had a pair of ruckmen who probably scored as many goals today as combined games played, and Danger who is still somewhat hamstrung with his ankle, and finished off the ground, it was a pretty good effort in the end. The ability of Geelong to put on bursts of 3-4 goals in quick time is invaluable, and whether it's a glorious outlier or a sign of high confidence and efficiency..the 4th game in a row Geelong has started with something like 5.0 or thereabouts, and the 21.7 final scoreline shows a side that can win in different ways, close tight games like against Essendon, or higher scoring games when sides try to open it up and play daring footy. I'm pretty happy in the end seeing how this game panned out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back