Preview Round 10, 2019: St.Kilda v Carlton - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 26th May, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 75 91.5%
  • Blues

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1PgO6yF.png

Preview
St.Kilda v Carlton

06wpRcr.jpg

St.Kilda drop to 4-5 on the season after their fourth successive defeat, this time by 41 points to Collingwood on the MCG. After hanging with the Magpies for three quarters the Saints fell away in the last.

Carlton were insipid from the outset, trailing by 40 points at quarter time before the Giants piled on another 13 goals in the remaining three quarters to run away 93 point winners. Carlton's 8th loss for the season sees them enter Round 10 on the bottom of the AFL ladder.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Daniel McKenzie, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Jonathon Marsh
C: Ed Phillips, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Dean Kent
F: Robbie Young, Tim Membrey, Jade Gresham
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair
I/C: Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Ben Paton, Matthew Parker

Carlton Best 22
B:
Dale Thomas, Jacob Weitering, Caleb Marchbank
HB: Nic Newman, Mitch McGovern, Jack Silvagni
C: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
HF: Zac Fisher, Levi Casboult, Darcy Lang
F: Michael Gibbons, Harry McKay, Harrison Macreadie
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Sam Walsh, Paddy Dow
I/C: Lochie O'Brien, Liam Stocker, Charlie Curnow, Will Setterfield

Medical Room

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2009%20-%20GWS%20v%20Carlton/676162_gl.jpg[/IMG]

The Saints' Ed Phillips passed a concussion test and eventually returned to the field after copping a high hit from Magpie Travis Varcoe late in the first quarter.

As for Carlton, Marc Murphy was sent to hospital to get his rubs checked after he was crunched by Shane Mumford in the first term, and the former skipper was a big loss for the Blues.

Preview

[IMG='width:651px;']http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jimmy+Webster+Carlton+Vs+St+Kilda+JLT+Community+bMOq0-D8XiZl.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda's tough fixture concluded on Saturday afternoon at the MCG against Collingwood in what was Josh Bruce's 100th game, Shane Savage's 150th game, and livewire young forward Robbie Young's AFL debut. The Saints were in the game for the best part of three quarters before Collingwood went into another gear in the final term to put the result beyond doubt. Good news for Saints fans however is now the fixture plays into their hands well, with the majority of the Saints remaining games against teams below them on the ladder.

In what was a tough loss on Saturday, it was forward Tim Membrey who stood up for St.Kilda - kicking 4 goals, including 9 score involvements, 11 disposals and 6 marks to be voted best on ground for the afternoon.

Other notable performances included Jack Billings (29 disposals, 8 marks), Shane Savage (25 disposals, 1 goal), Luke Dunstan (30 disposals, 5 tackles) and midfield tagger Jack Steele (25 disposals, 4 marks & 7 tackles).

And a nod to Robbie Young who electrified the crowd with two goals on debut.

Carlton have been commended for their fighting spirit this year, but ultimately falling short on most occasions with losses to Richmond, Port Adelaide, Sydney, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Collingwood and now GWS. Their sole victory for the year against the Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium. Unfortunately Carlton are again staring down the barrel of another bottom four season, and a stark reality of the difference in quality came on Sunday afternoon as the Giants demolished the hapless Blues to the tune of 93 points.

In what was the worst loss of Carlton's year, they must take some positives from the loss. Harry McKay was solid up forward, kicking 3 goals to go along with 13 disposals and 6 marks, and Nic Newman was the leading disposal getter on the ground for the Blues, finishing with 29 touches and voted best on ground.

Potential changes

[IMG='width:651px;']http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/JLT3MeSt18MW1379-e1522291104236-760x438.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda's Hunter Clark looks set to come straight back into the side following his 31 disposal (and 1 goal) game in the VFL against Essendon on Sunday.

Other notable inclusions could be Nick Coffield (22 disposals, 6 marks), Nick Hind (22 disposals, 3 tackles), and Ben Long (15 disposals, 4 tackles).

Key Match-Ups

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2009%20-%20GWS%20v%20Carlton/676415_gl.jpg[/IMG]

Patrick Cripps
The Carlton captain had a very quiet night in the Blues loss to the Giants, however great players don't stay down for long, and if the Saints (and primarily Jack Steele) can get a hold of the two time John Nicholls' medalist in the middle, they'll put themselves in a great position to win the game.

Harry McKay
McKay kicked three goals on Sunday against the Giants - almost half of Carlton's entire goal tally. With St.Kilda's makeshift back six giving up 17 goals to Collingwood on Saturday afternoon, stopping McKay will be front of mind.

Tip

[IMG='width:651px;']https://i.imgur.com/ivLjmYw.jpg[/IMG]

Thankfully the toughest stretch of games for St.Kilda's season is over, and now the draw really opens up with winnable games littering the back half of the year. It starts this weekend for the Saints, with the Blues coming off a 93 point drubbing and their ex captain in Marc Murphy out with injury. After matching it for three quarters with last years Grand Finalists and a premiership fancy in Collingwood, I think the Saints are ready to get back onto the winners list and do it convincingly.

Saints by 58 points.

Thoughts?

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
This won’t be as easy as you guys all think.

But what would I ducking know right?

:rolleyes:

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
The St Kilda in me thinks this is very losable. But surely not..

We’re simply not kicking scores or having any impact in the middle to be confident at present. I do worry about their forwards, in Mackay and Curnow. And we have to stop Cripps. Somehow.

Depending on tomorrow, I want Clark and Hind in. Pace the key to this game. Break them open.

LiterallyNobody

30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
The St Kilda in me thinks this is very losable. But surely not..

We’re simply not kicking scores or having any impact in the middle to be confident at present. I do worry about their forwards, in Mackay and Curnow. And we have to stop Cripps. Somehow.

Depending on tomorrow, I want Clark and Hind in. Pace the key to this game. Break them open.
Yes yes yes. Pace is super important. We need every speedster we can get.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would like Gresham to really stand up this week too. Show us he is worth every cent please. We know he is but it’s nice to sign someone and have them immediately have a massive impact.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agreed. We must win this game. But this is a massive danger game. If we are not at our best we are vulnerable.

I am pretty confident they won’t go into this game thinking all they have to is turn up to win but I’m a little nervous about them possibly taking them lightly.

But here’s the absolute crux.

Kick straight. I’ve had enough of 10.10, 9.12 and 10.14. The last four weeks we have scored 10.8, 10.10, 10.10 and 10.11

I want to see something more like the 15.5 against Melbourne. Tired of inaccuracy. It feels like no matter what we do nothing improves.

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
We haven’t lost a game when Acres has had 28+ touches. Play him in the guts or send him to Sandringham, unsure what his role is at the moment but it’s a complete waste of talent and a spot in the 22.

Newnes and Kent should also be on the chopping block, not good enough for players of their experience. Hind is well due to debut this game.

Hayes4PM

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Must win, I'd consider dropping Newnes and Acres but to be fair Acres is just being plonked anywhere like a utility, pretty sure the coaches think he's Jeremy McGovern. I'd look at White/Hind/Clark as an in for Newnes. Honestly, Clark is a cut above VFL, I'm just not sure his tank is up to AFL standards yet, but * it, he played well last week and if he plays well again tomorrow, then bring him in for Newnes.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
In Carlisle, Roberton, Geary, Steven, Hannebery and Lonie.

Out - Brown, Paton, Phillips, Sinclair, Marsh and Kent.

Geary Battle McKenzie
Roberton Carlisle Savage
Hannebery Steele Billings
Young Bruce Parker
Lonie Membrey Gresham

Marshall Ross Steven

Int Wilkie, Dunstan, Newnes, Acres

Ekomaira

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda

Geary Battle McKenzie
Roberton Carlisle Savage
Young Bruce Parker
Lonie Membrey Gresham

Marshall Ross Steven

Spiderman's younger brother Young Bruce Parker

Geary Battle McKenzie
Roberton Carlisle Savage
Young Bruce Parker
Lonie Membrey Gresham

Marshall Ross Steven

Doubt Robbo will be back, sadly.
Webster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back