2019 Premiership Predictions + Finals smokies - Are Brisbane the Dark Horse for this years Flag?

Will Richmond win the 2019 premiership?

• Yes

Votes: 56 20.9%
  • Finish Runners Up

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • Bow out in the Prelims

Votes: 75 28.0%
  • Semi Finalists

Votes: 45 16.8%
  • First round exit

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • Won't play finals

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • Collingwood will win it - Redemption for 2018

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • West Coast - Back to Back for Bunga and the Boys

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Geelong - Dangerfield and Ablett will rise. Kelly will Kill.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brisbane - The Baby '' Bears '' will surprise all

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • Bulldogs - 2016 Allover again

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Essendon - Avalanche Beckons

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Adelaide - Against the odds

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Port - Powerhouse Players get it done

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the swans couldn't repeat what they did 2 years ago & make the 8 after winning only one of the first 7 games? They have had luck on their side in the past 2 weeks but I expect it'll be bound to run out
No chance. When they played finals after 0-6, they only lost 2 games for the rest of the season (both against the Hawks). With a very young and inexperienced team this year, it's not going to happen.

Has to be out of Geelong and Collingwood, at this stage.

A lot will change - who knows how Richmond lift with a full side, can the Eagles play 4 quarters, what do GWS do to correct their recent wobble etc.

But right now there's 2 sides that are above the rest and the ladder shows that.

Brisbane for the time being firmly sit in the basket of "need to convince otherwise". Don't have the recent runs on the board to make 3rd as meaningful if say, it was Adelaide/Hawthorn sitting there. But if they keep winning perception will change.

Surely the swans couldn't repeat what they did 2 years ago & make the 8 after winning only one of the first 7 games? They have had luck on their side in the past 2 weeks but I expect it'll be bound to run out

They were under siege from us tonight in the last and we couldn't make them pay - their defence is well structured and well lead but I don't think it's controversial to say that a better team with the same momentum as North would have made them pay for letting the midfield battle slip late.

They've got Collingwood, Geelong and West Coast before the bye and a 1-2 result would be season over. Not the best record at home recently so 2 home games isn't anything great for them.

Maybe I'll eat my words in 3 weeks time but with such a young side and some key outs, they're facing an uphill battle to repeat any heroics.

They were under siege from us tonight in the last and we couldn't make them pay - their defence is well structured and well lead but I don't think it's controversial to say that a better team with the same momentum as North would have made them pay for letting the midfield battle slip late.

They've got Collingwood, Geelong and West Coast before the bye and a 1-2 result would be season over. Not the best record at home recently so 2 home games isn't anything great for them.

Maybe I'll eat my words in 3 weeks time but with such a young side and some key outs, they're facing an uphill battle to repeat any heroics.
They will beat WC you'd think.

WC bogey side.

The Grand Final winner this year will come out of either Geelong, Collingwood, West Coast or Richmond. Would be very very surprised if it was someone else. Give GWS or Adelaide a sniff if thats it. If Essendon actually learnt how to play I suppose they could be a chance. It's okay to say anyone can win it but at the end of the day it comes down to those final few games and they're the only teams I can see winning them.

The Grand Final winner this year will come out of either Geelong, Collingwood, West Coast or Richmond. Would be very very surprised if it was someone else. Give GWS or Adelaide a sniff if thats it. If Essendon actually learnt how to play I suppose they could be a chance. It's okay to say anyone can win it but at the end of the day it comes down to those final few games and they're the only teams I can see winning them.
WC the only interstate side I give a chance at the G vs a Victorian club.

A big if, but if we can replicate the second half of last season we have a dark horse chance. But it should be Pies, Tigers or Eagles. Perhaps Geelong, but they have to convince me in a final first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like we are in a bit of no man's land, certainly ain't contending but 6-3 isn't really a dark horse to make finals since it's a realistic chance now.

If we miss finals from here, is it considered a failure? I'd still say 9th-12th is a pass mark for us.

Feel like we are in a bit of no man's land, certainly ain't contending but 6-3 isn't really a dark horse to make finals since it's a realistic chance now.

If we miss finals from here, is it considered a failure? I'd still say 9th-12th is a pass mark for us.
A 9th to 12th finish from here is an improvement on last season. But as of right now that would be a fail for mine.

Cant see us making the big dance but should be playing finals footy this year.

One team other than those may come out of the box and strike,you can never ever write off Hawthorn with Clarko coaching.
I think they enjoy hiding under the radar.

Did a ladder predictor as a mess around again and had

WCE
GEE
COL
RIC

As top 4. Eagles getting done by the Tigers first week at home, Cats ousted by the Pies. Both recovered the next week against GWS and Adelaide but lost in the prelims. Cats falling to Richmond and Eagles losing to the Pies.

Wouldn't a Collingwood vs Richmond Grand Final be something.

Pretty much at the half way mark of the season already. 10 games played, 12 to go, Surprise packets and teams that haven't delivered. West Coast has picked up the last couple of weeks while the Catters haven't showed any signs that their spectacular form is a flash in the pan. The Pies keep on getting the job done and the Lions, the joker in the pack have proved a slippery slope to slide in Season 2019. Freo have got a pass mark thus far, and the Hawks once again continue to defy the odds with their impressive spirit and never say die attitude. The Giant Juggernaut have made a statement or two and for now at least have the MCG Monkey off their back (to be continued ) Anyway as it stands right now, if the finals were played this weekend we'd have some pretty cracking encounters to contend with.

The Ladder

1. Geelong
2. Collingwood
3. GWS
4. Richmond
5. West Coast
6. Brisbane
7. Adelaide
8. Hawthorn

Qualifying Final Thursday Night - Well hello this is interesting. Where would this game be played at? A damn good question that needs to be answered. I'll take a neutral point of view in this approach and have this contest at the MCG:) Victorians love a good spectacle, and you can't go past 90,000+ at the G on a Thursday Night.

Qualifying Final 2

Collingwood vs GWS

Would be a Saturday nighter I reckon as it was last year, and as was the Eagles vs Pies QF2 in Perth at Optus Stadium. Like the above would be a rematch of a past final, but not as mouth watering and enticing as the aforementioned.

I simply couldn't tip past the Pies in this tussle. They've sown an ability to get the job done and ride out wave after wave of opposition attack. At least in the last 7 games anyway. I have enormous faith that they'll go up an extra notch or two come finals as well as possessing a powerful player crop and team unity, they'll reign supreme in front of their ferocious Black and White Army. The Giants did get upstaged only a year ago and still haven't won on the MCG when it matters. Maggies grind out the Victory.

1st Elimination Final

West Coast Eagles vs Hawthorn

Friday Night Block Buster In Perth. Another past but more recent finals match up against the 2015 and 1991 Grand Finalists. Certainly have some history and also met on a Friday Night Final in Perth, also in 2015. Looks juicy on paper. And the reigning Premiers wouldn't like to find themselves in a do or die affair in the first week of the finals. Not was envisioned Pre-Season, but one which the Eagles won't be afraid in. Never discount Clarkson and Co as the mastermind tactician has solved many a riddle. But if we're going off right now, the Eagles although at times found wandering certainly would start short priced favourites.

2nd Elimination Final

Brisbane vs Adelaide

Finals Footy once again returns to Brizzy and these sides have played out two pearlers in the last two occasions at the GABBA. The Lions would be favoured to eclipse the Crows ( the unconvincing Crows ) but Adelaide wouldn't be out of it by any means. Could go either way but my money would be on the Lions to scalp the W in this one.

As for the opener well we are the better team and the best side in the comp at this stage and that's proven. But would anyone want to face Richmond at the MCG in front of a boisterous reception? ( unless your Collingwood ) they did upstage us in 2017 setting up another date at their fortress hosting a mammoth Preliminary Final. The Tigers are missing many, but in finals anything can happen. In Football, in Sport, anything can happen. I'm throwing my form book out the window here and will tip against my Catters against a side who was a titanic thorn in our Cats paw two years ago. Richmond to get the job done through home support;) If the game was played the GMBHA, that's another story. For another time.

Rest of the finals to follow

Last edited:
Semi Finals

Geelong vs West Coast - MCG

Friday Night and the Cats are on the verge of a straight sets elimination. Something that occurred in 2014. Geelong did find themselves in the same scenario two years ago facing a resurgent Sydney team.They were able to withstand that challenge and travel to Adelaide for a Prelim a week later. This time they'd face the reigning Premiers who they thumped about a month ago. Unfortunately the Eagles have rediscovered their unfaltering belief and rise to the occasion once more at their new '' Fortress MCG '' Heartache for Geelong supporters ( again against WCE in a final ) and the Eagles waltzing Matera to the MCG again in a weeks time.

GWS vs Brisbane

Giants too good in this one. Got blitzed in Adelaide on the road in week 1 of the 2017 finals but smashed the Eagles at Spotless in week 2. Too much finals experience. Too much firepower at home vs an inexperienced Brisbane side who more than fulfilled their task in 2019.

Preliminary Finals

Richmond vs GWS - Friday Night MCG

Sound familiar? Just two years ago the Tige's found themselves in this exact situation looking to leap into a Grand Final for the first time in over 3 decades. Richmond dispatched of the Giants before going on to capture the flag and history repeats here as the week off keeps the legs fresh of a battle hardened and pumped up Dusty Martin. Tiger Blitz in the opening term. 6 goals to 1 and the Giants never recover. Richmond against all odds remarkably find themselves back in the Grand Final and almost fully healthy as early casualties are back on the Park, firing at the mark. Looks set to be a rematch of last years prelim but before that, in the prelim, a rematch of last years Grand Final. West Coast against Collingwood.

Collingwood vs West Coast

The Mighty Magpies have yet another chance to atone for several West Coast heartache's with the Eagles more than having had their measure. A week off and a crack at Redemption see's the Pies in good spirits. But what is it against West Coast? The Blue and Gold have seen an emergence in form with key players Hurn, McGovern, Shuey and Yeo rising to the occasion. Dom Sheed has once again brought out his September boots ( this time in June, technically May ) and looks a constant menace. When I say menace I also speak of Flyin Ryan. And Rioli. And Vardy. And even wait for it, Jack Darling. Sorry Magpies, but like a sorry script that keeps replaying itself ( not just against the Eagles, but in September ) The Eagles simply can't miss. Cripps is looking like Daicos, Kennedy like Sav, and Shuey does the Mick McGuane wishing the Pies brought back Dane Swan. The Eagles run riot and win in a canter. Setting up a showdown that we all thought we were going to see last year. Richmond vs West Coast.

The Grand Final

Tigers vs The Eagles - Saturday, 2.30, MCG

Last edited:
The Grand Final

Richmond vs West Coast

What we all wanted to see last year, but sadly for Richmond fans ( and great for West Coast ) the Pies put paid to the Tigers hopes of B2B and were put to the sword a week later against the armoured Blue and Gold brigade. A match of epic proportions, who would emerge triumphant?

The first term see's a see-sawing battle with Richmond shading the honours leading by 4 points at Quarter time. Dusty is at his inspirational best and rounds an opponent, checks back, and snaps over his shoulder to slot his second goal on the siren. B.O.G at this stage but we're only one quarter in. Plenty of time for Sheed to shine.

Term 2

Not much separating the two here. Pettrucelle just went through 6th gear. Eagles get their noses in front ( see what I did there ) and go in to the main break with a 6.5 to 5.6 lead. Dusty well held in the 2nd and McGovern and Hurn combine with Barrass and Duggan to thwart the attack of Lynch and Riewoldt.

3rd Quarter

The Plot thickens and unfolds even more. Who will be first to the ball? Will it be Shuey, Will it be Houli? Cotchin, Sheed, Martin or Ruckmen Tom Hickey? Not he as out roared Nick Natanui. The Eagles don't give an inch and the Tige's don't back down one either. As we did remarkably in 2018 we go into the final quarter of 2019 with scores tied. 9.8 a piece. a Goal more than what it was a year earlier.

4th quarter

De Ja Vu allover again. Dusty this time nails both as the Tigers take a two goal lead 2 mins into the last quarter. But we've all seen it before. The Eagles have seen it before. McGovern holds firm, Shuey slithers through like a worm. Dom Sheed will make you bleed. And that he does as he nails the last two goals of the Granny giving West Coast a 17 point win. JackDarling erases his tag as choker as he also kicked two vital last quarter goals as West Coast stormed home with the final 5 winning 14.11 95 to Richmond's 11.12 78.

Norm Smith - Dom Sheed

Goal Kickers - Sheed 4 Darling 3 JK 2
Richmond - Martin 4 Riewoldt 3 Lynch 3

Last edited:
D0xku2d.jpg

The Grand Final

Richmond vs West Coast

What we all wanted to see last year, but sadly for Richmond fans ( and great for West Coast ) the Pies put paid to the Tigers hopes of B2B and were put to the sword a week later against the armoured Blue and Gold brigade. A match of epic proportions, who would emerge triumphant?

The first term see's a see-sawing battle with Richmond shading the honours leading by 4 points at Quarter time. Dusty is at his inspirational best and rounds an opponent, checks back, and snaps over his shoulder to slot his second goal on the siren. B.O.G at this stage but we're only one quarter in. Plenty of time for Sheed to shine.

Term 2

Not much separating the two here. Pettrucelle just went through 6th gear. Eagles get their noses in front ( see what I did there ) and go in to the main break with a 6.5 to 5.6 lead. Dusty well held in the 2nd and McGovern and Hurn combine with Barrass and Duggan to thwart the attack of Lynch and Riewoldt.

3rd Quarter

The Plot thickens and unfolds even more. Who will be first to the ball? Will it be Shuey, Will it be Houli? Cotchin, Sheed, Martin or Ruckmen Tom Hickey? Not he as out roared Nick Natanui. The Eagles don't give an inch and the Tige's don't back down one either. As we did remarkably in 2018 we go into the final quarter of 2019 with scores tied. 9.8 a piece. a Goal more than what it was a year earlier.

4th quarter

De Ja Vu allover again. Dusty this time nails both as the Tigers take a two goal lead 2 mins into the last quarter. But we've all seen it before. The Eagles have seen it before. McGovern holds firm, Shuey slithers through like a worm. Dom Sheed will make you bleed. And that he does as he nails the last two goals of the Granny giving West Coast a 17 point win. JackDarling erases his tag as choker as he also kicked two vital last quarter goals as West Coast stormed home with the final 5 winning 14.11 95 to Richmond's 11.12 78.

Norm Smith - Dom Sheed

Call the rest of the season off b2b confirmed

The Grand Final

Richmond vs West Coast

Term 2

3rd Quarter

4th quarter

Norm Smith - Dom Sheed

I liked every post but the last. ;)

I liked every post but the last. ;)
TBH mate, when I was writing it, I was envisioning Martin and Co running into open goals with the crowd roaring and Richmond sealing the victory. A dejected McGovern walking back from the goal square looking at the ground etc. But there was one man who swayed my vision the other way. He shaded it. Or should I say, Sheeded it;)

Back