Review Geelong defeats WB at Kp by 44 points

Remove this Banner Ad

During the 3rd quarter I tried to pay more attention to the ruck contests to see how Abbott was actually going - he seemed to win hitouts (especially around the ground) with a bit of ease, but he wasn't really getting it to our advantage.
Yeah, I thought the same. He won hit outs but didn't seem to be able to tap to our guys. maybe that's the difference between a good ruckman and a great one. A great one can pinpoint midfielders for a clearance when they can win the tap out.

Great win by the boys, I said last week we should give Fort a chance he may surprise us all and he didn’t let us down, he is a lovely kick for goal especially under pressure too when we needed it in the last quarter, also was impressed by, Sely, Kelly, Duncan, Tuohy, Ablett, Danger, Taylor, Kolo, Stewart, Rohan, Hawkins, MOC and Abott’s games today! Bring on GCS, Go Cats!

We weren't firing on all cylinders today, and I reckon we are only just covering our weaker performers at the moment, unlike a few weeks ago when everyone seemed solid. Still there IS enough going right to allow us to push off from teams like the Doggies and North and cross the line with daylight in between.

I am particularly concerned about the form of Clark (not solid at all, yet), and Tuohy (very rusty - almost painfully so)
Blitz still has the odd brain fade, or poor execution, and we looked worryingly impotent in the ruck today.

However, on the bright side...:)
- Rohan was very good again
- Miers still holding his excellent form
- O'Connor getting more and more solid all the time. Reckon he might try one of those "speccies" soon, after observing Stewart take flight
- Hawk, Gaz, Duncan excellent again
- Paddy and TK a little subdued, but still very important.
- Guthrie deservedly holding a place in the 22

Hope to see Stanley, Menegola and Atkins (yes, amazingly - Atkins!) back again soon to solidify the team.

Go Cats!

Powerful last quarter. Very pleasing to see the way we responded after they got within 9 points. 44pts flattered us in the end, but it highlights just how potent the forward line is this year. 21 goals is a fantastic return and we're no longer relying on Hawk to hold us together, there are options everywhere. Despite having a long time dislike of Gary Rohan, can I just say how much of a fool I was? I just love watching him play and the chaos he creates.

Mitch Duncan is having a terrific season. His work rate both ways is outstanding. Was a clear B.O.G yesterday.

Defensively we were sloppy as the Dogs kicked their way through us at times, similiar to the way the Giants did, as well as open us up on a turnover. But we tightened that up in the last I felt.

Considering we're also carrying a few sore boys (PFD, TK - who appeared hampered by a lower leg injury yesterday), which is normal at this stage of the year, to keep on banking the wins now allows us to plan and manage players towards the end of the season.

Still staggered by the 8-1 record, I truly am!

Last edited:
Gees henry continues to get a free ride on this board. More people are sticking it to clark in his first year then henry who is in his third year and completely spudding it up.

Henderson is a walk in when he gets fit unless henry lifts massively.
2019 Henry is Seeds’ 2015 Blicavs.

Back in the 07-08 days - we had a 22 that would get out on teams and then keep them at arms length and then have a blistering 7 mins and put them away properly.

This is not that team - however we have been able to keep the at arms length and then do enough to stay in front.
We have a LONG way to go and need to improve considerably IMO to do this against the better sides - ( i doubt right now the form last night applied to the Pies would get us home for example) but what it is doing is building belief. And thats important.

I want to see it done against a stronger side and for a full game - not asking much huh - but there is a foundation building there that yet yield fruits later in the season.

I want to see what happens when we are 4 goals down at 1/4 time - what happens when the kicking % drops and scoring is harder to do.

We need to IMO keep building on what we have - which is good but needs to be better

GO Catters

2019 Henry is Seeds’ 2015 Blicavs.
What is it with football supporters that no matter how well the team is playing, someone must be in the gun? I am struggling to think of a player in the Geelong line up who hasn't been pulling his weight this season, remembering that most predicted us to be bottom half of the 8 at absolute best. Now we are judging them compared to our very best teams of the 07-11 era. Very enjoyable stuff this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:

Rohan, Taylor, Duncan

Poor:

Parfitt, Guthrie, Abbott, Blicavs, Kolodjashnij, Constable, Clark
He's had two stinkers in a row.

I know the ball has been coming in a lot easier over the last two weeks but IMO he still plays too far off his direct opponent.

I get he's still learning but get back to what you were doing for the most part and stop your opponent first.

Imagine losing by 44 points and blaming umpires

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Same supporter base who think we will be ‘exposed’ playing away from KP this season like we aren’t 3-0 at the MCG, 1-0 interstate and 1-0 at Marvel.

2019 Henry is more like 2017 Kolo.

Player with some talent given games in a position where we already have too many better performing players in the same position (stewart and even kolo) making us too top heavy in defence.
The likeness is uncanny. Even down to the false judgement of the players agility.

One player who isnt discussed much is Parfitt. I used to think he was a clever player, now I actually think he is a dumb player.... Stuff like jumping and holding onto a defender and giving away a free when he isn't even close to the contest.

His development has been disappointing to say the least, and I can't see why he is automatic first 22!!

He's had two stinkers in a row.

I know the ball has been coming in a lot easier over the last two weeks but IMO he still plays too far off his direct opponent.

I get he's still learning but get back to what you were doing for the most part and stop your opponent first.
He has played a lot of unnoticed stinkers in the past two years. But as long as he plays some good to great games in between they will keep going unnoticed.

No one can out Blicavs blicavs.

One player who isnt discussed much is Parfitt. I used to think he was a clever player, now I actually think he is a dumb player.... Stuff like jumping and holding onto a defender and giving away a free when he isn't even close to the contest.

His development has been disappointing to say the least, and I can't see why he is automatic first 22!!
Cos he is ahead of atkins, clark and henry.

6 tackles again yesterday. Best forward tackler in our team.

Kelly was below average tonight. We had some key outs and some interesting ins. To pull off a win like that, far out. we have some special players, and the structure is holding right now. Very exciting times for this cats fan.
Myself and others around me watching at the ground were shocked how low kellys numbers were tonight. He was top 3 on the ground easily, most influential player in the centre clearances by far, burned off players and moved through traffic with ease. It was in no way a below average game.

Found it funny how some of the posters most critical of the umpiring in the game day thread on the main board are Eagles supporters, especially after they got an armchair ride in the last quarter to get them to come over the top of the Dees on Friday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back