Review Geelong defeats WB at Kp by 44 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like my false judgement on kerstens agility.

He is so agile he only gets 6 touches a game from non marks (and most of them are handball receives from other defenders).
No you said Kersten was slow. :$

Yeah, I thought the same. He won hit outs but didn't seem to be able to tap to our guys. maybe that's the difference between a good ruckman and a great one. A great one can pinpoint midfielders for a clearance when they can win the tap out.

Stanley wasnt good at that until we gave him an extended run in the ruck. Im not saying we should pick Abbott over Stanley but its hard for rucks and mids to develop sync when they dont regularly play together. I thought Abbotts ground level 2nd efforts were really good considering he is less athletic than Stanley.

Good:

Rohan, Taylor, Duncan

Poor:

Parfitt, Guthrie, Abbott, Blicavs, Kolodjashnij, Constable, Clark

In a game where we lacked accountability, I wouldn’t be so quick to write off Guthrie who had 7 tackles and a goal. Abbott had 27 hit outs - not great but not abysmal, 11 touches, 3 marks, 4 tackles, and arguably the most important goal of the night when the Dogs got within 9 points

Absolutely clueless comment - I hope you’ve been on the sauce - he’s 18 ffs , had glandular fever and an interrupted preseason
Not his best today but still managed to impact positively on a few occasions
He’s got the best leg from his draft and will become a very , very solid part of our core
I think you're a little better than to throw personal insults at people because they disagree with your opinion.

Clark overruns the ball a lot because he's timid and tries to avoid contact, he offers zilch in general play because he lacks awareness and football nous and he's a one trick pony in that his only attribute is that he has the ability to run with the ball and take a few bounces. For a player who kicking was highly rated leading into the draft, I'm yet to see it.

He's too limited as a player and I think we made a mistake with that selection. I said it at the time and nothing he's done in the first 9 rounds has changed my mind.

And no, I wasn't on the sauce. I took my daughter and watched the game from a good vantage point.
Agree with them all except Kolodjashnij. Reasons?
Parfitt is an enigma to me atm. He's become a tease.

Once the ball gets over the back and he's forced to stop or turn quickly he's a liability. He has the turning circle of a mack truck. He needs to play deep.

He's been good so far this year but had a bad game last night.
Imagine losing by 44 points and blaming umpires

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Every game day thread across every round has turned into umpire bashing. From where I was sitting (and sober) I thought we were getting the rough end of the stick.

What's happening is people with grudges and hatred of certain clubs are stinking up game thread with venomous vile and hatred of certain clubs, or simply can't take losing well and look for someone to blame.
He has played a lot of unnoticed stinkers in the past two years. But as long as he plays some good to great games in between they will keep going unnoticed.

No one can out Blicavs blicavs.
Blicavs with ball in hand is a liability. His decision making is quite poor and he lacks composure. I think he's made to look a little better than he is by Stewart dropping into the hole and intercepting like he does. Quite often he has no idea where his opponent is and gets lost.

In a game where we lacked accountability, I wouldn’t be so quick to write off Guthrie who had 7 tackles and a goal. Abbott had 27 hit outs - not great but not abysmal, 11 touches, 3 marks, 4 tackles, and arguably the most important goal of the night when the Dogs got within 9 points
Guthrie missed about 10 tackles with his soft and heartless approach of sticking one hand out. He also doesn't chanse hard enough. I watched him closely last night. His opponent destroyed him and set up a lot of their forward thrusts.

Great call by Reppie about Daz no longer having any shoulder strapping!

Also, Rohan playing best career footy!

One has to think that when you're happy + playing in a successful team, injury/illness issues fly out the door 😻

Both are play marvellous footy! For Gaz, the clock has turned back! For Rohan, career best footy + loves playing for Geelong!
There was an article a couple of days abt GAJ and his shoulder injury. I realised then that he wasn't wearing any. I win!

i was talking to someone at 1/2 time and saying how I loved Clarks attitude to go for the footy.
Jumping at balls most first year players wouldn't etc.

Then I heard his stats.....

I still want him in though.
Kudos to you, you were spot on pre-game with your prediction.

Boring game where we kick away and do enough to win.

He has played a lot of unnoticed stinkers in the past two years. But as long as he plays some good to great games in between they will keep going unnoticed.

No one can out Blicavs blicavs.
I've definitely noticed it more this season, all I remember of him last year was shutting down direct opponents, which is why he won the BF and was in AA consideration.

Whether he's got a bit more arrogance regarding the role this season I don't know, but IMO he's not playing it as well as he should and needs to get back to some of the basics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't watch the game yesterday - was working - but do I seriously count 22 contested marks to five?

Correct. Blicavs did a good job on Naughton and the Dogs don’t have any other threats in the air at either end.

Guthrie missed about 10 tackles with his soft and heartless approach of sticking one hand out. He also doesn't chanse hard enough. I watched him closely last night. His opponent destroyed him and set up a lot of their forward thrusts.
The missed tackles are what pisses me off the most about this team especially through the midfield.

Last year it was missed tackles all over the ground, this year the forward tackling is elite and the backline tackling is better but still needs some work, whereas through the midfield is still awful IMO.

Kudos to you, you were spot on pre-game with your prediction.

Boring game where we kick away and do enough to win.
I had a few things to do yesterday arvo so the game was on record.
And every time I went back to it I found myself fast forwarding passages.

What I'll say about the game as a whole is not to be critical on individuals. It was one of those sloppy games that got worse with the dew.

I'm really, really liking the chemistry of this team. So in my eyes it's ok when some have an off week. As long as they win or course and stick together as a unit.

The missed tackles are what pisses me off the most about this team especially through the midfield.

Last year it was missed tackles all over the ground, this year the forward tackling is elite and the backline tackling is better but still needs some work, whereas through the midfield is still awful IMO.

Don’t disagree but give the Dogs midfield some credit. I posted during the week that they have a top 4 midfield (alongside Pies, GWS and us). Bont and Macrae are A-graders and Liberatore, McLean, Wallis are a very solid supporting cast.

The Dogs lack of KPPs is the only thing preventing them from being a contender IMO.

I had a few things to do yesterday arvo so the game was on record.
And every time I went back to it I found myself fast forwarding passages.

What I'll say about the game as a whole is not to be critical on individuals. It was one of those sloppy games that got worse with the dew.

I'm really, really liking the chemistry of this team. So in my eyes it's ok when some have an off week. As long as they win or course and stick together as a unit.
It's funny because it was probably the most boring game I've watched this year and it was one of the highest scoring.

I thought the Dogs outplayed us for much of the game, so much so that I can only really think of 3 Geelong players who could have possibly received votes.

We were outclassed in almost every position, played poorly and still won by 7 goals. I walked away from that game less convinced about our premiership chances and I've been on us from the start and vocal about it too.

I also think that if Stanley plays we win by 70. Abbott isn't an AFL footballer.

Don’t disagree but give the Dogs midfield some credit. I posted during the week that they have a top 4 midfield (alongside Pies, GWS and us). Bont and Macrae are A-graders and Liberatore, McLean, Wallis are a very solid supporting cast.

The Dogs lack of KPPs is the only thing preventing them from being a contender IMO.
Great midfield, but just like North last week were made to look even better because of our inability to hold tackles through the midfield and cover teams when they spread quickly.

If we can improve these areas of our game then I can't see us losing.... IF.

We were outclassed in almost every position, played poorly and still won by 7 goals. I walked away from that game less convinced about our premiership chances and I've been on us from the start and vocal about it too.
I felt the same about the performance but drew the opposite conclusion about our flag chances. If you look at the premier every year one thing they have in common is winning even when they don’t play well and often by decent margins.

It's funny because it was probably the most boring game I've watched this year and it was one of the highest scoring.

I thought the Dogs outplayed us for much of the game, so much so that I can only really think of 3 Geelong players who could have possibly received votes.

I also think that if Stanley plays we win by 70. Abbott isn't an AFL footballer.
I think the Abbott/Fort combo was something I hope we don't have to see again, but I'm intrigued with Fort and what they do with him because IMO he's a 2nd ruck who can push forward or a 1st ruck if Stanley is unavailable.

I don't think he's a KPP, however Sav has not done enough so far this year to lock down a spot so who knows; do they maybe try Hawkins/Sav as well as Stanley/Fort in the same team?

I felt the same about the performance but drew the opposite conclusion about our flag chances. If you look at the premier every year one thing they have in common is winning even when they don’t play well and often by decent margins.
I get that but watching the game live I seen some very worrying signs.

I'm not sure whether some players are tired or sore but I'm seeing complacency seep into the games of a few.

Parfitt (twice) watched on and Suckling ran the length of the ground to make himself an option forward. Parfitt was lucky the ball was turned over. Some players were just stagnant and refused to follow their man.

Our set-ups and positioning in the middle are still worrying.

I know Fort kicked 3 but boy he's slow. The good defenders will take advantage of that and run off him. I hope Abbott and Fort aren't needed in the same side again.

I'm hoping it's just a case of our usual may lapse which is probably the case because our pressure simply wasn't there for the most part.

And the Dogs are better than I gave them credit for they just lack in a few KP areas to be a serious challenger.

And the Dogs are better than I gave them credit for they just lack in a few KP areas to be a serious challenger.
That was the key for me. They brought a good plan and executed it well with the players they had but they just lack tall quality players that can hurt. Naughton will be one but there’s too much reliance on him at this point.

As usual, we couldn't watch the game, as it was "Foxtel only" (thanks anti-siphoning laws)...so, sitting here at the Chinchilla Showgrounds, I paired up the laptop with the Mrs' 'phone, and listened to the K-ROCK broadcast again.

Agree with a few of the sentiments expressed here, in that we can get scored against easily with fast hands/fast transition footy (not enough pressure through midfield?), but are doing enough at both ends defensively to limit the damage.

From the sounds of it, Abbott and Fort probably make a decent, solid ruck/forward...between them. Good on Fort for presenting and getting on the end of a few though.

I watched some highlights on the AFL site this morning. Rohan looks quite quick, doesn't he? 😉
He took one mark he had no right to get near, and clearly is bringing some serious referred heat to the forward line.

Stewart seemed to enjoy his mark (and why wouldn't he?)

As others have mentioned, the mark of a good team is winning when not playing well. Must admit, though, that even the (biased) K-ROCK callers seemed taken aback with some of the umpiring calls in the last quarter.

On to next week, then...

I get that but watching the game live I seen some very worrying signs.

I'm not sure whether some players are tired or sore but I'm seeing complacency seep into the games of a few.

Parfitt (twice) watched on and Suckling ran the length of the ground to make himself an option forward. Parfitt was lucky the ball was turned over. Some players were just stagnant and refused to follow their man.

Our set-ups and positioning in the middle are still worrying.

I know Fort kicked 3 but boy he's slow. The good defenders will take advantage of that and run off him. I hope Abbott and Fort aren't needed in the same side again.

I'm hoping it's just a case of our usual may lapse which is probably the case because our pressure simply wasn't there for the most part.

Ive never been a rap - and im still not a rap

2 ways of looking at Geelongs season to date -(a) Outstanding effort to be 8-1 and on top of the ladder ( bearing in mind the difficult opening fixtures ) and no one had Geel in flag contention - $30 on offer with the bookies etc (b) Now the Cats are 8-1 and on top - what are the concerns - and my big worry is still that midfield - which gets beaten far too often - theve fixed the forward line that is now much improved - but that midfield and centre clearances is a massive worry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back