Autopsy Round 9, 2019: Collingwood v St.Kilda *Bruce 100th, Savage 150th, Young debut*

Remove this Banner Ad

Acres would be a star at West Coast where they could utilise his talent, he would get screwed by Freo, Lyon would try and turn him into a run with tagger.

Gresham isn't living up to his potential either, Richo is smothering their talent, at other clubs they would be superstars.

Don't hate the players, hate the coach.

Richo has to go.

Wouldn’t get a game at WC, would be playing WAFL footy like I said overrated.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For the seventh time in nine games we’ve kicked either 9 or 10 goals.

That’s the reality. That’s where we are. And it can’t stay like that.

Collingwood showed us what the best teams do and we languished when it was up for grabs. They killed us when it mattered.

Reality check when planning for the future.
We kicked 10 goals or less 13 times last year.

The worst bit was when Jayden Stephenson unloaded that giant torpedo and goaled from 65. They were just taking the piss then.

As much as yesterday hurts, I am forcing myself to look at the positives. Our injury list is crippling, the club won’t admit it, but it is. So I’m proud of the boys, so many inexperienced, for taking it right upto one of the premiership favourites for 3 qtrs, probably even the better team for most of the day.

Yes they had injuries yesterday too, but they just bat so deep compared to us. They brought in Beams and Varcoe as inclusions yesterday. Couple of premiership players and Brisbane’s best player last year, who walked into the deepest midfield in the comp already.

Big game next week. I’m not sure about everyone in here, but I’m really nervous going into next Sunday

Seb… very good one.
Agree, without Jack playing he is our most consistent mid… unfortunately Collingwood had 4 better mids on the ground yesterday, which I guess says we did very well to be in the game for an hour and a half.

Seb is a very valuable player to have on the ground, but ideally isn't the guy delivering the ball inside 50… seems to have too much loop on the ball, as you say though he is one of the few willing to take the risk.

As i said last week we need to try something different , Dmac is just a GOP and white should be taking his spot , the panic king turns it over too much IMO. If we keep sticking with these types in the hope they become great players we are in for a long wait ,

Was spewing the Mrs and I had to go out at three quarter time, so I hit record and off we went
Managed to not know the score all night but around 8ish the better half asks what the score was...i said dunno i wanna watch the last qtr when we get home

The answer was: why? we would've done nothing in the last and lost by 30 to 40

Pfft...we were in it at three qtr time you're off ya head.
So I check it for some stupid reason and well bugger me
41 points

FMD
6.6 to 1 in the last is not good enough when we are apparently the fittest team in the comp

We are young, low games under the belt blah blah
Didn't we turn it on late in games a few times earlier in the year?
So saying we are tired is absolute ******* bullshit in my eyes.

I'm not going thru players etc
I can't be assed and tbh what's the point.
I'll show interest when seb stops chipping 9 irons into the 50 that come down with snow on em
* sake

Did well to stay in touch for 3 quarters , but class midfield told the story in the end , can not defend when the ball is being pin pointed into the the Magpies forward line.

We all know we need good mids - lets hope this last quarter hasn't destroyed our confidence.

Sidebottom , Grundy , Treleor , Pendlebery told the story.

A lot of lesson's learned - Marshall will only get better from playing against the best
Dunstan did ok
Billings did ok
Membery did ok
Battle did ok

a apart from these 4 not many have broken even.

Next weeks game will have our season on the line.
Need to get some quality skills and disposal into the team. Coffield and White come to mind. Newnes is all heart but I think that he and MacKenzie need to go back to Sandy for a while.

He is also an absolute clown that should never have been given the opportunity to coach an AFL side. Thought too highly of himself. Didn't follow club orders, thought he knew it all. Treated our best players like absolute rubbish and deserved to be sacked.

What a laugh tonight has been with people wanting him back! Goodness me
He should never come back. We've been there before. He wasn't up to it. Move on.

But I reckon people are right in saying that richo has produced a poorer output than watters.

Like I said if Netters didn't do a 180 and appoint watters and we put in richo instead, I reckon he'd be sacked by now.

Battle forward in the last was telling. I think he goes there on a more permanent basis while Bruce is unable to impact regularly enough (was good last week). Marsh takes Battles spot down back.
I think this is the key to our problems currently with the structure of the forward line. Battle is in good form - anywhere.

Marsh looked very good yesterday, extremely composed. Could well have just pulled a winning recruitment out of thin air. He looks to me like Browny's eventual replacement.

I'm currently far less worried about our coaching as I am about our skill level. The backline has improved dramatically with new key personnel but our midfield and forwards just don't seem to be able to execute with any consistency.

Thought it was interesting that how 666 worked in the 3rd quarter for both sides. Marshall was good here and Dunstan was able to hit up a forward with little congestion. I think if Hanners is able to have impact we'll at least have 2 mids that can give us a reasonable amount of first use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We just played GWS, West Coast and the Pies. Good chance those three will be top four by the end of the year.

I'm going a bit ECO but it gives it some perspective. The boys trained really well during the week, it was great to see Hanners join training and Jake/Bytel running laps.

We have given ourselves more than enough chances to win in the past few weeks, need to clean up our disposal inside our forward half still.

It's harder to take because we've had our chances, it would be easier to deal with to be blown out of the water by classy teams.

Hopefully we can get back on track this week.

I think this is the key to our problems currently with the structure of the forward line. Battle is in good form - anywhere.

Marsh looked very good yesterday, extremely composed. Could well have just pulled a winning recruitment out of thin air. He looks to me like Browny's eventual replacement.
I lost intetest but I may have missed all the good forward play by Battle in the last quarter. Can anyone give his qtr by qtr stats. Seemed to me he did a bit (no more no less than Bruce) and scored a goal about two minutes before the end of the gamevwhen it was well and truly over.

Didn't look to have a significant impact.

I lost intetest but I may have missed all the good forward play by Battle in the last quarter. Can anyone give his qtr by qtr stats. Seemed to me he did a bit (no more no less than Bruce) and scored a goal about two minutes before the end of the gamevwhen it was well and truly over.

Didn't look to have a significant impact.
It hardly went in the forward 50 so I’m not sure that’s the best way to assess Battle’s forward work.
He needs to start there and I think it’s now clear we need to reassess how the forwards are working.

I love the attitude of DMac and you can never question his courage or effort but right now his skill level is a liability down back.

I think its time to give White a shot in the back line. His form seems to warrant it.
Hi skills have always been a liability its just some fall in love with his attack on the ball , its ok that the bloke is a terrific runner in time trials but he is yet to have one bounce with the ball in hand this year , that's not what id consider giving us any rebound , some have said white is not fit enough , well based on the fact DMac doesn't move too far Brandon will be just fine

Next week is all of a sudden a huge game for us

It's a pretty depressing thought but in reality.....after the Melb game……. it appeared a real likelyhood.

Just about everyone on here said that the block of 4 games which we have just had will show everyone just where we sit.

I thought if we can somehow win 2 of those 4 games then I will take us seriously.

We now know the result.

Trying to look for positives but it's bloody hard.

Losing like that yesterday at their home game in front of that sized crowd absolutely gutted me.

Was very very hard to take.

It was a story we've all seen play out before. We beat the opposition early with intensity and pressure but waste numerous opportunities in front of goal before dropping away late and getting rolled. At the end of the day, we were beaten by a far more talented and experienced team. Their top 5 players are far better than anyone playing for us. Add Steven, Carlisle, Roberton and Hannebery to the team and it's a much closer contest.

I've been a huge critic of Dunstan but I thought he played his best game for us against Collingwood. Won a huge amount of contested footy and he was much more attacking than usual with his ball use. I'd love for him to continue in that kind of form. I was very critical of the recruitment of Robbie Young but he took his opportunities and had a few great moments in the game. I still think his lack of production will probably stop him from having a long AFL career but I'd love to be wrong about that.

I loved Marshall's game. Of course he's not going to beat Grundy but he absolutely gave his all and matched him around the ground. Grundy's stats were inflated by the fact that we chose to ruck Acres/Bruce in the forward line while Marshall was a kick behind the ball.

I think it's time for Paton and Parker to have a rest. I really liked Marsh in defence and geez I'd love to see what Battle can do as a permanent forward.

I love the attitude of DMac and you can never question his courage or effort but right now his skill level is a liability down back.

I think its time to give White a shot in the back line. His form seems to warrant it.
DMac has got to go. Gave away 2 goals directly in front from free kicks. Especially when we are struggling to score and scoreboard pressure being a key unquantifiable factor - it just kills the team.
Time to give someone else a run.

I’ll go with the minority of posts.
This is the first time I’ve been able to see a game live this year, and was impressed by a number of things.
First: Broke even in Q1, won Q2, owned Q3.
Second: I was amazed at the inexperience in our back half. That inexperience would eventually bite us in Q4. There is no one in that back 6 that would get a game with another club, either through inexperience (4/6), game style (1/6) or career lack of impact (1/6). A lot of finger pointing going on in that back half in Q1, not blame pointing more positioning. Given it was Marsh’s first game there, and the general immaturity, absolutely understandable. Remarkably, that group of inexperienced nobodies held last years runners up for three quarters. The defensive positioning was really interesting. I reckon we have a “sum of parts” game plan. No player seemed to have either designated space or opponent. For example: Brown stood Stephenson, Reid, Mihocek to name three. Watching Battle and Marsh jointly decide who to defend and what spot to defend was really interesting. So the defensive plan relies on the input of all six defensive players. With support from the midfield negating the opposing mids. The sum of the parts being greater than the whole (synergy). What was more remarkable was the absence of experience and hence leadership when under pressure. This lack, due to other factors, was exposed in Q4.
Third: As a result, I’m really bullish about our defensive game. These nobodies are playing almost a perfect game plan which can either only help them in the long term, or forms the basis of a really strong back half once injuries have been reduced. Geary, with his leadership, in that back half yesterday would have been priceless. Particularly in Q4.
Fourth: That game was played on our terms and at our pace for the first three quarters. We won centre clearances (!) and broke even in general clearance.
Fifth: Q4 was a direct result of Roma tiring. Grundy just dominated. At one point, he marked in his backline, kicked it along the member’s wing. Then ran forward to collect the next kick. By this time in Q4, RoMa had blown up. Roma is in the sunrise of his career. He was competitive with probably the best ruck in the competition for three quarters. Brilliant effort. He will only get better. At some stage this season, the club may need to rest him.
Sixth: The result from Roma tiring was that we lost our competitiveness at centre clearance. At 3/4 time, we were better than Collingwood. To my amazement, an unbelievable stat. After that, Collingwood clearly got on top, and that led to the pressure on the defensive nobodies. Where the inexperience was compounded by the lack of leadership. And one thing led to another.
Seventh: The flow on from RoMa tiring meant the coaching panel had to change tactics to stay in/win the game. So Bruce went into the ruck with Battle forward. I have absolutely no issue with that; doing nothing meant absolutely losing the game. Changing it up gave us a chance, and did lead us to crawling back one goal.
Eighth: A big shout needs to go out to: Dunstan and Billings who both played great games. Dunstan really did have an inside bull match. His poor disposals yesterday was due to extraction under pressure. But what a pass lace out to Membery. Billings is so important for this team. He creates play. Kent played his role as the link up from defence. Seb played a great captain’s game. I was really pleased with his talking and direction to the players around him. Particularly the back half. His helicopters were caused by direct pressure. Robbie Young did what he was asked, great couple of goals and brilliant defensive pressure. Top first game.
Ninth: We clearly lack connection between centre and forward. Effort is not being rewarded as anyone watching the game would have seen that a fair return for our effort should have been a five goal lead at 3/4. That’s something Ratten and the other members of the coaching panel must address. No doubt they are very aware of that.
Tenth: We need that second marking tall forward to take pressure of Bruce being the main man. His repeat efforts are fantastic but his value is being undermined by being the only real tall option. Hopefully King will provide relief. Entry into the forward 50 this week was somewhere between the long bomb vs GWS and the positioning play vs West Coast. So we may actually be beginning to get that right.

We have got through a hard patch, we’ve been competitive throughout though not as much as we’d all like, we’ve been playing an immature team and by and large they can hold their heads up, we’ve got great game time into some of our immature players, we seem to have a good plan and structure, the players seem to have bought into same, the coaching seems much improved and as supporters, we can all see green shoots.

Understand that we have a lot more we need to address but I fail to see what’s not to like.

This is such an improvement on last year, and in reality, also the two prior “false dawn” years.

But we need to make changes this week: four consecutive losses require it.

Who comes in will be determined by the performance at TBO this afternoon.
Long, White, Clark, Coffield and Hind are all possibilities.

PS: I’d recommend the Pinot Noir with the lamb in the MCC Dining Room.

Did anyone see Marshall take a contested mark on the 50 metre line then bang it through - could it be that might also have improved as a forward option?

That mark and goal was an absolute highlight for me.....one of the very few for the day.

Was extremely confident that he'd slot it......and he saluted...….from memory...it went thru mid post high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back