Autopsy Round 9, 2019: Collingwood v St.Kilda *Bruce 100th, Savage 150th, Young debut*

Remove this Banner Ad

That mark and goal was an absolute highlight for me.....one of the very few for the day.

Was extremely confident that he'd slot it......and he saluted...….from memory...it went thru mid post high.
Called him to slot it too Watto...sadly also called the seb, newnes and Bruce misses

:mad:

Obviously big problems with our midfield for starters- they get the ball, but not enough, and not enough to influence play.. and they go missing at vital times during games. Boy do we really need to recruit and develop in that area. Secondly, the forward line is a shambles- just not functioning, and not enough contributions over the course of a game.

Hate stating the obvious but team can't really progress until a Walsh / Rozee type is attained. Probably two actually. I havent mentioned Free Agents because it will not happen.

I lost intetest but I may have missed all the good forward play by Battle in the last quarter. Can anyone give his qtr by qtr stats. Seemed to me he did a bit (no more no less than Bruce) and scored a goal about two minutes before the end of the gamevwhen it was well and truly over.

Didn't look to have a significant impact.
Bruce gets an incredible run of good will from saints fans…

If anyone else had 10 disposals or less in 6/9 matches and only 6 goals from his last 7 games, people would be calling for their head…

16 gamer Battle has been a revelation and putting senior players like Bruce to shame.

Battle would be hard pressed to perform as poorly up forward as Bruce has for most of this year.

I guess Bruce will have his odd good game next week against an undermanned Carlton defence.

Winx can't come on quickly enough.

Acres is like Tom Ledger but on steroids.

People have this view that Acres should be an inside mid because he has the physique of someone who should be successful in there. But that's where it ends. Blake has yet to demonstrate he can play in there. They also have a very high opinion of Blake, but his results do not support it. Tbh we could trade him right now and i doubt it would affect the side in the slightest.

What we need is to turn almost player like Blake into someone who actually is a good midfielder.
Very perceptive.
I watched him a lot yesterday, understood what he was trying to do (and did so well against Hawthorn and Melbourne) but it just wasn’t happening for him.
Some of those dinky handpasses......

I understand we have an injury list probably too deep to contend but what saddens me is the potential of 3 of those players never returning. Paddy, Robbo and Steven.

That in itself is a whole lot of potential and experience and to have them pulled away from us at seasons end would push us back further.

No doubting Carlisle, Hannebery, Geary and Lonie will put a spring in our step but to lose the other 3 on a permanent basis would be damaging.

I’m not sure where we go from here, let’s just hope King, Coffield, Hunter and the like can develop quickly. Unfortunately can’t see any free agents convinced to come to us yet, in terms of young talent I still have us down the lower part of the ladder, am I right in saying that?

Need to get some quality skills and disposal into the team. Coffield and White come to mind. Newnes is all heart but I think that he and MacKenzie need to go back to Sandy for a while.
Yes it will be interesting what they come up with next week , will be good to see what happens at Sandringham today.

Really , we need another forward target - wish King was ready , but as we know he will take time.
Even McCartin would be handy.

White plays next week and Coffield , Hunter , Hind and Langlands could be a chance if they have a good one today.

Yes it will be interesting what they come up with next week , will be good to see what happens at Sandringham today.

Really , we need another forward target - wish King was ready , but as we know he will take time.
Even McCartin would be handy.

White plays next week and Coffield , Hunter , Hind and Langlands could be a chance if they have a good one today.

That many changes won’t happen it is more than a winnable game will put our best side in & the side that played yesterday isn’t far off it.

People talking about dropping Parker,Paton,D Mac tell them their dreaming.

Our issue is forward of centre conversion goes a long way.

Amazing all the Dunstan haters gone underground.

Worst forward Bruce do we drop him no but no ones singling him out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was at the game yesterday and was so very frustrated throughout most of the game. Especially the 2nd quarter where we had all the play in our half but could not put scoreboard pressure on. We look 10x better when we kick our goals running the ball off the half back line with space to kick to. We don’t look threatening at all when we go slow down the line then a big High ball inside 50. Just my own thoughts on individuals.

Poor
Paton- looked a bit slow and tired at stages, has been good but might be due for a rest.

Wilkie- same as Paton, has been outstanding all year but made some crucial mistakes at crucial times yesterday and just looked a bit flat.

McKenzie- took a couple of great marks but rather than that still lacks match awareness and footy nous.

Battle- this one may be a bit harsh but thought all our key backs were pretty well beaten by reid and miochek. Didn’t have a huge influence on the game.

Bruce- kicked the first but never looked likely after that. Works hard and gets to contests but doesn’t have many tricks to beat his opponent.

Parker- still liked his pressure and intent but tried to be a bit selfish and didn’t do the little things well. On thin ice.

Newnes- didn’t even realise he was playing until I watched him let Sidebottom run straight off him at a centre bounce from the wing, get the handball and deliver beautifully inside 50 while jack just stood there waiting for the easy one over the top. I think he thinks he’s a bit better than he is IMO.

Phillips- had good stats at quarter time but hardly sighted after that. Still think Clark is a superior footballer than Phillips, even at this stage. Runs hard but isn’t quick and doesn’t have great skills.

Acres- such a tease. I honestly think it’s nearly time to cut our losses with Blake. His best is exceptional but his worst is non existent. Doesn’t win enough of the ball and when he does generally just chucks it on the boot.

Ross- i reckon Ross is a bit of a one way runner only when he wants to. Is poor defensively one on one and his loopy kicking and decision making are putrid. Wins the ball but doesn’t have much of an impact.

Sinclair- a bit like Blake his best looks amazing but doesn’t do it for long enough or hard enough. Others should go past him.

Ok/broke even

Young- lightning quick and really pressured the kicker a few times. Knows where the goals are and has a bit of go about him. Looks like a find.

Marsh- the best of the key defenders, took some nice marks and did some nice things. Should hold his spot for the rest of the year I’d say.

Brown- this one might surprise a few but I actually thought he did ok. Was often against the deepest forward whether that was Stephenson or Hoskin Eliot and didn’t lower his colours. Know what your gonna get from browny.

Kent- wasn’t his worst game. Finally has started clunking some marks and his work rate looked a bit better. Didn’t look very dangerous around goals though.

Marshall- can hold his head High. Competed well for most of the day and made Grundy defend. Is one of our top 5 players now imo.

Gresham- weaved through traffic a few times to set up a shot on goal. Is so good in tight. Need him to start hitting the scoreboard more in the middle though.

Steele- battled hard all day but didn’t have a big impact. Doesn’t have a lot of tricks so has to work his backside off all the time.

Savage- is having his best year at the club. Defending a lot better than he used to and gets into attacking positions.

Great games

Membrey- kicked 4 and threatend in the air.

Billings- worked hard and used the ball extremely well. Is our best player.

Dunstan- thought it was his best game for the club. Was great in the clearances and even used the ball well. Might of finally clicked for him.

Watters set us back. We didn't improve at all. The jury is out on Richo, but I'm starting to think a succession plan would be most ideal. If Ratten is up to it, have him step up. I'd hate to think we'd bring in a new coach from elsewhere who wants to up-end everything.

I don't think anything will change with a new coach. We blew our drafting for 10 years. The best we have got in are Seb, Newnes, Webster and Billings. Gresh has stepped back but should be good still, just perhaps not as a mid. That's the haul since Stuv and none are elite. Seb, Web and Newnes were drafted in 2012. Since then that's 2 more above average players in 7 years.... that's awful by any standard. Battle looks next best but too early to start counting as a gun.

We are rebuilding the rebuild without saying it. We have been forced by injury to play fringe and new players. There were about 8 regular best 22 from last year playing and Bruce who would be if he hadn't spent the year injured, playing yesterday. The crop from last year and some of the fringe players like Parker, Battle, Wilkie, Paton etc look as good o better than some of our best 22. We are not going to get better until we get elite mids, neglecting it for 5 or 6 years because we were going to pick up FAs was foolish in hindsight.

Trout was probably the most lucky draft"expert" in history, he really made a meal of it. Nathan Burke said after last years loss to Collingwood, that Richo wasn't getting players in the draft that suited the way he wanted to play. I'd love to know who was in charge of calling the shots for that. If true, who ever it was should be booted.

I feel like this is pretty obvious but the match was lost in the 2nd quarter. We dominated the entire term and just didn't convert. I find it interesting that people are taking pots at Richo over this game, in actual fact he coached very well and actually set us up to win the game, but the players sadly just could not convert.

The Pies had some injuries but let's also look at the reality of the two lists. A few names out there yesterday... Grundy, Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom, Beams. That is 5 players that would be the best player for us on the day. They have a superb list at the moment and yet we still put ourselves in a position to beat them but couldn't convert.

I also see people potting Billings. The bloke was our best player over three quarters.

I think our forward line aren't playing with confidence. We stuff up easy opportunities when it should be a gimme goal. This affects the morale of the players so when the opposition get a run on multiple times, we lose confidence.

We desperately need players back, especially Geary as he is our leader. The final term was disappointing but until we learn to convert our dominant periods into goals, we won't beat the top sides.

Biggest positive was Dunstan. If he can play like that every week then he'll be a serious player for us. Ross was ok but we will be better when he is the third or fourth best mid, not our number one. We also gave away a lot of silly free-kicks.

Great debut by Robbie Young, his tackling pressure is something we've been missing since we lost Lonie. Hope Longy was taking note, needs to lay more tackles if/when he comes back in.

If we play like that next week I think we'll take the Blues. But we need to convert our chances. It's quite simple really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep - simple fact is that if we had Pendles and Sidebottom and they had Ross and Newnes we would have won in a canter.

Actually I was pretty happy with effort because I understand that Richo is coaching a side that lacks quality and unfortunately it shows in the lack of skills and class.

End result is that the i50 entries that are very very rarely to the advantage of our forwards.

Personally I thought it was great effort - add a fit and firing Steven and Hannebery and we'd be finals chance.

Yep, Collingwood had 9 players I class as above average to elite, we have 4 if you count Seb, Billings, Membrey and Gresh and Gresh is probably below average this year. Seb has been s**t lately too. We are a tradies ute racing a Ferrari.

Of cause rarely anyone gets 100% -93% is very good

You think coaches see 93% and say , nah we cant drop him lol
So if a bloke gets 3 kicks , he kicks them 15 mtrs and our bloke marks it, he is going at 100% , He must be a superstar

That many changes won’t happen it is more than a winnable game will put our best side in & the side that played yesterday isn’t far off it.

People talking about dropping Parker,Paton,D Mac tell them their dreaming.

Our issue is forward of centre conversion goes a long way.

Amazing all the Dunstan haters gone underground.

Worst forward Bruce do we drop him no but no ones singling him out.

Bit hard to drop Bruce , when we don't have any other tall forwards and the week before he had 7 contested marks.

I don't know what the selectors will do , all I know Carlisle , Hannebery and Steven would of been handy yesterday.

Was at the game yesterday and was so very frustrated throughout most of the game. Especially the 2nd quarter where we had all the play in our half but could not put scoreboard pressure on. We look 10x better when we kick our goals running the ball off the half back line with space to kick to. We don’t look threatening at all when we go slow down the line then a big High ball inside 50. Just my own thoughts on individuals.

Poor
Paton- looked a bit slow and tired at stages, has been good but might be due for a rest.

Wilkie- same as Paton, has been outstanding all year but made some crucial mistakes at crucial times yesterday and just looked a bit flat.

McKenzie- took a couple of great marks but rather than that still lacks match awareness and footy nous.

Battle- this one may be a bit harsh but thought all our key backs were pretty well beaten by reid and miochek. Didn’t have a huge influence on the game.

Bruce- kicked the first but never looked likely after that. Works hard and gets to contests but doesn’t have many tricks to beat his opponent.

Parker- still liked his pressure and intent but tried to be a bit selfish and didn’t do the little things well. On thin ice.

Newnes- didn’t even realise he was playing until I watched him let Sidebottom run straight off him at a centre bounce from the wing, get the handball and deliver beautifully inside 50 while jack just stood there waiting for the easy one over the top. I think he thinks he’s a bit better than he is IMO.

Phillips- had good stats at quarter time but hardly sighted after that. Still think Clark is a superior footballer than Phillips, even at this stage. Runs hard but isn’t quick and doesn’t have great skills.

Acres- such a tease. I honestly think it’s nearly time to cut our losses with Blake. His best is exceptional but his worst is non existent. Doesn’t win enough of the ball and when he does generally just chucks it on the boot.

Ross- i reckon Ross is a bit of a one way runner only when he wants to. Is poor defensively one on one and his loopy kicking and decision making are putrid. Wins the ball but doesn’t have much of an impact.

Sinclair- a bit like Blake his best looks amazing but doesn’t do it for long enough or hard enough. Others should go past him.

Ok/broke even

Young- lightning quick and really pressured the kicker a few times. Knows where the goals are and has a bit of go about him. Looks like a find.

Marsh- the best of the key defenders, took some nice marks and did some nice things. Should hold his spot for the rest of the year I’d say.

Brown- this one might surprise a few but I actually thought he did ok. Was often against the deepest forward whether that was Stephenson or Hoskin Eliot and didn’t lower his colours. Know what your gonna get from browny.

Kent- wasn’t his worst game. Finally has started clunking some marks and his work rate looked a bit better. Didn’t look very dangerous around goals though.

Marshall- can hold his head High. Competed well for most of the day and made Grundy defend. Is one of our top 5 players now imo.

Gresham- weaved through traffic a few times to set up a shot on goal. Is so good in tight. Need him to start hitting the scoreboard more in the middle though.

Steele- battled hard all day but didn’t have a big impact. Doesn’t have a lot of tricks so has to work his backside off all the time.

Savage- is having his best year at the club. Defending a lot better than he used to and gets into attacking positions.

Great games

Membrey- kicked 4 and threatend in the air.

Billings- worked hard and used the ball extremely well. Is our best player.

Dunstan- thought it was his best game for the club. Was great in the clearances and even used the ball well. Might of finally clicked for him.

I was watching Kayo on my phone while out so didn't see the whole match but the defence looked a bit lacking composure at times. Geary is crucial in setting our zone.

I was watching Kayo on my phone while out so didn't see the whole match but the defence looked a bit lacking composure at times. Geary is crucial in setting our zone.

We were undersized body wise got rag dolled against Reid, Miocheck & outs printed by Stephenson he led into space.

For me Seb Ross is kind of like Cam Guthrie or Mitch Wallis, he's never going to lead the midfield or be a star but if his role is to just be a cog in a midfield then he can do some inside or outside work and provide some semi-decent use of the ball. Every now and then he might play a game where you go "maybe he'll take the next step" but honestly it's not gonna happen. He's a reliable-good midfielder but not winning you any games or providing any elite use of the ball. People just need to temper their expectations of Ross I think, he's not an elite mid.

Seb Ross is more like Zaharakis, looks like he should be better in tight but really a third or fourth outside midfield runner. He's more an indictment on the rest of the midfield than a bad player. He's above average for what he does but we need less of his type and more grunt contested ball winners. We seem to love multi positional mids who spread more than grunt though. Even Hanners at his best was a spread runner not an insider.

Seb Ross is more like Zaharakis, looks like he should be better in tight but really a third or fourth outside midfield runner. He's more an indictment on the rest of the midfield than a bad player. He's above average for what he does but we need less of his type and more grunt contested ball winners. We seem to love multi positional mids who spread more than grunt though. Even Hanners at his best was a spread runner not an insider.

Agree. Until we fix this we will maintain the status quo.

The events leading up to Young's first goal at the 14 minute mark in the 3rd- This sums up Ross and the problem with the saints at the moment.
Brown takes an intercept mark, great long kick to Membrey who spins around and quickly gets it to Kent. Ross streams past and calls for the handball.
While this is happening Bruce has powered through the middle of the ground and has 20 metres on his opponent inside 50.
Ross then comes to a complete stop, ignores the leads and bombs the s**t out of it to no ones advantage. LUCKILY a free is called against Varcoe for a block.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back