Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
The greens are a bunch of idealistic simpletons. Their platform was centred around climate change, an issue that Australia barely contributes to and is powerless to prevent. Can't imagine how bad last night must burn for all the lefties on this forum. 25% voting for the greens vs 5% for LNP. Lmao I thought you were better than that BF?

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ideally the likes of Plibersek, Andrew Leigh and maybe Jason Clare will be leading out their next campaign in some configuration.
You named the three people I’d have the top of my list. Though Plibersek is probably tied to this choke just as much as Bowen, Leigh is probably too much of a policy wonk to appeal to the average Australian. Clare has camera appeal but does he have the charisma (and it’s a testament to how disengaged and stupid this country has become that charisma counts more than policy).
All three would be electoral poison in Queensland, which after last night’s result is enough to scratch them off the ticket immediately.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I like Bowen, but is he too closely associated with this election choke job?

Maybe, but he's not a public face to the same degree as Bill and Tanya. Pretty common for the deputy leader or shadow treasurer to step up.

Really they need a Turnbull who people actually like. In the past they had charismatic leaders. Since Keating lost office it's been pretty uninspiring.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I do love the toys out of the cot reactions from people when others don't vote the way they do. Trump, Brexit, now this. Representative democracy, look it up FFS. See how that *en idiot Abbott is gone? Popular candidate against him, strong campaign...

The sooner the boomers die off the better but it's not like 100% of people born after 1970 voted ALP and friends. We gonna have a "not my PM" thing now? Not the first choice of about 60% of the population...

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
On the poll, I remember clicking into the thread and seeing that it was non-anonymous. That was an instant turn-off, why I didn't vote in it. Those who are more outspoken on who they'll vote for (a minority of voters, left or right) were probably more likely to vote. Clearly, Labor/Greens include a lot of posters who don't care about anonymity, will wear it more on their sleeve. SRP is also a little more right-friendly than GD. Let alone the relative digital poverty of grey voters.

I suspect that mostly left-leaning people are more likely to participate in online polls and compasses.

Last edited:
The poll also also didn't allow us to select more than one option. It sort of comes under "other" I guess. I voted differently in the Senate v. in my electorate, and have taken this approach for years. I also tend to vote differently in state v. federal elections. I'm a true , conflicted, disillusioned centralist :p, but below the line ftw!

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I do love the toys out of the cot reactions from people when others don't vote the way they do. Trump, Brexit, now this. Representative democracy, look it up FFS. See how that ****en idiot Abbott is gone? Popular candidate against him, strong campaign...

The sooner the boomers die off the better but it's not like 100% of people born after 1970 voted ALP and friends. We gonna have a "not my PM" thing now? Not the first choice of about 60% of the population...

They are saying Generation Z could be one of the most Conservative generations in a long time.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
All three would be electoral poison in Queensland, which after last night’s result is enough to scratch them off the ticket immediately.
I don’t think most average Queenslanders would know who Clare or Leigh are, and Leigh in particular is an economics guy, not some offbeat leftie.

Anyway, Queensland seem important this election but they still only have a small number of seats overall. Labor suffered as much by not picking up seats in Victoria or NSW.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t think most average Queenslanders would know who Clare or Leigh are, and Leigh in particular is an economics guy, not some offbeat leftie.
Andrew Leigh is an amazing guy and very smart, but he is a walking, talking stereotype of everything that your socially conservative working class Queenslander hates about southerners.

Anyway, Queensland seem important this election but they still only have a small number of seats overall. Labor suffered as much by not picking up seats in Victoria or NSW.
That’s the attitude that got the ALP into this mess.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
The poll also also didn't allow us to select more than one option. It sort of comes under "other" I guess. I voted differently in the Senate v. in my electorate, and have taken this approach for years. I also tend to vote differently in state v. federal elections. I'm a true , conflicted, disillusioned centralist :p, but below the line ftw!
Oh, totally, me as well, very below the line, different at state level and eclectic/consoling with Senate choices. Democracy needs a good mix of voices in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Andrew Leigh is an amazing guy and very smart, but he is a walking, talking stereotype of everything that your socially conservative working class Queenslander hates about southerners.

You are right on Leigh, I rate him but also get that strong impression he could easily waltz into the Greens without anyone blinking, definitely fulfills that stereotype. I just think that Labor should stick to their guns in many ways. You have to learn from an election result, but the last thing we want is some curdled Rudd/Albo charismatic. Removing Shorten will hopefully buy back some bellwethers who simply refused to vote for him. Hopefully Leigh can bring in some Green voters.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

I’m not suggesting they simply ignore them, but swings that were predicted in Vic and NSW didn’t eventuate, so the problem isn’t wholly a ‘Queensland’ problem, it’s a national problem and basing your policy and leadership on what Queensland wants won’t solve the problem either.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
You are right on Leigh, I rate him but also get that strong impression he could easily waltz into the Greens without anyone blinking, definitely fulfills that stereotype. I just think that Labor should stick to their guns in many ways. You have to learn from an election result, but the last thing we want is some curdled Rudd/Albo charismatic. Removing Shorten will hopefully buy back some bellwethers who simply refused to vote for him. Hopefully Leigh can bring in some Green voters.
Leigh might make a good Treasurer/third banana. Although there will be arguments it cost them the election, the franking credits policy was his and it was downright good, sound economic policy.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Leigh might make a good Treasurer/third banana. Although there will be arguments it cost them the election, the franking credits policy was his and it was downright good, sound economic policy.
Very true. I was completely onboard with the projected electric car policy as well, but as a soundbite it just sounded pubtest-poor, screaming for a caricature of Shorten getting run over by an electric car.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
I think in simple terms cost of living was number one issue. And people thought that anything that helps with that is what they will vote for ie back the horse called self interest.
And therefore policies that will see people’s number one asset their home decline in value, hits to their super, more modest or even no tax cuts etc fed into that.

If people were feeling financially safe they would be more welcome to lending a hand to help others. But most people are just under financial pressure and looking after themselves first up.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I might agree with you if we weren’t talking about the party of the working class getting obliterated in the #1 working class state.

The tail doesn’t wag the dog. The ALP can’t make the electorate less socially conservative by wishing it so. Bringing in Greens voters who are already preferencing Labor before the Coalition won’t make up for the voters they alienate.

I’m not suggesting they simply ignore them, but swings that were predicted in Vic and NSW didn’t eventuate, so the problem isn’t wholly a ‘Queensland’ problem, it’s a national problem and basing your policy and leadership on what Queensland wants won’t solve the problem either.
Look, I understand that you are just looking at seats and trying to add up to 76. But in reality, the ALP can win with the results they got last night in NSW and Victoria. They will never win with the result they got in Queensland.

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Tony Abbott made a great speech.

One thing he highlighted was the divide between the rich inner urban green-leaning seats and the rest of us.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I might agree with you if we weren’t talking about the party of the working class getting obliterated in the #1 working class state.

The tail doesn’t wag the dog. The ALP can’t make the electorate less socially conservative by wishing it so. Bringing in Greens voters who are already preferencing Labor before the Coalition won’t make up for the voters they alienate.

Look, I understand that you are just looking at seats and trying to add up to 76. But in reality, the ALP can win with the results they got last night in NSW and Victoria. They will never win with the result they got in Queensland.
Not sure Queensland is the number one working class state. Western Sydney probably has more working class votes. Reckon it’s as much the Queensland regional areas that set it so far apart (WA is quite similar).

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure Queensland is the number one working class state. Western Sydney probably has more working class votes. Reckon it’s as much the Queensland regional areas that set it so far apart (WA is quite similar).

Remember the 2012 Queensland Election, where Labor were expected to and were badly defeated, thinking the innermost Brisbane seats would at least have a big swing to Greens as well. Nope. Just went straight Liberal.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
People who vote labour feel it’s ok to abuse other voters who have different views.

Same as how trump won, people are bullied into being ashamed about who they support. Instead of having intellectual conversations about it they simply throw their toys out of the cot and act like people are brain dead to vote for the other major party

Back