Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
^Anyone else noted the amount of times Grundy hits toward the boundary at throw ins and we seem to have no-one there boundary-side to rove the tap out.

IMO, it’s because the aim would be to cause a repeat stoppage or force a turnover up the field (depending on field position). When the ball comes to the front of the stoppage like that we should have the dangerous exit point covered, their defensive side, so that means either a quick kick forward or submit to Grundy coming in over the top.

In order to know whether it’s effective or not you’d need that contested possession from a stoppage stat or DE from those clearances. My best guess is they wouldn’t be effective stoppage wins for our opposition because a) it would be hard to generate a chain of possessions from that area of the ground and b) it’s extremely difficult to score from there without beating at least two tacklers.

IMO, it’s because the aim would be to cause a repeat stoppage or force a turnover up the field (depending on field position). When the ball comes to the front of the stoppage like that we should have the dangerous exit point covered, their defensive side, so that means either a quick kick forward or submit to Grundy coming in over the top.

In order to know whether it’s effective or not you’d need that contested possession from a stoppage stat or DE from those clearances. My best guess is they wouldn’t be effective stoppage wins for our opposition because a) it would be hard to generate a chain of possessions from that area of the ground and b) it’s extremely difficult to score from there without beating at least two tacklers.

Just to add, as well as it being a safe spot, watch how many times Sidey in particular collects Grundy taps on the move on the boundary line. The thing with hitting it to blokes on the move is that it if they get blocked it's a hitout to no one and looks like a WTF from the ruckman regardless of whether they hit it exactly where the plan intended. It is higher risk/higher reward, because they are less likely to be hit, but are more likely to get off a clean disposal. The boundary line is a pretty good place to be going for it, because it offers a measure of safety.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Just to add, as well as it being a safe spot, watch how many times Sidey in particular collects Grundy taps on the move on the boundary line. The thing with hitting it to blokes on the move is that it if they get blocked it's a hitout to no one and looks like a WTF from the ruckman regardless of whether they hit it exactly where the plan intended. It is higher risk/higher reward, because they are less likely to be hit, but are more likely to get off a clean disposal. The boundary line is a pretty good place to be going for it, because it offers a measure of safety.

The next questions I’d love to answer are whether there’s certain mids attending the stoppage when he does go? And what the coverage looks like down the field? There’s so many layers to it...

The next questions I’d love to answer are whether there’s certain mids attending the stoppage when he does go? And what the coverage looks like down the field? There’s so many layers to it...
That's a lot of time looking at freeze frames from a lot of games to work that out. Opposition scouts would definitely look for clear set plays that the team favours and some probably do go that far to give their club a better chance of predicting when a club is likely to go with which set play. I reckon those West Coast scouts are the best in the business. They just seem to cut down the opposition's play makers, possibly through focussing on their favourite plays and when they make them.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
That's a lot of time looking at freeze frames from a lot of games to work that out. Opposition scouts would definitely look for clear set plays that the team favours and some probably do go that far to give their club a better chance of predicting when a club is likely to go with which set play. I reckon those West Coast scouts are the best in the business. They just seem to cut down the opposition's play makers, possibly through focussing on their favourite plays and when they make them.

Yeah and some of the stuff we’re doing in that space sounds promising, but clubs would receive plenty of help from their friends at CD...

Yeah and some of the stuff we’re doing in that space sounds promising, but clubs would receive plenty of help from their friends at CD...

It's an interesting one when you look at the 20/20 cricket perspective and them graphing and working out what ball the bowler is most likely to bowl when. I was personally skeptical of the benefit of them trying to predict what the bowler would bowl, having grown up on a play each ball on it's merits mentality, and believing that it would result in a dangerously high level of premeditation from the batsman, but the cricketers swear by the benefit of it.

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
LET THE BEAR FEAST!!!!!
images.jpeg

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another game or so at the lesser level and he’ll be back.

And he’ll do so well once he’s back.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe if he starts actually dominating the VFL
Maybe if he just plays well.

He certainly started to do that last Sunday.

His movement in traffic was really good, his tackling strong.

Two Eyes

Club Legend
Jun 22, 2007
east of eden
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Pies have to pick the best team available to win senior game’s. I have no problem with asking Sier to build form and fitness with another game in the VFL, that way you build him up for success at AFL level.

He’s still a developing player so can’t compare with the more experienced WHE who came straight in (and struggled, btw).

The Pies have to pick the best team available to win senior game’s. I have no problem with asking Sier to build form and fitness with another game in the VFL, that way you build him up for success at AFL level.

He’s still a developing player so can’t compare with the more experienced WHE who came straight in (and struggled, btw).

Is WHE struggling becasue he came straight back in or is it because he's playing such a diverse and challenging role, which isn't his best?

Elliott has taken his role from last year and he seems to me to be a rotation player who covers the tall forwards and also the wingmen. It will be interesting to see how he goes with Elliott out. I'm expecting good things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is WHE struggling becasue he came straight back in or is it because he's playing such a diverse and challenging role, which isn't his best?

Elliott has taken his role from last year and he seems to me to be a rotation player who covers the tall forwards and also the wingmen. It will be interesting to see how he goes with Elliott out. I'm expecting good things.

History suggests WHE generally struggles for a while when returning from injury. Seems to thrive on continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back