Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

If Boomer hasn't beden coaching him on this, I'll go he for tiggy.

Most blokes who try it go too early, Boomer would run right up to the point where it looked like he was going to kick into the man on the mark, then do it, Jy did that as well.

OODA loops!!!

I see a very good inside midfielder in him

It's probably not all down to the being dropped to the VFL but that ability to hunt the footy has obviously helped him and his confidence

That clearance off Goldstein's hands in the first before drilling it to Brown on his wrong foot was class personified. It is unfathomable that people have a crack at him for his game last night

Shows something different in the middle compared to our treacle brigade as well which is a really nice addition to the rotation

It's probably not all down to the being dropped to the VFL but that ability to hunt the footy has obviously helped him and his confidence

That clearance off Goldstein's hands in the first before drilling it to Brown on his wrong foot was class personified. It is unfathomable that people have a crack at him for his game last night

Shows something different in the middle compared to our treacle brigade as well which is a really nice addition to the rotation

Is using the step again, which he wasn't early on in the season.

More outside for mine mate.

Boomeresque mid/half forward.

Just needs to practice his running goal kicking with Boomer

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=13&type=A&pid1=6340&pid2=148&fid1=O&fid2=O

More outside for mine mate.

Boomeresque mid/half forward.

Just needs to practice his running goal kicking with Boomer

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=13&type=A&pid1=6340&pid2=148&fid1=O&fid2=O

Moves too well in traffic to be pigeonholed as outside. He is tougher than his frame would have you think, and he's a hard little bastard as well. With some extra strength and some more conditioning I think he is an excellent balance of inside and outside, predominantly as part of the centre square mix

He probably doesn't have the pace Boomer did but he does read the footy well off hands as evidenced by the Goldstein read, so he's either a small forward (shown absolutely nothing to suggest he will succeed or need to succeed long term there) or a centre square midfielder

I think we've had the previous couple of seasons demonstrate that he does struggle to get to the right spots on a consistent basis when he's played on a HFF or outside the contest. Moving him into the centre square rotations and allowing him to hunt the footy has actually been one of the better coaching decisions made

Nice problem to have

Watching his last quarter

His vision is elite. Once the ability to get the ball catches up to where his brain wants it to go, he will be a serious dynamic midfielder

That 10 minute period where he put the team on his back was electric.

Watching his last quarter

His vision is elite. Once the ability to get the ball catches up to where his brain wants it to go, he will be a serious dynamic midfielder

Last year he sharked a tap from Goldy to Jed and hit Higgo with it on the move outside traffic. It was really good. Someone made a gif of it.

Yesterday was the first time I've really seen him back that up.

His brain is more than fast enough to play inside imo.

Was one of the shining lights in an otherwise dark performance....
Like a stream of bat's piss.

monty-python-wilde.jpg

(It was one of Wilde's.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, said it last year. He has very good awareness around the contest and his side step allows him to get out of trouble. His lack of top speed hurts him as a small forward although have to admit that he looked a yard quicker against the Swans than I have seen before. Still not quick but at least he has solid acceleration potential. Like Atley, they both seem to just work better in traffic. Perhaps they think too much (or little) when they have space.

Has a lot of ticker about him. Will get the best out of himself. Could see how frustrated he was at the end of the game, much better than watching Lmac smirk after another loss.

Watching him after that loss was heartening for me. That level of angst is motivational.

And I think scottywiper is onto something re breakout games.

I think that VFL game reminded him what he can do if he puts his mind to it. Hopefully he'll take the loss as down to him cos he missed those shots on goal and work even harder.

Agreed, said it last year. He has very good awareness around the contest and his side step allows him to get out of trouble. His lack of top speed hurts him as a small forward although have to admit that he looked a yard quicker against the Swans than I have seen before. Still not quick but at least he has solid acceleration potential. Like Atley, they both seem to just work better in traffic. Perhaps they think too much (or little) when they have space.
I was thinking the same re: his pace. Took off at one stage after a loose ball and looked quick, haven’t seen that from him before. Loads of potential!

Simpkin kicks those two last quarter goals you are looking at a Juddesque breakout game.

He doesn't finish like Boomer (yet), but he's better in a scrap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back