Delisted #4 Ryan 'The Clamps' Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

uITEbjYC.jpg

Ryan Clarke

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans recruited Ryan Clarke from North Melbourne ahead of season 2019 and he’s since shown promising signs as a young midfielder. The number four is a prolific ball-winner and can also be used to blanket a star on-baller, which he proved last year in shutting down gun Kangaroo Shaun Higgins and classy Magpie Steele Sidebottom. Clarke played 14 senior games in a stop-start 2019 campaign and has set his sights on cementing a spot in coach John Longmire’s best 22 this year. Draft history: 2015 National Draft selection (North Melbourne), No. 31 overall

Ryan Clarke

DOB:17 June 1997
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT:2015
RECRUITED FROM: Rowville (Vic)/Melb Grammar (Vic)/Eastern U18/North Melb

Last edited:
He is the Sinkers of the midfield group, cannot fault their endeavour.
And to be fair to him he did look a lot cleaner last night too.

I was clearly one odmf those disappointed in him & wanted him to soend more time in NEAFL... am I glad he got the call up though! He did a brilliant job & maybe found his spot (*fingers crossed*)

And to be fair to him he did look a lot cleaner last night too.

I was clearly one odmf those disappointed in him & wanted him to soend more time in NEAFL... am I glad he got the call up though! He did a brilliant job & maybe found his spot (*fingers crossed*)

Both Kirky and KJ didn't do much except tag in their first few seasons.
Clarke have to play like that every week to hold his spot IMO.
Unless, and until, he cleans up his disposal....like the other 2 managed to do.

If Franklin and Kennedy are ready to play this Friday, I'd be OK with Clarke staying in (Jones and Rowbottom would go out). I'd be happy to test Clarke by having him run with Sidebottom. If he takes out Sidebottom and Higgins in consecutive weeks, we'll know we've got a real tagging option on our hands.

Like most players of limited talent played better when given a clear simplified role and played within his limitations.

Good sign of what he can offer but will need to back it up over the next few weeks before establishing a future in the team. Some good opportunities coming up against some midfield guns of the competition in the next 3 weeks.

He did. Say what you will about North Melbourne but Clarke did not play against North Melbourne yesterday, he played against Shaun Higgins and he beat Higgins.

thats a fair point

he can certainly get the ball, maybe tagging is his go

but lets see a few more

Great game. Ironic that Sidebottom improved when Hewett went off! You let one bloke off the chain, he brings others in. Again, great game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The funny thing about his role change is that even though his main role is to be defensive, it seems now he knows exactly what is asked of him, his disposal has become more decisive. He's certainly no world beater but the first few games he was a liability with the ball, and he's not now. He was assisted by his inside midfielders at times when Sidebottom went into a centre bounce - Clarke would sit on a wing and then take him after the initial centre stoppage was done with.

No small accomplishment to completely nullify Higgins and Sidebottom in consecutive weeks. The gut-running wingmen are his go. Mitch Duncan could be next.

now he knows exactly what is asked of him, his disposal has become more decisive.

Now this is why people on here just need to let new players to the club & players who haven't yet played 50 games, develop into roles the club gives them.
Ryan is going to have another shocker or two in his next 20 games but he has the ticker that our club cherishes & he walked off the ground last night knowing he now belongs in this team & when he gains more belief, he'll be able to learn when to attack a little more than defend which young George Hewitt is now mastering. That is a credit to the coaches again for being great teachers. The lineup is settling, the depth is growing & when players become available again when they return from injury, we'll have a battle for spots. Positive signs going forward for the club.

Now this is why people on here just need to let new players to the club & players who haven't yet played 50 games, develop into roles the club gives them.
Ryan is going to have another shocker or two in his next 20 games but he has the ticker that our club cherishes & he walked off the ground last night knowing he now belongs in this team & when he gains more belief, he'll be able to learn when to attack a little more than defend which young George Hewitt is now mastering. That is a credit to the coaches again for being great teachers. The lineup is settling, the depth is growing & when players become available again when they return from injury, we'll have a battle for spots. Positive signs going forward for the club.
So much this! It never ceases to amaze me the enthusiasm that some people seem to have to draw a line through some players based on only a handful of performances. Not every player will be a champion from game 1. Some take a few years and several tens of games before they find a role and gain the experience to perform at the required level.

So much this! It never ceases to amaze me the enthusiasm that some people seem to have to draw a line through some players based on only a handful of performances. Not every player will be a champion from game 1. Some take a few years and several tens of games before they find a role and gain the experience to perform at the required level.

Yeah spot on Davy.
Reg played 3 years as a forward in the twos. What a career as a defender. A change in roles & we have another past champion at our club.

Taking the Brett Kirk apprenticeship option. Give them a tagging role which allows them to learn against the best, gain confidence and evolve into a quality mid ala Hewett.

Hopefully Clarke has found his niche here.

People do go hard early yep but people get way too excited about one or two games

He’s god ordinary

Easily first out of the side

Wouldn’t want him near a final

Did a commendable job but this is professional footy not the good try league

Handy depth at best imo

Nope!
"People" just don't write players off as easily as some "people".

Yeah I get it every swans player is brilliant and it’s a sin to say otherwise

That’s why we are top of the ladder and never delist players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back