Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
The nrl are announcing seperate attendances for individual games for this weekends round, all played at the one venue.

To me this is problematic due to apparently ticketing being such that one ticket gets you in for all games being played that day. Seems like alot of people we be counted twice in the annouced crowd figures.

The nrl are announcing seperate attendances for individual games for this weekends round, all played at the one venue.

To me this is problematic due to apparently ticketing being such that one ticket gets you in for all games being played that day. Seems like alot of people we be counted twice in the annouced crowd figures.

That’s dodgy as all hell. You can’t trust that figure at all if that’s the case. The same person sitting in the same seat throughout the day gets counted twice or even three times.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
That’s dodgy as all hell. You can’t trust that figure at all if that’s the case. The same person sitting in the same seat throughout the day gets counted twice or even three times.
Thinking about this more, if they are going to continue with this method of announcing seperate game attendance figures even though one ticket buys you access to multiple games, they could have an aggregate of about 250000 - 300000 for this round. The nrl's all time round record is about 200000, so its an anomoly that no one will believe.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Thinking about this more, if they are going to continue with this method of announcing seperate game attendance figures even though one ticket buys you access to multiple games, they could have an aggregate of about 250000 - 300000 for this round. The nrl's all time round record is about 200000, so its an anomoly that no one will believe.

No wonder they are a laughing stock when it comes to crowd numbers with some clubs admitting to lying about crowd numbers in the past.
Pulling a stunt like this to inflate their crowds will only make them look worse.
If 45.000 turn up on the day thats the total paying attendance unless they clear the stadium between matches and charge for each match they cant be counted 2 or three times. Any fool can work this out

kaypee

All Australian
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls

That's a feature, not a bug. Precisely why they do it.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

problematic? its out and out bullshit.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
The way they are reporting the crowds is dodgy as all hell.

No League fan can ever question the truth of AFL or A-league attendances again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yeah, It would be like the AFL saying that because there was a curtain raiser the instead of 70,000 being at the G there was 140,000 because there is two matches on!

Anyone else here follow Empty seats galore on twitter? Predominantly about American sports (occasionally the A-League gets a mention), but they expose the seemingly American tendency for teams to announce crowds based on tickets sold, not actual attendees.

For instance:

There wouldn't be more than 2000 people in the stadium.

or this:

The capacity of Wrigley field is 41,000.

AFAIK no team in this country reports on tickets sold, but jeez it'd be funny if they did.

When I spent a year in North America 30 years ago, I was told that in MLB, the National League counts tickets sold, and the American League counted turnstile clicks. But this good long Forbes article from 2011 suggests that both now count tickets sold, and that other leagues now count tickets sold and do interesting things to get sell ous, especially NFL teams that if they don't sell out a game then it's blacked out off local TV. They talk about a Buffalo Bills sponsor buying 7,000 to 8,000 tickets for the last home game to ensure a game wasn't blacked out of local TV. See
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sports...s-attendance-figures-speak-lies/#1ff32402b2ab

If the US tickets sold system was used in Oz, then the minimum crowd at the MCG would be 45,000 as the AFL sell out their 23,000 members reserve and the MCC sell out their 22,000 members reserve. You would think that Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn would sell at least 30,000 season tickets for the MCG given their membership numbers, so that takes their minimum game attendances to 75,000.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I think the issue is the person sitting in a seat for 1 game gets counted for all 3.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I think the issue is the person sitting in a seat for 1 game gets counted for all 3.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

If they watch all three I don't have a problem with it (do the grounds have scan out technology?)

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I think we all get a bit caught up in attendance numbers and the reality of them. I sorta talking to both this thread and the AFL crowds one, where people are again questioning attendance figures. I think some people think that each stadium does thing the same or there is some kind of regulation for this. I very much doubt this. I reckon each administrator does thing slightly differently. Perhaps the downturn of GC numbers is that they have changed management and hence starting counting less "people.", perhaps it is the same. (i have only mentioned a potential downturn because a GC member thought it was 11-12K. I do not imply it is the case) The fact of the matter is, there is no real evidence either way.

The sport's administrators probably look at other figures to judge growth or success, not just these attendance figures. I found this convo interesting when it happened between the CEO of Cricket Tas and a cricket statistician, especially the "We account for the crowds a little differently to the past administration" part......

As for the NRL magic round, technically, what they are doing is "right". that is, the "attendance" for that each match 1-2-3 is what it was, assuming ticket scans and exits. Now, I agree with the stat hungry and non-misleading reasons that it is a bit dodgy for a bunch of reasons to say 100K attended those 3 matches. But it is their figures, their media releases and their numbers. If people are dumb enough to not question it, that is their doing. It doesn't mean their counting of crowds is "wrong" elsewhere though.

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
AFR Max Mason 13.5.19

"Foxtel is looking to cut costs amid pressure on profits...Newscorp said there was an opportunity to 'reduce spend on non-marquee sporting content', but did not define which sports that related to".

The signs are ominous for sports such as soccer & RU- it is probable there will be a significant reduction in their next Foxtel broadcast $ Rights.

https://www.afr.com/business/media-...t-sport-and-programming-costs-20190513-p51mp2

SMH 13.5.19 C. Kreuger

Foxtel lost $417,000,000 in calendar 2018- excluding a $120,000,000 tax benefit.

"Media industry sources believe Rights to Super Rugby and Wallaby Tests, which expire in 2020, and soccer's A league competition, could be among the sports' affected by Foxtel's move to rein in spending".

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...e-sports-after-417m-loss-20190513-p51msx.html

Last edited:

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
AFR Max Mason 13.5.19

"Foxtel is looking to cut costs amid pressure on profits...Newscorp said there was an opportunity to 'reduce spend on non-marquee sporting content', but did not define which sports that related to".

The signs are ominous for sports such as soccer & RU- it is probable there will be a significant reduction in their next Foxtel broadcast $ Rights.

https://www.afr.com/business/media-...t-sport-and-programming-costs-20190513-p51mp2

SMH 13.5.19

Foxtel lost $417,000,000 in 2018.

Even the AFL and NRL could be under threat if Foxtell keep running at a massive loss.
It is a failed business model and has to have paid ads to prop it up and it dosent look like they can generate any new subcsribers no matter what they do.
Apparently Netfix and Stan are really hurting them.

Even the AFL and NRL could be under threat if Foxtell keep running at a massive loss.
It is a failed business model and has to have paid ads to prop it up and it dosent look like they can generate any new subcsribers no matter what they do.
Apparently Netfix and Stan are really hurting them.

Yep. Report in weekend rags that News is doing a mulit billion dollar equity injection, and Telstra has refused to match. They want out, and for an IPO to be run to let them walk.

Streaming is the model people now prefer because it isn't tied to one screen and a set top box, and you don't have to buy 30 channels of s**t you don't want.

With Foxtel subscribers falling, and streaming on the rise, question for me is will the set top box still be a thing in 2025?

The question is what kind of money can they spend on sports rights if it's just Kayo.

Correct, as sport was used to get people on board to subscribe to the rest

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Yet another game the NRL are taking to a NSW country area today.

Can only imagine there is a financial incentive to do so.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Yep. Report in weekend rags that News is doing a mulit billion dollar equity injection, and Telstra has refused to match. They want out, and for an IPO to be run to let them walk.

Streaming is the model people now prefer because it isn't tied to one screen and a set top box, and you don't have to buy 30 channels of **** you don't want.

With Foxtel subscribers falling, and streaming on the rise, question for me is will the set top box still be a thing in 2025?
The issue is the Netflix model is still very different to the sports model. As it stands most sports streaming services have get there content from local broadcasters. Very few if any are producing there own content. Even Netflix have had to up prices to cover costs of there own produced shows.

It's only early in the streaming era and platforms have had to offer cheap services to move people away from cable tv. The question is how long is this sustainable for them. Content cost money no matter who delivers the product. Everyone believes streaming will be substantially cheaper than the cable model but reality suggests it may not be long term.

Back