Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

5 tackles from a key forward is an excellent number by any measure. It's almost as though he thinks he's playing a team game.

yeah the way he sacrifices touching the ball is brilliant

5 tackles, basically the next jude Bolton

yeah the way he sacrifices touching the ball is brilliant

5 tackles, basically the next jude Bolton

You know there are a couple of things in life that are tolerable, even if difficult to tolerate. Criticism and ignorance.

But criticism born of ignorance is really hard to cop.

Your criticism, both of the coach and Sam Reid, is born of ignorance. It’s just cliche ridden BS which tries to project some expertise but instead shows you simply don’t have a bloody clue about what’s going on on the field. Or why.

Great to hear the gutless still mocking players from behind the safety of a keyboard. Get a life.

Just going to leave this here... playing Devils advocate and all. Reid kinda went all right tonight yeah?
View attachment 679871
One good game does not make a player.
I dont think anyone on this board wants him to fail, but if he can play this well, he needs to do it more that once a year

Not taking away from his game, he was terrific! but im gonna watch the next few weeks to see him back it up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try this.

“I was wrong.”

Try it.

so when i said he barely ever plays a good game he proves it with one game

just rubbish

he was fantastic tonight no doubt

but its still mostly rubbish footy week in week out

if you thimk one good game changes that than you have to be pretty stupid

its like Carlton winning this week by 60 and deciding they are now a good team

when he plays a month of consistent good footy then let me know

hes never done it yet so im pretty safe

for the record i want to be wrong, we have him so hope he plays well

but he didnt prove anything tonight other than he should be held to a standard that people refuse to hold him too

One excellent game v a 130 game career of largely mediocre games. Hmm

yep if after one good game you jump on here to prove reid is great then its pretty dopey

One good game does not make a player.
I dont think anyone on this board wants him to fail, but if he can play this well, he needs to do it more that once a year

Not taking away from his game, he was terrific! but im gonna watch the next few weeks to see him back it up

Agreed on your first point as Ronke is certainly testimony supporting it..

Regarding 2nd point there have been plenty of quotes on this forum writing Sam off and wishing he never gets chosen to play in 1sts again. It would be desirable for more consistency with Sam and injuries have certainly played their part throughout his career. He was out of touch earlier this season however has been building nicely over the past few weeks.

I think we all share your wishes for point 3 in that Sam backs up tonights performance with a few more dominant games. He was brilliant tonight and shows what he can bring to the team both forward and in the ruck when Sinclair was being dominated by Grundy.

so when i said he barely ever plays a good game he proves it with one game

just rubbish

he was fantastic tonight no doubt

but its still mostly rubbish footy week in week out

if you thimk one good game changes that than you have to be pretty stupid

its like Carlton winning this week by 60 and deciding they are now a good team

when he plays a month of consistent good footy then let me know

hes never done it yet so im pretty safe

for the record i want to be wrong, we have him so hope he plays well

but he didnt prove anything tonight other than he should be held to a standard that people refuse to hold him too

Mate. You’re wrong. You don’t understand roles. You don’t understand that it’s precisely what he did tonight that forces other clubs to compromise on other players to mark him. And when they do, Reid finds another way to contribute like with his 5 tackles last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back