Toast Rising Star Bailey Smith 28 disposals against Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

21!? Surely you have to have missed the boat by now?

What next? Norf will recruit Boomer Harvey in the mid-season draft and he'll be eligible too?
The Rising Star is a pretty flawed award. So many previous winners have gone on to achieve very little (Lewis Taylor beating Bont, Callum Mills beating Caleb Daniel). You also see players being ruled ineligible for playing too many games one year, then someone older gets to be nominated the following season.

Just compare Zurhar to Naughton this week. Zurhar is a year and a half older, and Naughton's game was laughably better than Zurhar, but he played too many last year for him to qualify this year. Sort of sucks considering Naughton was the last player to be nominated last year, and got 0 votes

This kid is a brute of a footballer. Very different player - but like Bont in his first year is just seeming to get better and with each game to the point that in a few games time he'll have a few huge match winning moments where everyone says: Wait who the ***k were the six guys taken in front of him?

The Rising Star is a pretty flawed award. So many previous winners have gone on to achieve very little (Lewis Taylor beating Bont, Callum Mills beating Caleb Daniel). You also see players being ruled ineligible for playing too many games one year, then someone older gets to be nominated the following season.

Just compare Zurhar to Naughton this week. Zurhar is a year and a half older, and Naughton's game was laughably better than Zurhar, but he played too many last year for him to qualify this year. Sort of sucks considering Naughton was the last player to be nominated last year, and got 0 votes
Not sure I fully agree with you there. There is certainly some debate within a year as to who should’ve won (Lewis Taylor being the obvious one) but the list of past winners independently of that is a reasonably handy list of players. Even Taylor has gone on to play 100 games already and about as many as Bont.

It makes sense too that Naughton should be ineligible. If you don’t have a games played cap in it, it may as well be an U21 brownlow whereas this is for the emerging young player and sometimes that’ll be a slightly older player that has taken longer to break into a team so you need a mix of age and games played cap. Maybe it needs another cap on not being beyond 2nd year of footy? Not sure how else you’d make Zurhaar ineligible.

seems to love the club can see him signing on very very quickly once they work out a suitable offer. Gonna be good times the next few years with English > Baz > Naughton > Goal becoming a regular thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a night of crushing disappointments we can be thankful that this kid will hopefully play for us for the next decade.

In a game featuring Dangerfield, Bontempelli, Kelly, Duncan and Selwood he was at times the most influential mid on the ground.

Love how he can win a hard ball and explode from the stoppage. I can’t remember the last time we had this type of player. Griffin probably, but seems quicker than Ryan.

Better kick i reckon and more mungrel

Better field kick ( post JLT!)
Jury out on his goalkicking. Not enough data. Cooney kicked some good goals. Think Bailey likes contested ball so much we haven’t seen him out in the open as much as Cooney ( or Griff) to really see his full pace. They all have similar burst out of pack. I reckon he’ll develop a better Footy IQ than both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could end up our third best player after Bont & Naughton.
He really does have natural aggression on the field, can use the ball well, has quick hands and is seriously quick.

He's basically Johnno with burst speed but less overhead ability.

Love how he can win a hard ball and explode from the stoppage. I can’t remember the last time we had this type of player. Griffin probably, but seems quicker than Ryan.

Yeah last night he really did remind me of Griffen from 08-12 as well. Strength through the core - so clean, so explosive and direct from a stoppage.

I don't know if he quite has Griff's breakaway ability on the outside or polish in terms of foot skills (Griff was an elite kick earlier in his career pre-back injuries) but he might grow into being a more effect contested ball winner than Griff ever was.

Could end up our third best player after Bont & Naughton.
He really does have natural aggression on the field, can use the ball well, has quick hands and is seriously quick.

He's basically Johnno with burst speed but less overhead ability.
If Jack Macraes our 4th best player and we dont win multiple flags. Im not gonna be happy.

If Jack Macraes our 4th best player and we dont win multiple flags. Im not gonna be happy.

The St. Kilda side of late 00's had Riewoldt, Hayes, Dal Santo, Goddard, Montagna, Milne and Fisher and won none.

Yes, let's hope we reach the summit again, but let us not lose sight of the fact that they hard to win (and in fact often have more to do with the quality of players 16-22 than the top bracket).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back