Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Wtf? No, just no. We have no structure and our forwards never spread. Hogan, like the rest of our forwards made minimal leads, they just stand there waiting for the long bomb. Hogans opponent was best on at half time and ended up being one of the best players for the game.

Living in Melbourne I don't get to see the boys play live very often, so took this chance to see what the forward line is doing without the ball. Hogan runs really good lead patterns, doubles back, runs circles to try and get more angles. Where as Tabs just sees the ball in the air and runs straight to where Hogan is. I actually really like Tabs but he is a really really dumb forward, the amount of times space was available only for him to bring his opponent in was infuriating.

Wtf? No, just no. We have no structure and our forwards never spread. Hogan, like the rest of our forwards made minimal leads, they just stand there waiting for the long bomb. Hogans opponent was best on at half time and ended up being one of the best players for the game.

Must have watched a different game tbh, I saw Hogan doing a lot of the small things right that create space and angles where as Tabs would just run into said space and cause congestion.

I never said Hogan had a good game but his work off the ball is easily the best in our team.

Must have watched a different game tbh, I saw Hogan doing a lot of the small things right that create space and angles where as Tabs would just run into said space and cause congestion.

I never said Hogan had a good game but his work off the ball is easily the best in our team.

Not sure of this game, only watched it on TV, but generally speaking Tabs work rate is very good and, though he can be a bit one dimensional in the fwd line, that is true, he's a big unit and so that's going to be his MO. Up the field though I thought he had a pretty good game, was a useful target up the wings and tended to move it on with some purpose and accuracy (one genuine clanger off memory). He is easily our best outlet mark at the moment, and by some way.

Unfortunately he turned to s**t like every other Docker player that went into the Bermuda Triangle that is our fwd 50. But his body of form makes him hard to drop even if he's getting it wrong at times. He's miles ahead of Cox and McCarthy that's for sure.

Not sure of this game, only watched it on TV, but generally speaking Tabs work rate is very good and, though he can be a bit one dimensional in the fwd line, that is true, he's a big unit and so that's going to be his MO. Up the field though I thought he had a pretty good game, was a useful target up the wings and tended to move it on with some purpose and accuracy (one genuine clanger off memory). He is easily our best outlet mark at the moment, and by some way.

Unfortunately he turned to **** like every other Docker player that went into the Bermuda Triangle that is our fwd 50. But his body of form makes him hard to drop even if he's getting it wrong at times. He's miles ahead of Cox and McCarthy that's for sure.
Even if he has a bad game he still gets 8 + marks. Cox got 2 and Hogan got 4. Honestly. That’s embarrassing for the forward line. Tall doesn’t make us any better if not worse on the scoreboard

The problem with Tabs is he can't run and jump and mark the footy. He's very good at planting his feet and protecting the space and marking the ball. So when the forward 50 is as congested as we play it there's actually no point playing Tabs as the highest forward. We chip the ball the top of the square hoping for a pack mark and set up behind the ball for repeat entries. How many marks have we taken??? if we stick with this game plan we need to play Lobb at FF because he's our only player capable of a big pack mark.

Hopefully we change tactics and try and move the ball faster and give our forwards more 1 v 1s. Tabs and Hogan will dominate I feel if they get a 1 v 1 in the forward 50 and we need to give them a chance.

The problem with Tabs is he can't run and jump and mark the footy. He's very good at planting his feet and protecting the space and marking the ball. So when the forward 50 is as congested as we play it there's actually no point playing Tabs as the highest forward. We chip the ball the top of the square hoping for a pack mark and set up behind the ball for repeat entries. How many marks have we taken??? if we stick with this game plan we need to play Lobb at FF because he's our only player capable of a big pack mark.

Hopefully we change tactics and try and move the ball faster and give our forwards more 1 v 1s. Tabs and Hogan will dominate I feel if they get a 1 v 1 in the forward 50 and we need to give them a chance.
Agree. Defenders are smart at just scragging him and blocking his space. So he’s been pushed into the pack and can’t do much else. I’m disinterested tbh with the forward line. We’ve been stuck with this problem for 10 years and still we re bombing it, clunking two forwards together?

Even if he has a bad game he still gets 8 + marks. Cox got 2 and Hogan got 4. Honestly. That’s embarrassing for the forward line. Tall doesn’t make us any better if not worse on the scoreboard

Yeah agree. I wanted Cox in a couple of weeks ago because I thought he at least offers us some presence in the air (he's a good mark when in form) and general competitive umph which McCarthy has proven crap at. But Cox has been ordinary in his few games and was awful on the weekend. He was out pointed so often it was an embarrassment. If he's going to be as weak as that, then put a small in who at least can offer a bit of pressure and give us a some pace around the place.

Added to that, one thing Tabs is doing well is bring the ball to ground when he can't take it himself - time to take more advantage of that if nothing else. It's not a panacea, but the 3 tall(ish) fwds and a ruck is not working.

I was shocked to see that we are 7th for I50's and 6 for marks inside 50.....seem to be wasting a lot of entries and a lot of marks inside 50!

I think that's the bottom line for where we're at really. We're not that bad and after a good start I think that's why the mood is so down - in a sense, expectations are rightly high and we're not delivering because our fwd 50 play is so inefficient. It was a problem last year too, but we have more power up front now with Tabs doing OK and supported by quality (Hogan and Lobb) and potential quality (McCarthy) and there really should be no excuses for us not scoring enough to win games.

That said, we're also much weaker in terms of defensive pressure in the fwd 50, it comes out a bit too easily. Like I said above, that's not on Tabs really, but is an issue for team set-up.

I was shocked to see that we are 7th for I50's and 6 for marks inside 50.....seem to be wasting a lot of entries and a lot of marks inside 50!

Those numbers are misleading. We get crappy repeat forward 50 entries with 36 players being in our forward line. To score when our forward half is so flooded is pretty much impossible.

Those numbers are misleading. We get crappy repeat forward 50 entries with 36 players being in our forward line. To score when our forward half is so flooded is pretty much impossible.
If you were an opposition coach about to play Freo what would you do after watching how Freo play over these last few weeks?

Every club knows now, just flood the backline. Freo don't have the skill/gameplan to hit targets forward of centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m expecting a good showing from our tall forwards this week.
Hogan anddd who? Cox isn’t a tall tall. Harsh on him. He’s developing and now he has to be the key forward at 195cm. The question is. Do we bring in McCarthy for Tabs or Jones. None of Cox or McCarthy can ruck, not st their height

Tabs has been struggling with this for two weeks, finally diagnosed.... those trolling him on this thread... well obvious who they are can ... f..... right.......f.

I’m a Tabs Fan and get frustrated by the amount of dumping that happens on him.... til he’s not about and people realise how important he is to our structure...

Good thing is now it’s a lower the eyes entry into the forwards, which in the long term can’t be a bad thing.

Tabs has been struggling with this for two weeks, finally diagnosed.... those trolling him on this thread... well obvious who they are can ... f..... right.......f.

I’m a Tabs Fan and get frustrated by the amount of dumping that happens on him.... til he’s not about and people realise how important he is to our structure...

Good thing is now it’s a lower the eyes entry into the forwards, which in the long term can’t be a bad thing.
Agree with all except the last bit. We won't lower our eyes, we never do.

Hogan anddd who? Cox isn’t a tall tall. Harsh on him. He’s developing and now he has to be the key forward at 195cm. The question is. Do we bring in McCarthy for Tabs or Jones. None of Cox or McCarthy can ruck, not st their height

195cm and 99kg. He can pinch hit in the ruck ok.

His problem was that our fwd line (Hogan 195cm, Cox 195cm and Tabs 198cm) was too tall for Marvel Stadium.

I was calling to drop Cox but with Tabs injury he now takes over that spot. He was the starting KPF in the first JLT against Collingwood.
IMG_0620.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Might not be tall tall, but he is tall enough and his strength (when it appears) is his aerial game, he's as strong a mark as we have in the team when in form. He and McCarthy (who is a good few levels worse in contested marking) have to come to the party now. Might be the making of them, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ideal world, Darcy in and Lobb moves to more fwd position which is really the ideal ... but you know, its Fremantle, right :rolleyes:

Agree with all except the last bit. We won't lower our eyes, we never do.

If recent history is anything to go by, you're probably right. In this situation last year we had to endure frequent fwd 50 entries of high kicks landing square on Walter's head with at least 1 usually 2 190cm+ defenders on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back