List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d get Grundy to write his own cheque personally. Easily our most important player. Could ask for whatever he wanted at another club and would get it.

Loves it at the Pies and don’t see him taking us to the cleaners.

Baffled anyone would even remotely entertain letting him go.

Knightmare whatever happened to Jonty Scharenberg...

A good but not great SANFL mid. Hasn't taken any meaningful steps in recent years. He'll get you something like 20-25d each game without any hurt factor or offering anything special.

Grundy is the best player in the league.
900k would be extremely cheap.

Grundy - 25.

Compare that to the following:

McGovern- 27- 1mil +
Buddy - 32 - 1 mil +
Dusty - 28 - 1 mil +
Fyfe - 28 - 1 mil +
Nic Nat - 28 - 1 mil +

Crazy.

900k is unders... but if we want to keep the 'band' together, we need Grundy and De Goey to sign for 900-1mill and no more.

Phillips has likely resigned on a greater deal... Moore, Stephenson, Mihocek, Sier, C Brown likely to next time around have bigger deals too.

Adams resigned but still not cheap. Likewise further contracts down the track for Treloar, Sidebottom, Pendlebury.

And of those possible to delist/retire like Goldsack, Reid, Wills, Varcoe, Dunn, Greenwood, Wells (after paycut he's taken)... are all on smaller deals at this point of their careers.

If we pay full price for our top players then we will need to sacrifice a player/s down the track

900k is unders... but if we want to keep the 'band' together, we need Grundy and De Goey to sign for 900-1mill and no more.

Phillips has likely resigned on a greater deal... Moore, Stephenson, Mihocek, Sier, C Brown likely to next time around have bigger deals too.

Adams resigned but still not cheap. Likewise further contracts down the track for Treloar, Sidebottom, Pendlebury.

And of those possible to delist/retire like Goldsack, Reid, Wills, Varcoe, Dunn, Greenwood, Wells (after paycut he's taken)... are all on smaller deals at this point of their careers.

If we pay full price for our top players then we will need to sacrifice a player/s down the track
What about Moore?

Its the reality - if players want to stay together & win premierships with a quality list - they'll need to take unders.

Its what made Geelong & Hawthorn oh so good, for so long.

I'm 99% sure our #1 priority and #2 and #2 will be keeping the players we currently have. We don't have the cap space to chase anyone unless someone leaves
Surely with some retirements should free up some cap space, by all means keep our own first but hopefully some guys stay for a little less for success like hawthorn and Geelong have done over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 99% sure our #1 priority and #2 and #2 will be keeping the players we currently have. We don't have the cap space to chase anyone unless someone leaves

I can't see us chasing any stars, but guys like Shai Bolton wouldn't demand a big salary. I'm not suggesting we should target him in particular as I 've barely seen him play, but I'm sure over the next couple of years we'll still bring in a player or two from other clubs.

I believe we should target Fremantle’s KPPs. They have overstocked on KPP. Most of them are young, and could thrive in a proper environment.

Fremantle KPP’s :

Griffin Logue - 193cms- 21 years old

Sean Darcy - 202 - 21

Jesse Hogan - 195 - 24

Hugh Dixon - 196- 20

Matt Taberner - 198- 26

Joel Hamling - 194 - 26

Shane Kersten - 191- 26

Cam McCarthy - 192- 24

Alex Pearce - 201 - 24

Lloyd Meek - 203 - 21

Brennan Cox - 195 - 21

Rory Lloyd - 206 - 26

Scott Jones - 205 - 24

Taylin Dumin - 193 - 21

A few of these players are mature and mediocre, others are just starting their career. Some haven’t even started their career yet.

I believe we should target Fremantle’s KPPs. They have overstocked on KPP. Most of them are young, and could thrive in a proper environment.

Fremantle KPP’s :

Griffin Logue - 193cms- 21 years old

Sean Darcy - 202 - 21

Jesse Hogan - 195 - 24

Hugh Dixon - 196- 20

Matt Taberner - 198- 26

Joel Hamling - 194 - 26

Shane Kersten - 191- 26

Cam McCarthy - 192- 24

Alex Pearce - 201 - 24

Lloyd Meek - 203 - 21

Brennan Cox - 195 - 21

Rory Lloyd - 206 - 26

Scott Jones - 205 - 24

Taylin Dumin - 193 - 21

A few of these players are mature and mediocre, others are just starting their career. Some haven’t even started their career yet.
Wouldn't mind Brennan Cox but he's a SA boy. If he leaves I'd imagine it would be to go back home.

No 1st round pick and minimal salary cap space but think at the end of 2019 we can achieve a few things cheaply

1) senior or rookie listed positional depth with experienced players from other teams like we did with Roughead.

To this end I'd get a mature second ruck option. If Grundy goes down I don't want to move Cox out of the forward line. Lynch just isn't ready. There are other players like Moore and Roughead who can ruck but they are better suited elsewhere and not suited to the role week in and out. Older rucks at other clubs or state leagues have mature and seasoned rucks that can be picked up very cheaply.

2) target young players with complimentary attributes at other clubs - whilst they are still raw and developing. No good waiting til they have a stand out season and their value goes up like Ed Langdon or B Fiorini. Names mentioned on this board 12-18 months ago but dismissed too easily as they were yet to achieve much. Now they are out of our price range if we are to retain our big names.

3) Even without a top draft pick, target a young KPF to develop in the VFL. The VFL form of late draft picks like Buzza and Kerr show that with development a late pick can provide handy depth.

Wouldn't mind Brennan Cox but he's a SA boy. If he leaves I'd imagine it would be to go back home.
Maybe, maybe not. Mitch McGovern is a case in point.

thought i'd revisit the 2013 draft. on what could have been.. excluding picks 1-5. given our picks were after/ we could have taken Salem / CRIPPS / Jones. and the one that really hurts is we had pick 11 which we traded away. for guess who.. Dom Sheed.. wow the irony

1558415501311.png

thought i'd revisit the 2013 draft. on what could have been.. excluding picks 1-5. given our picks were after/ we could have taken Salem / CRIPPS / Jones. and the one that really hurts is we had pick 11 which we traded away. for guess who.. Dom Sheed.. wow the irony

View attachment 677939
Sheed would have been picked at 6 by West Coast if we hadn’t traded with them to move up to 6. They were going to grab him regardless, they likely wouldn’t have traded down if they had wanted someone else.

View attachment 677939

At the time there was Talk that Hine was very high on Salem was hoping he got to Pick 10

View attachment 677939

Boyd, Freeman, Lennon and Apeness all now gone, Lang as good as given he's been gifted to Carlton, Leslie reduced to a RL. That's a pretty poor strike rate and Kelly, the Bont, and Cripper aside, it's a pretty poor top 20 really. Sheed, Aish, Dunstan, Salem, Billings and Jones probably on the next level down. Gold Coast seem to have taken the wrong Kolodjashnij.

Interestingly though, it may well be the draft that the Bears look back on as the start of the re-genesis.

2013:
Aish; Gardiner; McStay; Taylor; Robertson
2014:
Andrews
2015:
Schache; Hipwood; Mathieson; Keays (Aish trade)
2016:
McCluggage; J Berry, Witherden; McInerney (RD)
2017:
Ballenden; Wooler; Raynor; Starcevich; Bailey (Schache trade); Payne (Schache trade)
2018:
Smith; T Berry; Joyce; McFayden; Answerth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back