Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Yeah I see him playing mid in a couple of years as well. That break away speed is going to be Juddesque! (Or is that Swannyesque?)
I like the comparison with Daisy because they're both "natural footballers" but Daisy was a bit more of a spectacular mark whereas Stevo is just brilliant running onto a groundball. Both are smart players but to me....Daisy was a more emotional player (heart and soul) whereas Stevo is just that Cold Blooded killer type....never gets flustered, never upset and forever dangerous.

Yeah I see him playing mid in a couple of years as well. That break away speed is going to be Juddesque! (Or is that Swannyesque?)
I like the comparison with Daisy because they're both "natural footballers" but Daisy was a bit more of a spectacular mark whereas Stevo is just brilliant running onto a groundball. Both are smart players but to me....Daisy was a more emotional player (heart and soul) whereas Stevo is just that Cold Blooded killer type....never gets flustered, never upset and forever dangerous.

That is well summed up Robroy22

3rdMan

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seems to be a thought that Stevo's going ok but not quite as well as last year. He's definitely improved on last season:

Disposals: +3.4
Goal Avg: +0.3
Marks: +2.9 (3rd in the comp for marks inside 50)
Goal Assists: 11 (already more than all of 2018! and 4th in the comp)

Has been playing more midfield and still averaging more goals than last year. In recent rounds he's played closer to goal, if he'd played there all year his goal tally would be even higher. For the team though it's better for him to play both middle and forward, we need extra pace and creativity up the ground.

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
He's definitely improved on last season. Much more consistent and finding a fair bit of the ball and using it better. I think he's kind of under the radar but he's flying. I do my own little spreadsheet rating each player out of 10 each game and he's averaging 7.1, ranking in the top 8 players for averages.

You've also got to remember he was up and down last year until the mid way point, he often looked like he was going to be dropped but then had a great game. When we adjusted to starting him at full forward he really came into his own.

What impresses me the most is he's got the head of a veteran player. He doesn't even need to use his speed. He is also very strong in the air, he doesn't get out marked. Have a look at him against Nathan Brown, a lot of the times the ball was kicked to him that favoured Brown a much bigger guy. He was smart enough to not engage Brown in body contact and stayed back to spoil a few times.

I think a lot of people get a bit excited by players becoming midfielders that they forget you can be a great player anywhere. Like what we thought of Heath Shaw in his first 3 or 4 years. I think he probably will move to the midfield eventually but if he becomes one of the best small forwards in the competition there's no shame in that.

Seems to be a thought that Stevo's going ok but not quite as well as last year. He's definitely improved on last season:

Disposals: +3.4
Goal Avg: +0.3
Marks: +2.9 (3rd in the comp for marks inside 50)
Goal Assists: 11 (already more than all of 2018! and 4th in the comp)

Has been playing more midfield and still averaging more goals than last year. In recent rounds he's played closer to goal, if he'd played there all year his goal tally would be even higher. For the team though it's better for him to play both middle and forward, we need extra pace and creativity up the ground.
He's timing his leads so much better and just looking so much more dangerous in the air - I expect to continue to become more and more dangerous in the air.

He's definitely improved on last season. Much more consistent and finding a fair bit of the ball and using it better. I think he's kind of under the radar but he's flying. I do my own little spreadsheet rating each player out of 10 each game and he's averaging 7.1, ranking in the top 8 players for averages.

You've also got to remember he was up and down last year until the mid way point, he often looked like he was going to be dropped but then had a great game. When we adjusted to starting him at full forward he really came into his own.

What impresses me the most is he's got the head of a veteran player. He doesn't even need to use his speed. He is also very strong in the air, he doesn't get out marked. Have a look at him against Nathan Brown, a lot of the times the ball was kicked to him that favoured Brown a much bigger guy. He was smart enough to not engage Brown in body contact and stayed back to spoil a few times.

I think a lot of people get a bit excited by players becoming midfielders that they forget you can be a great player anywhere. Like what we thought of Heath Shaw in his first 3 or 4 years. I think he probably will move to the midfield eventually but if he becomes one of the best small forwards in the competition there's no shame in that.

I think he'll become one of the best forwards, full stop, in the competition. I see him as a gun full forward in the making. His leading at the ball is already up there with anyone around. He's shown the ability to fully extend and pluck it in one grab. He's just beginning to launch at contests. I think monster grabs will come pretty soon. I think he'll become extremely dangerous in the air and he's already deadly at ground level with a fabulous defensive game. Love the way he's developing.

I think he could be developed into an elite midifelder, but I think I'd prefer him to remain a forward, just because real difference makers up forward are just so hard to find.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He really should have gone pick 1, Rayner is struggling badly

Rayner will be fine, as are Brayshaw and Cerra. It's Dow and LDU who are of concern but hard to separate their development from their team situations. We'll know in a few years.

Rayner will be fine, as are Brayshaw and Cerra. It's Dow and LDU who are of concern but hard to separate their development from their team situations. We'll know in a few years.

Agree with that. Was it considered a weak draft? LDU just looks so pedestrian to me. Dow you can see what they liked, but has very little composure yet.

Dow is doing alright ...

... if you ignore the fact he can’t kick, and that he has the bulging physique of a twig

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the discussion about that draft (2017) I think we won the lottery with Stephenson.

Our whole dynamic changed with him in our team last year.

That said the 5 above him all look to offer longer term careeers, though I’d suggest we made off like bush rangers.

It’s after Stephenson where some gems look high value, namely Naughton and Richards.

We far deeper in the draft took Nathan Murphy so he’ll be an interesting watch once he’s fully healthy again.

Apparently he’s good mates with Will Sutherland.... if he ever returns to football maybe we can pounce.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the discussion about that draft (2017) I think we won the lottery with Stephenson.

That said the 5 above him all look to offer longer term careeers, though I’d suggest we made off like bush rangers.

It’s after Stephenson where some gems look high value, namely Naughton and Richards.

We far deeper in the draft took Nathan Murphy so he’ll be an interesting watch once he’s fully healthy again.

Apparently he’s good mates with Will Sutherland.... if he ever returns to football maybe we can pounce.

One of the reasons we are going so well is that we've won three of the recent lotteries - Grundy, Degoey and Stephenson. We've got lucky that no-one else picked them and Dekka has got a great eye.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Way too early to make any calls on re-ordering the 2017 draft with the talls still to emerge. Doggies probably think they've scooped the pool with Naughton. Weagles with Ryan at 266 and Petruccelle at 38. Richmond would be happy with the returns from Higgins and Balta starting now to show some potential. Geelong with Kelly in the mid 20's pick probably needs to be in any current discussions about who should have been at 1.

Jonno94

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks like a weak draft so far. Stevo and Naughton the only 2 clear standouts.

Edit: Forgot Kelly who was mature age and is clearly number 1.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
One can be seen an opinion (correct opinion) the other is certainly a fact

You're choosing to ignore quick a few factors such as relative team performances. Raynor and Brayshaw playing for a couple of developing sides whereas Stephenson is playing in a team that got to a granny in 2018. How would they be going if they were at the Pies or the Weagles? How would Stevo have gone at Freo or the Bears?

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're choosing to ignore quick a few factors such as relative team performances. Raynor and Brayshaw playing for a couple of developing sides whereas Stephenson is playing in a team that got to a granny in 2018. How would they be going if they were at the Pies or the Weagles? How would Stevo have gone at Freo or the Bears?
Rayner is playing in a side that has one less win than Stevos. His performances this year have been worse than last year when Brisbane was much worse so that theory doesn’t hold up here. He had 3 touches in a game they won on the weekend.

Also Stevo is a big reason our forward line functions so well now so to ignore that and just say he’s playing in a better team is unfair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back