Preview Politics in Australia

What are the three key issues of the 2019 Federal Election?

• The economy

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tax

• Government Services

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Climate policy

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Animal welfare

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Environment

• Wages

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Industrial democracy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superannuation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Housing affordability

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only need 76 seats … at the moment they have 73 highly plausible that the coalition will get a majority government in the lower house.

The senate on the other hand …...
If the libs got 86 I wouldnt mind....either side with a clear mandate. Because then we see something of substantial change at least. And then voters can judge on real evidence. It has to get away from the smear and lies campaigns that have taken control and get back to being judged on what has happened in the last three years if politics is to ever get back to being worthwhile. Its going to be three more, nine years total of stagnation at least because of yesterday. And yes if they don't control the senate then its all just pointless having the lower house. Our parliament is like you or I having our shoelaces tied together.

Last edited:
If the libs got 86 I wouldnt mind....either side with a clear mandate. Because then we see something of substantial change at least. And then voters can judge on real evidence. It has to get away from the smear and lies campaigns that have taken control and get back to what has happened in the last three years if politics is to ever get back to being worthwhile. Its going to be three more, nine years total of stagnation at least because of yesterday. And yes if they don't control the senate then its all just pointless having the lower house. Our parliament is like you or I having our shoelaces tied together.

Well put my very very learned frend :)

It's the single greatest issue with talking about politics, emotion. People just have such emotional (and uneducated) opinions on things that are actually extremely complicated. I form my own opinions but listen very carefully to those who I consider to be important, impartial (not always) and experienced. Makes it far easier to judge what is happening. Made the result unsurprising too.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, even if come across as slightly arrogant (with regards to the intelligence of ALP or Greens voters)

Personally I could never vote for a scheming party that results in conniving underhanded tactics like falsely manipulating those AEC Chinese signs at polling stations yesterday.

I could never vote for a backwards thinking, morally bankrupt twit in Scott Morrison (his offshore detention centres are a blight on all Australians and who we are)

Also I wouldn't count on Frydenberg being able to balance the economy for all Aussies in an competent and fair way. As I have mentioned previously, I have had the misfortune of meeting him a few times, and he really is as thick as a tree trunk.

In short, with all due respect, I think you have way too much faith in this Liberal Government (given their track record, esp under Slow-Mo), and I think within 6 months, a lot of swinging voters who voted for them will have 'voters regret'

Anyhow no hard feelings to anyone who voted for the Liberals, I am just really disheartened and disillusioned but i can't say I was totally surprised.

At least Abbott and Anning are gone, which is of some solace and consolation.

One of the ABC commentators (might have been Andrew Probyn) said that the best case scenario for the Coalition would be that they win but Abbott doesn't. I wonder if the Coalition might be more moderate from now on instead of just being so inflammatory the whole time.
Morrison has no ghosts from the past disrupting within ie Abbott & Turnbull he really has total power within now

So this family friend of mine who works with world governments on their campaigns put this simply. The country does indeed need a strong leader, neither Shorten or ScoMo provide that, so the next best thing for the country (in her opinion) was stability. Which we achieved. It's actually a good result wrt first steps pulling the country out of the rut it's been in for 10 years
Tell me how this provides stability.

So there are no Greens other than this narrow description. No Greens in the bush? No greens in the regions? No Greens who are live in the city who are not ‘inner urban elites’?
It was a tongue in cheek reponse Robbo :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morrison has no ghosts from the past disrupting within ie Abbott & Turnbull he really has total power within now
He has the ghosts of his own deeds. Only a matter of time before it gets brought in to conversation.
And while he may have control of his side he wont have any more luck passing bills than those predecessors. But you know what he dont care about bills and hasnt any actual policies on anything so won't to the decent thing and call another election. Its all about the perks for these blokes. Feathering their own nest and hanging on to impress themselves.

Well how many people vote for them? That’s the first point. You were combining the conservative vote and I was suggesting you add the Green vote to Labor to make a fairer comparison.

understand that and I responded to you with that point in mind … the greens have won ONE lower house seat …..

Well you are entitled to your opinion, even if come across as slightly arrogant (with regards to the intelligence of ALP or Greens voters)

Personally I could never vote for a scheming party that results in conniving underhanded tactics like falsely manipulating those AEC Chinese signs at polling stations yesterday.

I could never vote for a backwards thinking, morally bankrupt twit in Scott Morrison (his offshore detention centres are a blight on all Australians and who we are)

Also I wouldn't count on Frydenberg being able to balance the economy for all Aussies in an competent and fair way. As I have mentioned previously, I have had the misfortune of meeting him a few times, and he really is as thick as a tree trunk.

In short, with all due respect, I think you have way too much faith in this Liberal Government (given their track record, esp under Slow-Mo), and I think within 6 months, a lot of swinging voters who voted for them will have 'voters regret'

Anyhow no hard feelings to anyone who voted for the Liberals, I am just really disheartened and disillusioned but i can't say I was totally surprised.

At least Abbott and Anning are gone, which is of some solace and consolation.

Bit harsh

Lowest Jobless rate since 2011
https://tradingeconomics.com/articles/03212019011128.htm

Hugely climbing GDP per capita … Massive spike since Lib/nat took the helm
https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/gdp-per-capita

Actually its a pretty bloody good economic scorecard.
https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/report

Not sure where your talk of Esp under Slomo has come from???

There is no empirical data to support your claim. Sounds like sour grapes TBH.

So there are no Greens other than this narrow description. No Greens in the bush? No greens in the regions? No Greens who are live in the city who are not ‘inner urban elites’?

I'll check the vote counts is % of population by electorate OK? As a metric?

Bit harsh
Lowest Jobless rate since 2011
https://tradingeconomics.com/articles/03212019011128.htm

Hugely climbing GDP per capita … Massive spike since Lib/nat took the helm
https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/gdp-per-capita

Actually its a pretty bloody good economic scorecard.
https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/report

Not sure where your talk of Esp under Slomo has come from???

There is no empirical data to support your claim. Sounds like sour grapes TBH.
You haven’t been involved in this thread until very late in the piece.

What do you think about climate change?

Utility prices?

Wage growth?

The standard of public services?

It’s not all about how some people are doing? For wage earners it’s been a recession for a long time.

What do you think about funding for health, schools etc?

I’m ashamed of the generation of people that I’m in the midst of who think the Government needs to support them with tax refunds when they don’t pay tax. Who have kept younger people out of the housing market because of negative gearing and capital gains tax concessions. All of this money could have been directed towards people and policy areas that should share in the wealth of this country.

From what I see this country is still at a standstill because Australians can’t make a decisive decision about who should govern the country. If they want the Tories to govern then give them a comfortable majority so we can avoid all of the s**t of the last decade.

As I’ve said don’t blame the political parties for the s**t we find ourselves in. The people of Australia are responsible for this farce. As my dear departed dad told me on many occasions. The hip pocket nerve is the most important determining factor in elections. He also told me that we always get the Government we deserve. He’s right on both counts.

You haven’t been involved in this thread until very late in the piece.

What do you think about climate change? Australia's contribution is less than 1% of global emissions. Why should we lead the way at a sacrifice to GDP (ergo standard of living)? Unless the big polluters get on board ie the G20 …. our contribution is nothing other than tokenism at best, yet again refer to the first point. Why hurt our country? Solar really isn't an option. LPG yet again another fossil fuel. Renewal of interest in the Snowy scheme essentially *s an eco system …… WHAT ARE YOUR SOLUTIONS

Utility prices? Labour initiated the public sector carve up …. not sure what you are saying?
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...just-look-at-electricity-20170621-gwvcyp.html

Wage growth? Is on PAR if not in frn tof every other OECD country.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...just-look-at-electricity-20170621-gwvcyp.html

The standard of public services? Public service is notoriously inefficient. QED no data necessary.

It’s not all about how some people are doing? For wage earners it’s been a recession for a long time. WHY?

What do you think about funding for health, schools etc? Health care has steadily gone up … its massively skewed by the NDIS which is a crock of s**t.
https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs...atures~Health care delivery and financing~235

I’m ashamed of the generation of people that I’m in the midst of who think the Government needs to support them with tax refunds when they don’t pay tax.
EXACTLY!

Who have kept younger people out of the housing market because of negative gearing and capital gains tax concessions. All of this money could have been directed towards people and policy areas that should share in the wealth of this country. If Mums and Dads STOP investing in property WHO builds the houses for population growth?? YOU? The Gubbermint?? Stupidly short term, Labour knee jerk reaction without facts. WHO BUILDS HOUSES? More so if the Mum's and Dad's that have investment properties are sold after there is NO BENIFIT to hold them …. everybody's house prices will go DOWN due to a glut in the market.

https://www.abc.net.au/7.30/what-would-happen-if-negative-gearing-was-abolished/9331238

From what I see this country is still at a standstill because Australians can’t make a decisive decision about who should govern the country. If they want the Tories to govern then give them a comfortable majority so we can avoid all of the **** of the last decade. We are not England mate.

As I’ve said don’t blame the political parties for the **** we find ourselves in. The people of Australia are responsible for this farce. As my dear departed dad told me on many occasions. The hip pocket nerve is the most important determining factor in elections. He also told me that we always get the Government we deserve. He’s right on both counts.

Ah well. A landslide against the Blues; would have preferred yesterday evening to this evening, but it is what it is. Did have a great time working as a polling official though - fantastic experience, loved it. Will definitely do it again.

I think the thing is, most people don't think about politics, at all. They don't pay attention to election campaigns at any stage, and they don't have all that much interest in policies. (I'm willing to concede the "retirees tax" is a possible exception.) I think it's quite presidential, and the thing with Morrison is that he has 'broad' appeal. Especially in Queensland, where it really matters. There are 27 seats there, and it is the one State where they are all inclined to go the same way, which makes it much more important than NSW or Victoria, where you will always get more balance, owing to the more urbanised populations. Even in 2007, I reckon one of the main reasons Rudd won was because he was a Queenslander. If he'd been himself but based in Sydney or Melbourne, he might not have gotten up, "mood for change" or not.

Queensland in 2016 gave Shorten reasonable support, but only because it loathed Turnbull. Yesterday was a return to the status quo for the Melbourne guy. A key question for Labor's leadership ballot is how the new leader will 'play' in Queensland (and, for similar reasons, in WA). And I don't think they have any good choices. Albanese for personality, but can he reach all the way across the political divide (from Labor's Left) to connect with rural Queensland? Maybe. Bowen is done; he is way too close to the current disaster. Plibersek? I'm not sure she can lift the Labor vote in the parts of the country that it is needed.

The bigger question for Labor right now is: if you can't beat the Coalition after the 12 months it has just had, how are you ever going to do it? Never again will we see an Opposition lay out a policy agenda as part of its election pitch: people's respect for your candour will never outweigh their disaffection with the parts of your manifesto they don't like. Sadly, the answer is boring, negative, small-target, attack-dog politics, like Abbott in 2013. Which is not good for the nation.

So basically you’re saying. We do nothing about increasing global temperatures because nobody else is doing anything. Hopefully we won’t be around when the s**t hits the fan.

We had a carbon tax which was pushing up prices. Removing the carbon tax was going to be the cure all. It didn’t last long.

Wage growth has been historically low for a number of years. I was a public servant for 36 years (12 years state government and then 24 years as a federal public servant). My last pay rise as a public servant was 1/7/13. I retired from work in February 2017. In that time I did not receive a pay rise because of the policy of this government. In the most important phase of my superannuation I was denied a decent pay rise and therefore retired with a accumulated amount smaller than it should have been. A hundred thousand or more people have been effected by this. In the end the Centrelink employees agreed to pay rises of 6% with no backdating provisions. Pay rises on average of 1% for a 6 year period. This isn’t an isolated example. It’s run right through the workforce. Even the government acknowledges that wage growth has been sluggish for some time. The RBA has been on about it holding the country back.

Inefficient public service is drivel. And this government intends to strip another 1.5 billion from the cost of running the public service to pay for some of its other promises. With the wheeling and dealing that it will have to do with the cross benchers expect more attacks on the ABC and SBS and more cuts to the numbers of public staff. If you don’t have people to service those that need assistance through various government departments then the most needy will be effected.

The NDIS is a crock of s**t. In what way? I would have thought assisting disabled people was a goal we should aspire to.

I’m glad we can agree on one point.

So there is no housing affordability problem? Mum and dad investors. Now that’s a crock of s**t.

Where definitely not England but I’m not sure what that has to do with the point I was making.

Australians have missed an opportunity to do something about the inequalities that exist in this country and redistribute the wealth to more than baby boomers and mum and dad investors.

Last edited:
So basically you’re saying. We do nothing about increasing global temperatures because nobody else is doing anything. Hopefully we won’t be around when the **** hits the fan.

We had a carbon tax which was pushing up prices. Removing the carbon tax was going to be the cure all. It didn’t last long.

Wage growth has been historically low for a number of years. I was a public servant for 36 years (12 years state government and then 24 years as a federal public servant). My last pay rise as a public servant was 1/7/13. I retired from work in February 2017. In that time I did not receive a pay rise because of the policy of this government. In the most important phase of my superannuation I was denied a decent pay rise and therefore retired with a accumulated amount smaller than it should have been. A hundred thousand or more people have been effected by this. In the end the Centrelink employees agreed to pay rises of 6% with no backdating provisions. Pay rises on average of 1% for a 6 year period. This isn’t an isolated example. It’s run right through the workforce. Even the government acknowledges that wage growth has been sluggish for some time. The RBA has been on about it holding the country back.
s.
I get it, you were a public servant for 36 years and was not happy that you were denied a decent payrise. Why did you expect a decent payrise? how did you contribute to cost savings or revenue improvements? Every payrise I have ever had in private sector was due to defined work performance. It's exactly the problem with you people, wallowing in your victim mentality and putting your hands out for freebies

I get it, you were a public servant for 36 years and was not happy that you were denied a decent payrise. Why did you expect a decent payrise? how did you contribute to cost savings or revenue improvements? Every payrise I have ever had in private sector was due to defined work performance. It's exactly the problem with you people, wallowing in your victim mentality and putting your hands out for freebies
As opposed to someone like yourself who feels free commenting on a situation of which you know nothing about?

What's the problem with people like you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back