Preview Politics in Australia

What are the three key issues of the 2019 Federal Election?

• The economy

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tax

• Government Services

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Climate policy

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Animal welfare

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Environment

• Wages

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Industrial democracy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superannuation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Housing affordability

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As opposed to someone like yourself who feels free commenting on a situation of which you know nothing about?

What's the problem with people like you?

I know enough to know the biggest problem in our society is the rapid development of the victimhood culture and political correctness. Thank god Shorten did not get in as he sees himself as there champion. He is really a dirty little private school grub trying to get votes. Real Australians saw through his bullshit. RIP Shorten and his brainless followers

I know enough to know the biggest problem in our society is the rapid development of the victimhood culture and political correctness. Thank god Shorten did not get in as he sees himself as there champion. He is really a dirty little private school grub trying to get votes. Real Australians saw through his ********. RIP Shorten and his brainless followers
Political correctness is the biggest problem?

Not the homelessness in our streets?
Or the increasing violence in our suburbs?
Or the continuing high level of sexual assault of women?
Or the sickening poverty of indigenous Australians?
Or the 100s of other issues I can't be bothered mentioning.

Political correctness FFS

Political correctness is the biggest problem?

Not the homelessness in our streets?
Or the increasing violence in our suburbs?
Or the continuing high level of sexual assault of women?
Or the sickening poverty of indigenous Australians?
Or the 100s of other issues I can't be bothered mentioning.

Political correctness FFS

Compare the homelessness on our streets to less developed countries, or the correlation of house price increases to immigration.

The increased violence does not relate to our ayslum seeking policy lol

feminist cancer groups and left wing politicians are notorious of overstating violence against woman statistics as a major problem in our society. they do not mention the increase in male suicide as a result of men getting bent over by our biased family court system

Compare the homelessness on our streets to less developed countries, or the correlation of house price increases to immigration.

The increased violence does not relate to our ayslum seeking policy lol

feminist cancer groups and left wing politicians are notorious of overstating violence against woman statistics as a major problem in our society. they do not mention the increase in male suicide as a result of men getting bent over by our biased family court system
You don't even know what political correctness is, do you?

You don't even know what political correctness is, do you?

Yes it is the fear of stating actual facts as to not offend people. It is a cancer in every level of our society that has created a victimhood culture. This benefits minority groups and those whose careers are built around fostering this culture. Unfortunately now it has extended to journalism and senior management in every corporation.

I get it, you were a public servant for 36 years and was not happy that you were denied a decent payrise. Why did you expect a decent payrise? how did you contribute to cost savings or revenue improvements? Every payrise I have ever had in private sector was due to defined work performance. It's exactly the problem with you people, wallowing in your victim mentality and putting your hands out for freebies
Do you want to apologise for the comment? You don’t know me from a bar of soap and you make presumptions about me. You categorise me with terms that I find offensive. This is a discussion thread not a personal abuse thread.

I’d like to continue this thread by transitioning it from an election thread to a general thread about political discourse. There is no need to limit the discussion to federal politics. We can talk about state politics if that’s your wish. It doesn’t have to be serious. My god some of us need a laugh after recent events.

RiteBak@Ya

I’ve given you 48 hours to withdraw your comment or at least make a conciliatory comment given the fact that your original comment offended me due to it’s presumptions about the type of person I am.

Before I address the personal nature of your comments I will explain to you in detail why you shouldn’t comment when you have no clue about the circumstances.

The Australia Public Service is not monolithic. The Government doesn’t deal with its workforce when discussing pay and conditions. Each department enters into an EBA with its workforce. So the ATO has its own EBA, Centrelink, Defence and the many other entities as well. So we don’t discuss pay and conditions as individuals. The main unions representing workers (both members and non-members) bargain on our behalf with our employer. Once agreement in principle is reached a vote is held and, presuming the agreement is satisfactory, it is ratified by Fair Work Australia.

Public Servants work with less and less funding due to the quaintly named ‘Efficiency Dividend’. It’s a cut to the operating budget on an annual basis and can be a percentage amount of 1% or more. Both sides of the political fence have used this blunt tool to cut costs for two decades. In reality this has meant significant job losses. Some have been made redundant, others retire and many find other places to work. Employees are not replaced and services suffer. It’s been a familiar tale since September 2013.

While the Government is not directly involved it sets the ground rules for negotiation which is called a ‘Bargaining Framework’. These are the dos and don’ts of what is acceptable and determine the relationship between the employer and its employees. The Abbott Government represented by its minister Eric Abetz determined that the negotiations would result in bad blood between the parties. They wanted to strip entitlements with no guarantee of a pay rise in return. It was a deliberate tactic to antagonise and provided a signal to employers Australia wide. It’s the reason why we have wage growth at the lowest levels in 25 years and why the RBA s advocating wage rises to lift the performance of the economy.

On three occasions Centrelink Management put up substandard agreements for a vote. On three occasions they was rejected. It was the same story across the public service. The Government used the blunt instrument of no backdating of pay rises to try and bully its way to success. It didn’t sway the argument until after I retired in February 2017.

So now your personal commentary that I find offensive.

‘It's exactly the problem with you people, wallowing in your victim mentality and putting your hands out for freebies.’

Read that sentence aloud and try to understand why it would offend.

It would be like me saying that you are a tosser with anger management issues. I don’t know you so this would completely wrong.

The generic ‘you people’ is offensive. I have an ethnic background and, not surprisingly, I have heard this accusation before in reference to me and my family. It is hurtful on a level you cannot understand because you don’t know me.

‘Wallowing in your victim mentality’. I suffered a monetary loss as a result of what happened. I’m certain that you would be upset in similar circumstances.

‘Putting your hand out for freebies’. What have I got for free? It’s a stupid statement and should be withdrawn.

Last edited:
Robbo, you have choices in life! If I offer you a choice between a chocolate and strawberry ice-cream, which do you take? Your political views seem partly triggered by the fact that you did not receive the payrise that you believed you deserved in the public sector. There is some bitterness in this. You had a choice to accept the situation or take another path.

I do not see this as a personal attack! i don't actually know you as a person, nor do you know me. It is also your choice do be offended or not offended by what I say!

Good thread.

I feel that although I hoped for a Labor win it's not so bad. Why Labor you might ask. Well thats because I believe in the principles of social justice and fairness and the Coalition certainly do not.
In a day to day personal sense it doesnt make much difference who gets the nod. But for a vast amount of people it will make a difference and thats the tragedy.
But why is it not so bad?
Truth is Labor led the policy debate the last 3 years and more or less made all the substantial decisions.
And I expect they will do so again.

Already the proposed tax cuts of bribery are in cloudy space.
Of course because they can't afford it and expected to lose so it was designed to minimise the fallout and they never expected to have to honour it.
Futhermore they knew that it can't pass the senate anyway so it was doubly empty rhetoric.
Just wait for voter regret to kick in.

Last edited:
Well as they say one door closes...

I like your logic Blue and Blue We’ll have to wait and see if the Government will be caught out as a result of an unexpected win.

The Parliament should be easier to navigate as the Government will control the lower house and deal with a smaller crossbench in the upper house. Imagine what would have happened in the previous two Parliaments if this was the case. We would have had the horror of the 2014 budget passed in all its glory. We would have unlimited company tax cuts with the benefit of trickle down economics for the rest of us. Recent history tells us that the Tories do not handle this circumstance with aplomb and see it as an opportunity to smack around the workers of this country. For example, in 2004 Howard had control of both houses and gave us Work Choices. That worked out well.

So my fear now is that we have a Government which has been inept for two terms and now the populace believes by giving them more power it will cure its ineptness. It’s unlikely in my opinion as the same buffoons are in charge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well as they say one door closes...

I like your logic Blue and Blue We’ll have to wait and see if the Government will be caught out as a result of an unexpected win.

The Parliament should be easier to navigate as the Government will control the lower house and deal with a smaller crossbench in the upper house. Imagine what would have happened in the previous two Parliaments if this was the case. We would have had the horror of the 2014 budget passed in all its glory. We would have unlimited company tax cuts with the benefit of trickle down economics for the rest of us. Recent history tells us that the Tories do not handle this circumstance with aplomb and see it as an opportunity to smack around the workers of this country. For example, in 2004 Howard had control of both houses and gave us Work Choices. That worked out well.

So my fear now is that we have a Government which has been inept for two terms and now the populace believes by giving them more power it will cure its ineptness. It’s unlikely in my opinion as the same buffoons are in charge.
Or maybe just maybe they chose the least offensive to them.
Australian's are no longer battlers mate, we can all thank the Left for the 70's and wage rises.
We buy 600 k + homes drive 2 cars send kids to whatever school we choose and go on annual holidays with 4 weeks off.

Flip Side 10 % of the population has 0 job prospects from Birth in this enlightened age due to low IQ's and there being no long term jobs for them.

Neither party managed to engage our young Adults, every single one I asked donkey Voted, more than 10 at this stage.
They did not engage because they felt the parties did not really care they were just words without meaning.
Politicians left and right need to regain that trust.

Or maybe just maybe they chose the least offensive to them.
Australian's are no longer battlers mate, we can all thank the Left for the 70's and wage rises.
We buy 600 k + homes drive 2 cars send kids to whatever school we choose and go on annual holidays with 4 weeks off.

Flip Side 10 % of the population has 0 job prospects from Birth in this enlightened age due to low IQ's and there being no long term jobs for them.

Neither party managed to engage our young Adults, every single one I asked donkey Voted, more than 10 at this stage.
They did not engage because they felt the parties did not really care they were just words without meaning.
Politicians left and right need to regain that trust.
You know nothing about football and you know nothing about politics. Why do you bother?

Labor's problem is it's a party of two groups of people.

When you have a left and a right within a political party it means you'll always have some issues with what message do you want to push as your parties defining characteristics.

It's caused splits in the Labor party on many occasions previously.

What it shows though is that Labor's base voters unlike the Greens and Liberals are positioned in a way that if they go too left they potentially lose some of their more conservative voters to other parties. Go to right and they lose them to parties like the Greens.

The fact that there were CFMEU people in Queensland throwing in with the Liberals says a lot of what went wrong.

That all makes it very hard to be a party that can appease all of its voting base.

Labor's problem is it's a party of two groups of people.

When you have a left and a right within a political party it means you'll always have some issues with what message do you want to push as your parties defining characteristics.

It's caused splits in the Labor party on many occasions previously.

What it shows though is that Labor's base voters unlike the Greens and Liberals are positioned in a way that if they go too left they potentially lose some of their more conservative voters to other parties. Go to right and they lose them to parties like the Greens.

The fact that there were CFMEU people in Queensland throwing in with the Liberals says a lot of what went wrong.

That all makes it very hard to be a party that can appease all of its voting base.
The truth is you could apply your sentiment to any of the major political parties. The right of the Liberal Party is in the ascendency now. I wonder how far it will try and push Australia to the right over the next three years. It’s only been prevented from doing this by the competing interests in the Parliament under Abbott and Turnbull. This time around it controls the lower house with a comfortable majority and has a smaller crossbench to deal with in the Senate. For me I think bad times lay ahead over the term of this Parliament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back