Review Round 9, 2019 vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been consistent in saying I’m not going to judge this side until those players are fit and available.

Broadbent is playing a completely different role to Garner.

Hartlett = Broadbent
Garner = Byrne-Jones
Burton = Bonner
Watts = Lienert

Im thinking after the last 2 weeks Bonner=Byrne-Jones
Burton=Garner
Byrne-Jones Big numbers on the weekend 10 Inside 50's, 734 metres gained.
Really liked Garners game but not sure he is a high half back.

Im thinking after the last 2 weeks Bonner=Byrne-Jones
Burton=Garner
Byrne-Jones Big numbers on the weekend 10 Inside 50's, 734 metres gained.
Really liked Garners game but not sure he is a high half back.

Garner was a midfielder before he became a defender.

If there’s anyone who can do Byrne-Jones’ role but better, it’s him.

Bit harsh, DBJ 5 Coaches votes on Sunday
He could be eventually, but lets let him learn how to defend first, Sometimes I think that is Bonners problem, in that he was selected for his run and when he has to defend he is all at sea because he never had the grounding in that department.

Not sure if already posted...

The match day report laid against Port Adelaide’s Tom Rockliff for contact on Gold Coast SUNS’ Anthony Miles from the second quarter of Sunday’s match was assessed. Miles takes possession of the football and looks to evade Rockliff. Rockliff moves his left foot to intercept the player. Miles is consequently tripped. It was the view of the MRO there was insufficient force to constitute a reportable offence. No further was taken.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-18/match-review-statement-round-nine

Would've thought you'd have loved DBJ's game on the weekend given that you're always going on about our defenders helping on the rebound and pushing up to attack. 25 touches and a league leading 10 inside 50's. Exactly what you've been asking of him.

Not sure if already posted...

The match day report laid against Port Adelaide’s Tom Rockliff for contact on Gold Coast SUNS’ Anthony Miles from the second quarter of Sunday’s match was assessed. Miles takes possession of the football and looks to evade Rockliff. Rockliff moves his left foot to intercept the player. Miles is consequently tripped. It was the view of the MRO there was insufficient force to constitute a reportable offence. No further was taken.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-18/match-review-statement-round-nine
Yeh that number 30 curley haired green maggot has always been a Muppet. There wasn't even any contact

Bit harsh, DBJ 5 Coaches votes on Sunday
He could be eventually, but lets let him learn how to defend first, Sometimes I think that is Bonners problem, in that he was selected for his run and when he has to defend he is all at sea because he never had the grounding in that department.

It’s why I’d be giving Garner the weeks before Burton gets back to show he’s got what it takes.

If both Garner and Byrne-Jones are doing well, then replace Broadbent with Burton.

Would've thought you'd have loved DBJ's game on the weekend given that you're always going on about our defenders helping on the rebound and pushing up to attack. 25 touches and a league leading 10 inside 50's. Exactly what you've been asking of him.

I liked the fact that he was pushing forward. But he still needs to get back and help too.

It was an 8/10 performance. If he defended like Garner did it would have been a 10/10 and he would have gotten 10 votes from the coaches.

I honestly thought we were playing DBJ as a half forward in the second half. Was he just pushing that far up from half back?

Whatever it was it was working.

It’s why I’d be giving Garner the weeks before Burton gets back to show he’s got what it takes.

If both Garner and Byrne-Jones are doing well, then replace Broadbent with Burton.

I liked the fact that he was pushing forward. But he still needs to get back and help too.

It was an 8/10 performance. If he defended like Garner did it would have been a 10/10 and he would have gotten 10 votes from the coaches.

Interested to know your views on who is TJ replacing this week?

Didn’t Chris Grant miss out on a Brownlow cos of an attempted trip?

He hit someone (Nick Holland?) in the face with a clumsy late spoil, which was ticked off as okay until Ian Collins specifically intervened and had him canned.

Corey McKernan missed out on the Rising Star and then a Brownlow for tripping in 1994 and 1996.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interested to know your views on who is TJ replacing this week?

Honestly? I wouldn't play him against Hawthorn at all.

Jonas is the type you play against a power forward like Kennedy or in finals, and he's not really the type that needs to find form or anything. People say Broadbent is slow, well, so is Jonas, and he's doesn't have the accurate kick that Broady has.

Hawthorn plays a whole bunch of agile, general forward types. This is will be the game where you can really see who is playing well and who isn't of the general defenders. Clurey and Howard is enough key position players to defend against them.

People say 'Why don't we exploit teams more?', well that's how I'd do it. Jonas can come in for St Kilda the following week.

Jonas is the type you play against a power forward like Kennedy or in finals, and he's not really the type that needs to find form or anything. People say Broadbent is slow, well, so is Jonas, and he's doesn't have the accurate kick that Broady has.
I'm sorry, the what now?

Disposal Efficiency 2019
Jonas vs Demons 93.8%
Jonas vs Carlton 76.5%
Jonas vs Brisbane 80%
Jonas vs Richmond 73.7%
Jonas vs West Coast 69.2%

Broadbent vs Crows 68.2%
Broadbent vs Suns 63.6%

Carn Portia you know DE has little to do with kicking accuracy. Broadbent is a vastly superior kick than Jonas, even if Jonas is perhaps the better decision maker.

I agree that Broadbent probably goes out for Jonas or perhaps for Hartlett/Burton but I still think he has been a worthy inclusion to our side.

Going to be a fascinating next 5 games.

We're in 8th and we play 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th, in that time. As well as the 1st placed Cats

Talk about a season defining patch. Want to play finals, we need to be walking out of that patch with 3-2 at absolute worst.

I can only dream of beating Geelong at home, it would be orgasmic if we got the run of the umps too.

Ohhh back to reality

I agree that Broadbent probably goes out for Jonas or perhaps for Hartlett/Burton but I still think he has been a worthy inclusion to our side.

Where is Hartlett up to farken? Is he close or what we need some of those all black boots styles back in the side.

Honestly? I wouldn't play him against Hawthorn at all.

Hawthorn plays a whole bunch of agile, general forward types. This is will be the game where you can really see who is playing well and who isn't of the general defenders. Clurey and Howard is enough key position players to defend against them.

People say 'Why don't we exploit teams more?', well that's how I'd do it. Jonas can come in for St Kilda the following week.
Agile forwards... Broadbent best to defend them??

Agile forwards... Broadbent best to defend them??

Better than Jonas.

Imagine Jonas being on Jack Martin in a race for the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back