Preview Round 10, 2019: St.Kilda v Carlton - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 26th May, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 75 91.5%
  • Blues

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Sainters, I come in peace.

The last few times we have played, the Saints have absolutely destroyed Carlton. Pure speed, outside run, overlap, and quick delivery I50, with guys like Membrey, Bruce and Savage taking full advantage.

You've had a good start to the season, although I haven't watched much of your matches. What's the gameplan for you guys this year? What's changed? What's working? What isn't? I could list the same for us, but it's a bit lopsided....

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards, Curious in Carlton...

Kumbayah my Lord
Kumbayahhhhhhhhhhhh

Newnes spent a significant amount of time in the forward line on the weekend, much more than he has for the rest of the year.
His worst 2 games for the year have been the last two and coincided with Phillips coming in and taking up time on the wing.
Phillips has been okay but I’d prefer what we got from Newnes on a wing from Rounds 1-6 personally. I know we bang on about flexibility etc. but clearly Newnes is at his best (which is quite useful) when given a wing all day. Be interested to see if the coaches see it the same way BrutThough

Adding to that...

The thought of Long, Parker and Young at the fall of the ball gets me exited... could be absolute mayhem for defenders..

Campaigner factor off the charts

15 possies between them though is the likely outcome.

No amount of pressure acts, screamers, tackles etc can make up for half your fwd line touching the ball 15 times in 2 hours.

I would like to see Marshall in a forward pocket playing Kosi's role and being relieve ruckman. Battle at full forward, Bruce at CHFd. Membery on a HFF. The other two fwd spots taken by Parker and Gresham who also gets to have a run on the ball frequently.
Longer after his BOG performance at the weekend, and Clark return to the team.

Phillips has been okay but I’d prefer what we got from Newnes on a wing from Rounds 1-6 personally. I know we bang on about flexibility etc. but clearly Newnes is at his best (which is quite useful) when given a wing all day. Be interested to see if the coaches see it the same way BrutThough
Phillips was playing well until that big knock so I wouldn't be against giving him another chance. But his lack of another position means that Newnes and Sinclair especially have to be moved to accommodate him because Billings has a mortgage on the other wing.

But I agree Newnes is at his best on the wing but it's the one spot we have depth in so we cant play him there all day. I'd rather we play him in the backline than up forward, but half back is the only other place we have depth which makes it difficult.

It's not hunger for Carlton, it's the eyes of the world scrutinising every effort. This for us is pretty much like the North game last year for us. Win and we should have won so no one cares, lose this though and all hell will break loose. I hope we turn up expecting them to hit us hard and not go in after all our hard games expecting to get an easy kill finally. There are no easy games any more.
There is no chance the team goes into this match thinking they have an easy win here. Everyone has seen Carlton can push good teams when playing well. This combined with our strong desire to win after 3 loseses ourselves pretty much guarantees the team will come out firing. We desperately need this win too.

Some say if Long plays (which he will) it will be a gift. But fact is, when he's playing well he can have big impact in the fwd half. Considering this week is indigenous round, you would were going to get the best version of him and that will help us win. But he really needs to do those high impact defensive plays to stay in the side.

Some say if Long plays (which he will) it will be a gift. But fact is, when he's playing well he can have big impact in the fwd half. Considering this week is indigenous round, you would were going to get the best version of him and that will help us win. But he really needs to do those high impact defensive plays to stay in the side.
Who from our forward line would you omit for him this week?
Kent has been good recently. Young did nothing wrong on debut so it would be harsh to drop him after one game.
It would have to be Parker since he hasn't been quiet for a few games but 5 tackles with 3 inside 50 might save him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kent has been good recently. Young did nothing wrong on debut so it would be harsh to drop him after one game.
It would have to be Parker since he hasn't been quiet for a few games but 5 tackles with 3 inside 50 might save him.
That's a tough one. You'd have to go Kent if they want to take out a fwd. Possibly Marsh if not a fwd but they just brought him back in. They probably dont want to do that. Paton possibly? But hes been ok.
I get what your saying these guys have been ok without being great. Maybe ok, isn't enough anymore.
Acres really needs to be doing more. 25 a game.

You are correct Brut , we have enough small forwards , so it comes down to form and it's good we have depth now.

What I'm interested in , is how much longer until Hannebery starts playing and when he does who goes out.
and saying that if King kicks more goals next week I wouldn't be surprised if he gets selected soon and once he comes into the side another one of the small forwards go out , because by then we will have Gresham , Long , Parker , Kent , Lonie , Young and at best you could play 3 of them.

The 2nd half of the season is going to be interesting if we get Geary , Lonie , Steven , Hannebery , Carlisle back.

Geary - Marsh - Webster
Wilkie - Carlisle - Battle
Billings - Hannebery - Newnes
Kent - Bruce - Lonie
Gresham - Membery - King

Marshall - Ross - Steven

Steele - Dunstan - McKenzie - Hunter Clark

As you can see there is going to be a lot of heat put on a few of the players to lift there game
Long
Acres
Parker
Young
Phillips
Paton
White
Sinclair
Coffield
Joyce
Hind

You are correct Brut , we have enough small forwards , so it comes down to form and it's good we have depth now.

What I'm interested in , is how much longer until Hannebery starts playing and when he does who goes out.
and saying that if King kicks more goals next week I wouldn't be surprised if he gets selected soon and once he comes into the side another one of the small forwards go out , because by then we will have Gresham , Long , Parker , Kent , Lonie , Young and at best you could play 3 of them.

The 2nd half of the season is going to be interesting if we get Geary , Lonie , Steven , Hannebery , Carlisle back.

Geary - Marsh - Webster
Wilkie - Carlisle - Battle
Billings - Hannebery - Newnes
Kent - Bruce - Lonie
Gresham - Membery - King

Marshall - Ross - Steven

Steele - Dunstan - McKenzie - Hunter Clark

As you can see there is going to be a lot of heat put on a few of the players to lift there game
Long
Acres
Parker
Young
Phillips
Paton
White
Sinclair
Coffield
Joyce
Hind
Pretty good best 22.

The obvious change I would make is Savage in. He has been one of our best this year and is so important for our drive off half back. I'd have him in for either Marsh or Wilkie because that defence feels too tall. And then only one of Dunstan and Clark, with another small forward in so Parker or Long.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how we look with our better Senior players back in. While the start of the season has been a bit if a slog in terms of getting these injuries, it will help us have actual depth for the first time years.

Pretty good best 22.

The obvious change I would make is Savage in. He has been one of our best this year and is so important for our drive off half back. I'd have him in for either Marsh or Wilkie because that defence feels too tall. And then only one of Dunstan and Clark, with another small forward in so Parker or Long.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how we look with our better Senior players back in. While the start of the season has been a bit if a slog in terms of getting these injuries, it will help us have actual depth for the first time years.
Thought I forgot someone - cheers

I want to bring up a couple players who have not really been talked about

Marshall played on the best ruck going around , was beaten but he had a good go 16 possessions and 11 contested - imagine if we had Longer , he might of won a some hit outs but would of been murdered around the ground.

Billings his 2nd quarter was sublime , he had at one stage in the quarter 14 possessions at 100% efficiency and if not for us kicking 7 points in the quarter and 2 complete shanks that totally missed everything we could of be up at that point by at least 4 or 5 goals.
He picked 29 possessions for the game and was in our best 3 on the ground.
They where raving about Sidebottoms 1st quarter with 12 touches , well Billings had a better 2nd quarter and remember our mids were playing a nullifying role or attempting too.
Also playing on a wing your at the mercy of your team being able to win possession and when they don't it makes it awfully hard for a wingman.

we are getting there

The last few times we have played, the Saints have absolutely destroyed Carlton. Pure speed, outside run, overlap, and quick delivery I50, with guys like Membrey, Bruce and Savage taking full advantage.

You've had a good start to the season, although I haven't watched much of your matches. What's the gameplan for you guys this year? What's changed? What's working? What isn't? I could list the same for us, but it's a bit lopsided....

Bombing it into our forward line. That's non existent.

Pretty good best 22.

Savage would be up there in our Best and Fairest , at this stage. Long needs to do more.

Perhaps I can have a crack ferrisb,

Although we desperately needed class mid-fielders, the Saints recruited some injured kids and Hanneburry plus a bunch of mature age guys who look like prison escapees. For the most part, they're hard, fast, ugly and they just love tackling.

A large portion of our best 22 are very long term injured, including most of the back line. As a result our mature age misfits comprise a large portion of the team. We desperately lack skill, and there's not much of a game plan but the team is aggressive, hard and fast and they apply massive tackling pressure.

Whilst I'm definitely no fan of your Murphy, I can't believe that thug Mumford is allowed to get away with assault. Your mob must be pissed off. As for Daisey's opinion of umpires, well there are many Saints fans who agree that the AFL's most valuable franchises are generally advantaged.

Although we desperately needed class mid-fielders, the Saints recruited some injured kids and Hanneburry plus a bunch of mature age guys who look like prison escapees. For the most part, they're hard, fast, ugly and they just love tackling.

A large portion of our best 22 are very long term injured, including most of the back line. As a result our mature age misfits comprise a large portion of the team. We desperately lack skill, and there's not much of a game plan but the team is aggressive, hard and fast and they apply massive tackling pressure.

Whilst I'm definitely no fan of your Murphy, I can't believe that thug Mumford is allowed to get away with assault. Your mob must be pissed off. As for Daisey's opinion of umpires, well there are many Saints fans who agree that the AFL's most valuable franchises are generally advantaged.
Hit the nail on the head. Our tackling pressure is the best i have seen in seven years. If we didn’t have such rotten luck with injuries I feel we would be in the eight. As it stands we are a game and percentage out. Something is working.

We can not afford to drop this game. Taking this game and indeed our opposition seriously is of paramount importance, I cannot stress that enough.

Good assessment but in all honesty we would probably have said something nasty to Murphy and put him off his game. He's in a safer place.

Good assessment but in all honesty we would probably have said something nasty to Murphy and put him off his game. He's in a safer place.
Carlisle not playing so no chance of us upsetting Murph or is it his wife who is upset with us. Anyways

Can expect the Blues to bounce back against poor showing against GWS. The blowtorch is on them.

Keep our heads play the same tough football that we have done last 4 weeks and they will wilt. Win by 10 goals chance for us to be back in eight. We must break 100 points this week.

Saints 17 11 113 to Carl 8 8 56
Has a nice ring to it
So does the headline Carlton sack Brendan Bolton after listless showing against uncompromising Saints.

In Clarke and White for Parker managed and Philips omitted.

Go Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back