Jell

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2007
Bacchus Marsh
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Like I'm not gonna lie, I think Petrevski-Seton is going to be a very good player. If O'Meara nominated us I have little dout we would have traded 1 for O'Meara and 4, bid on Setterfield and hopefully then taking him. I'm an unabashed fan. But to say McGrath is tracking to be an average player is plainly incorrect. He wasn't fantastic today but he'd be comfortably in our top 10 for our BnF right now.

I get a bit of a Bryce Gibbs vibe about McGrath. Bryce was consistently in our top 10 in the b+f, in fact I think there was only one year in him time at Carlton where he wasn't in there. He was a good consistent player, but didn't end up being best in his draft, and was never the A++ you want from a #1 pick. I think any team would be happy to have McGrath on their list, but I think he's going to be very good rather than exceptional.

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Being played out of position doesn't help. They've lost Hannebery, Jack is well and truly cooked, Kennedy slowing too. He should be straight in the middle, not floating around as a half back.

There's probably a reason for that...maybe Mills isn't even that good as a midfielder.

He's definitely not in the top 10 of this draft at this stage...doesn't really stand out as a star, only a solid role player so far.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Brayden Fiorini has been ultra consistent and putting up big numbers this year to date. Would sincerely think he'd be in the top 3 midfielders from this draft so far.
Finds the ball a lot. Seems a natural at it.

Judging the mids solely, Oliver is a clear number 1 with Fiorini, Hopper & Gresh battling for the next few spots.

Dons would hope Parish can cement a spot and hit a patch of form that puts him in that calculation too. Surprised we never bid on Hopper @ 4 to foroce the issue with GWS and gamble them not matching. Had two picks in hand to play with.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Schache and Keays big whiffs, thank god for Hipwood. While he is still inconsistent when he is on he is a match winner.

Iirc there was a lot of hype around Keays in his draft year. Was this misplaced?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Iirc there was a lot of hype around Keays in his draft year. Was this misplaced?

I don't know that it was misplaced per se, he just hasn't come on. He was a high volume possession winner in juniors from memory and hasn't really show that when he has played senior football.

He's playing well in a small forward role in our NEAFL team (equal leader in the NEAFL MVP) but can't get ahead of Charlie Cameron, Linc McCarthy or Rayner atm. I suspect he'll be delisted at the end of the year.

Worth remembering that with the bidding rules that year he and Hipwood only cost a couple of picks in the 40s, so him not working out as a second round pick isn't as bad as it looks.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if true but someone mentioned that for the first time all five carlton 2015 draftees;
Weitering
H. Mckay
C. Curnow
Cuningham
J. Silvagni
Are all playing in the same team today. Wouldn't happen too many times you would think.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure if true but someone mentioned that for the first time all five carlton 2015 draftees;
Weitering
H. Mckay
C. Curnow
Cuningham
J. Silvagni
Are all playing in the same team today. Wouldn't happen too many times you would think.

Not as good of a strike rate as Carlton but Essendon had the 5 of Francis, Parish ,Redman, Brown and Tippa play against North.

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Golden Knights
Ah so no one wants to talk about Curnow struggling to get a kick and struggling even harder to get a goal. Meanwhile Hipwood is starting to clunk contested marks and keeps on ticking over at nearly two goals a game despite being wildly inaccurate. Really should have half a dozen more goals over the season.

No takers?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ah so no one wants to talk about Curnow struggling to get a kick and struggling even harder to get a goal. Meanwhile Hipwood is starting to clunk contested marks and keeps on ticking over at nearly two goals a game despite being wildly inaccurate. Really should have half a dozen more goals over the season.

No takers?
You already bumped the post yesterday jerking over Hipwood, was that not enough?

Here, I've responded, is that enough?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers

No takers?
I'm all for calling out a bit of Carlton delusion but to be fair I think most followers of the AFL would've rated Curnow over Hipwood at the start of this year.

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
You already bumped the post yesterday jerking over Hipwood, was that not enough?

Here, I've responded, is that enough?

It wasnt enough no because I'm still baffled where everyone went, friend. There were heaps of them just a few months ago saying these things and now they've just disappeared.

Maybe they forgot their passwords?

I'm all for calling out a bit of Carlton delusion but to be fair I think most followers of the AFL would've rated Curnow over Hipwood at the start of this year.

Yeah which is fine. I'm not talking about them though, I'm talking about those saying he was significantly better. There were a few of them up and about in here too let me tell ya.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
It wasnt enough no because I'm still baffled where everyone went, friend. There were heaps of them just a few months ago saying these things and now they've just disappeared.

Yeah which is fine. I'm not talking about them though, I'm talking about those saying he was significantly better. There were a few of them up and about in here too let me tell ya.
Charlie through injury and form hasn't had a great start to the year but not sure this debate is done and dusted.

Their stats are simlar but Hipwood has kicked a lot more goals - which end of the day 1 is playing in a top 4 team and 1 is playing in the worst team in the comp.

I know which midfield I would like kicking the ball to me. Just give it more time before claiming the victory.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I mean, rewind to last year and Curnow really was clearly better. Without the benefit of hindsight, I'm sure 95% of people would have said Curnow > Hipwood. Based on this year's output, Hipwood is clearly the better player, but it wasn't so apparent last year

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

No takers?
While CC hasn't had a good year, the reality is that Hipwood is getting less of the ball this year compared to last despite being in a much better side. Not sure I would gloating at this stage. Has shown no real improvement.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
While CC hasn't had a good year, the reality is that Hipwood is getting less of the ball this year compared to last despite being in a much better side. Not sure I would gloating at this stage. Has shown no real improvement.
he's a key forward who's improved in goals and behinds per game every season he's played. I don't think they need to worry about a 0.7 disposal per game drop

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

What a random stat to cherry pick lol.

Hippy's kicked 16.16 - an average of just under 4 shots per game. He's showing quite a bit of improvement in every aspect bar goalkicking where he is missing every easy shot and kicking all the hard ones. It's quite annoying for his sake actually as he's kicked 4.9 the last two weeks and I think the 4 he has kicked would have been the 4 hardest of all those shots.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What a random stat to cherry pick lol.

Hippy's kicked 16.16 - an average of just under 4 shots per game. He's showing quite a bit of improvement in every aspect bar goalkicking where he is missing every easy shot and kicking all the hard ones. It's quite annoying for his sake actually as he's kicked 4.9 the last two weeks and I think the 4 he has kicked would have been the 4 hardest of all those shots.
Stats 18 v 19
Possessions -0.7
Goal +0.1
Points +0.6
Marks -0.1
GA-0.3
I50s -0.3

Factor in the improved performance of the team and that is minimal, if any improvement from last year. Missing more shots at goal this year,especially easy ones is not improvement.

One of the few bright lights this season for Carlton is McKay who has gone past both Hipwood and Curnow.:)

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
2019 Hipwood feels like 2016 Daniher honestly.

A very good comparison I think - I expect Hippy will end up at around the 40 goal mark similar to Daniher in 2016. Of course Daniher did that in a much much weaker team due to the suspensions so thats probably a bit more impressive.

Anyway, I don't see much utility in the Curnow v Hipwood discussion beyond acknowledging that Curnow is not as great as last year's hype but obviously this year's form is not reflective of his quality/potential either. I see them as pretty comparable players in output but with different styles of play.

The argument from blues fans that Hippy hasn't shown much improvement this year because his disposal numbers are down by 1 is a bit of a strange one though lol.

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

"My guy has regressed but at least he hasn't continued playing good footy"

Yeah quality response there mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back