Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Well, the Pats recently signing Jared Veldheer (OL) and Ben Watson (TE) fills two of the offseason moves I wanted to see. One more DL and if possible, one more LB and the roster looks pretty darn good. That said, perhaps DL can be filled by draftee Byron Cowart and LB Shilique Calhoun (FA signing) or Christian Sam. Naturally, it all depends on the salary cap but as 90 man rosters go, I'm very pleased.
I’m tipping the move will be Hightower putting his hands in the dirt and us relying on Bentley and KVN as LBs. It was already trending in that direction before Bentley went down injured

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
I’m tipping the move will be Hightower putting his hands in the dirt and us relying on Bentley and KVN as LBs. It was already trending in that direction before Bentley went down injured
I'm all in on Hightower reprising McGinest's Elephant's position.

Last edited:
Well, the Pats recently signing Jared Veldheer (OL) and Ben Watson (TE) fills two of the offseason moves I wanted to see. One more DL and if possible, one more LB and the roster looks pretty darn good. That said, perhaps DL can be filled by draftee Byron Cowart and LB Shilique Calhoun (FA signing) or Christian Sam. Naturally, it all depends on the salary cap but as 90 man rosters go, I'm very pleased.

Likewise very happy with the list build.

Very much liked the Watson signing, I suspect thats been long in the planning , just needed the compensatory picks sorted out , then they could act.

Noticed that we have bought a few taller rookie WR's in for a look see.......... TB12 will have some new toys this season, as the ever evolving Patriots O gets a new tweak.

BB said after the Super Bowl that our roster would be a lot more agile and quicker this season and thus far its trended that way.
I cant help but think, that the crafty old SOB is up to a far more elaborate game plan adjustments to keep ahead of the pack.

As great as a tactical coach as he is, BB's greatest asset has always been the ability to stay one or two steps ahead of the rest of the league when it comes to matters of game planning and game style innovative developments.
As it's in so many ways a copy cat league and with .... The Patriots sustained success which has seen them become the hunted and copied , that gives BB a good look at what causes his game plan trouble and then subsequently being able to draft and trade to counteract that as other teams copy him.

Of course thats all easier said than done.
However when your the star of playing the game "Follow The Leader" it makes it more achievable.

This draft just gone , was a BB Master Class in just how to trade up, down and around a draft board to maximise the ability to get value and steals .
Classic case of being on the back marker in a handicapper race and still coming away with the win. :thumbsu:

More height added to the WR core overnight as the Patriots sign Dontrelle Inman - Ex Colts to a 1 year deal.

Players from last years WR group.

5' 10" 198 lbs Julian Edelman
5' 10" 192 lbs Phillip Dorsett
5' 09" 190 lbs Braxton Berrios
6' 04" 215 lbs Cody Hollister

And Hopefully Available at some stage. :praying:

6' 3" 225 lbs Josh Gordon

New Player to have joined the roster this off season.

6' 2" 228 lbs N'Keal Harry
6' 3" 229 lbs Demaryius Thomas
6' 3" 205 lbs Dontrell Inman
6' 4" 200 lbs Xavier Ubosi
6' 3" 200 lbs Maurice Harris
6' 2" 203 lbs Jokobi Meyers
6' 2" 190 lbs Damoun Pattison
5' 9" 185 lbs Ryan Davis

Now thats the tallest group of players in the WR core that I can ever remember on our list.
As I mentioned above I reckon BB is up to something with the taller WR core.

IMO will make the final list. The rest fighting it out for the remaining spots.

Additional News on the TE market.

The Vikings have put TE Kyle Rudolf on the market.
The sticking point will be the 7.6 million, for the last year ,of his five year contract and what the expected contract extension would look like for Rudolf's services.

Had we not signed Watson he would have been a good fit, but we have apparently offered Watson 3 million for the one year deal.
That said the two salaries would be covered by Gronk's departure.
Rudolf is a reliable, durable , positive locker room guy and a good quality starting TE......... would love to some way be able to acquire his services.

TBH I would rather Rudolf and Watson as a TE combination and that leaves ... on my list...... A S-J very much on the outer.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
More height added to the WR core overnight as the Patriots sign Dontrelle Inman - Ex Colts to a 1 year deal.

5' 9" 185 lbs Ryan Davis

Now thats the tallest group of players in the WR core that I can ever remember on our list.

The sticking point will be the 7.6 million, for the last year ,of his five year contract and what the expected contract extension would look like for Rudolf's services.

Had we not signed Watson he would have been a good fit, but we have apparently offered Watson 3 million for the one year deal.
Rudolf is a reliable, durable , positive locker room guy and a good quality starting TE......... would love to some way be able to acquire his services.

TBH I would rather Rudolf and Watson as a TE combination and that leaves ... on my list...... A S-J very much on the outer.
Adds credence to the notion that Pats recruit for role opposed to "position". Transition to a power run game, big WR/TE = advantage in blocking and contested catches. Hello play-action audibles.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots

5' 9" 185 lbs Ryan Davis

I'm thinking like ausbacker, these big WRs are as much about building the power run game that came to the fore in the finals and lots of call options at the LOS.

As for Rudolph, couldn't agree more. Would much rather him over Watson - though I might be biased because I've seen Rudolph play a lot more. Cost is bit steep, but it's not rediculous amounts for a quality TE. That all round quality would slot in nicely where Gronk used to play. If we're not able to get someone like Rudolph because we've locked in Watson, that would be a bit disappointing.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Report: Bill Belichick expected to serve as defensive coordinator
Posted by Charean Williams on May 14, 2019, 9:58 PM EDT

The Patriots haven’t had a defensive coordinator since Greg Schiano abruptly left in March after only one month on the job.
Defensive line coach Bret Bielema, the former head coach at Wisconsin and Arkansas, is the most qualified defensive assistant to take over those duties. But it appears Bill Belichick will handle themhimself, Ben Volin of the Boston Globereports.
Belichick last called defensive plays in 2010, but he has remained involved in the defense even when Matt Patricia and then Brian Flores were calling plays.
Belichick works with the defensive linemen during the game and “often” told Patricia and Flores when to call blitzes, according to Volin.

In a typical Patriots like move it looks like LB Jamie Collins is heading back to Foxborough, after not having been picked up during free agency.

Collins left in 2017 and got paid big time by the Browns where he got 50 million for a four year deal.
Things didn't work out with the Browns where he never produced the production worthy of that size contract.

Collins got dealt out by BB after a couple of games in which he skylarked and didn't stick to the called plays and the transgression caused an opposition TD.

There is no question that BB got the best out of Collins so its a sensible addition to the team that has potential benefit.

Typical BB move sell high and buy low.

Now they just have to get a deal done to pick up # 82 from the Vikings. ;)

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown

In a typical Patriots like move it looks like LB Jamie Collins is heading back to Foxborough, after not having been picked up during free agency.

Collins left in 2017 and got paid big time by the Browns where he got 50 million for a four year deal.
Things didn't work out with the Browns where he never produced the production worthy of that size contract.

Collins got dealt out by BB after a couple of games in which he skylarked and didn't stick to the called plays and the transgression caused an opposition TD.

There is no question that BB got the best out of Collins so its a sensible addition to the team that has potential benefit.

Typical BB move sell high and buy low.

Now they just have to get a deal done to pick up # 82 from the Vikings. ;)
Got the LB, now about that DL! According to Spotrac, there's still quality DTs available.

Can't be disappointed with the Patriots offseason. This is as talented and as well constructed a roster we've had in some time. Here's hoping to retaining health.

Got the LB, now about that DL! According to Spotrac, there's still quality DTs available.

Can't be disappointed with the Patriots offseason. This is as talented and as well constructed a roster we've had in some time. Here's hoping to retaining health.

Just need to pitch the deal to Nadomichan Suh , convince him he has spent his career tying to stop the Pats and ...... made mega money doing so .
Why not finish his career as a Patriot on base money ;) and get himself that ever elusive ring .....heck he might even get to play the Rams in the SB again next year and he can extract his revenge on the Rams for cutting him.

Jest aside this roster is looking really , really good.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Just need to pitch the deal to Nadomichan Suh , convince him he has spent his career tying to stop the Pats and ...... made mega money doing so .
Why not finish his career as a Patriot on base money ;) and get himself that ever elusive ring .....heck he might even get to play the Rams in the SB again next year and he can extract his revenge on the Rams for cutting him.

Jest aside this roster is looking really , really good.
My preference is Allen Bailey or Corey Liuget but that's contingent on their salaries. Suh is too sporadic for my liking and I also believe he'll be too expensive.

My preference is Allen Bailey or Corey Liuget but that's contingent on their salaries. Suh is too sporadic for my liking and I also believe he'll be too expensive.

Agree with that I was just throwing Suh’s name up mainly for shits and giggles seeing as he has been a perennial Patriot Hater ..... he will want to much money and I am not sure that he would be a good locker room fit .

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Agree with that I was just throwing Suh’s name up mainly for shits and giggles seeing as he has been a perennial Patriot Hater ..... he will want to much money and I am not sure that he would be a good locker room fit .
Patriots re-signed Danny Shelton. There's that requested DL signing and with rumours the Pats are engaged in a potential trade for Kyle Rudolph, well...

Like the Shelton signing but like the Rudolf speculation even more .

Rudolf would cap of the perfect off season. He would be the final piece of the jigsaw puzzle to complete the regig.

Dannyreed

All Australian
Aug 2, 2018
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I also like Shelton and if BB is happy to bring him back he must like him. Although now with McCoy looking for a new home it may have been more fruitful to wait on the DT market. I’m not sure what kind of cash he’ll ask for but he’s been one of the most consistent players in a terrible defensive scheme for years and just looks like the kind of guy who would flourish having some versatile pieces around him in a good system. Would love to see McCoy and Bennett working in tandem.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
I also like Shelton and if BB is happy to bring him back he must like him. Although now with McCoy looking for a new home it may have been more fruitful to wait on the DT market. I’m not sure what kind of cash he’ll ask for but he’s been one of the most consistent players in a terrible defensive scheme for years and just looks like the kind of guy who would flourish having some versatile pieces around him in a good system. Would love to see McCoy and Bennett working in tandem.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm genuinely intrigued by the idea of how the Patriots can create the required cap space to trade for Rudolph and sign McCoy. I don't particularly care about being a greedy son of a bitch, I'm more than happy to hand over a ridiculous team to Brady's eventual successor.

Dannyreed

All Australian
Aug 2, 2018
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I'm genuinely intrigued by the idea of how the Patriots can create the required cap space to trade for Rudolph and sign McCoy. I don't particularly care about being a greedy son of a bitch, I'm more than happy to hand over a ridiculous team to Brady's eventual successor.
This is our rough cap situation so far https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

It would be nice, our cap situation is very interesting and may be determined by a few interesting position battles. At the moment overthecap projects us to have about $6 million in space after projected cuts but not including Danny Sheltons contract as the details are not yet known. Which I think leaves us in an interesting position with Rudolph. He's figure is $7.6mil but with us projected to receive 2 3rd and 2 6th round compensatory picks in 2020 it leaves us in a good position to table Minnesota with an offer of a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2020 and them to pay $2 MIL of his wage making his cap hit $5.6 Mil. Still might be too rich for BB's blood as he usually likes to leave some wiggle room for moves during the season.

In terms of making space in the cap, it seems abit tricky at this point but I wouldn't put anything past BB. Elandon Roberts is an interesting one, I like what he does for us but he's money works. His cap hit is $2.05m with only $25,000 dead money if he is traded or released, that of course would depend on BB's confidence in Bentley and Collins picking up the slack but they would both be cheaper options. The other one is if Jake Bailey looks good in camp, it seems unlikely we would look to move on from Ryan Allen (it also seemed unlikely we would draft a Punter) as he's been awesome but again Allen has only $100,000 of dead money against his $1.5m cap hit.
Those moves seem unlikely to only save $3.4m but who knows what could happen. Our players with no dead money look likely to stay.
Jonathon jones has no dead money and $3m hit but he's also a very versatile player in our secondary and we placed a second round tender on him to keep him around. Brandon King just signed a 2 year extension so his $1.3m is going nowhere. If we do trade for Rudolph you would imagine ASJ's $700,000 would be off the books. I just dont see an easy way to clear enough for McCoy as disapointing as that sounds.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
This is our rough cap situation so far https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

It would be nice, our cap situation is very interesting and may be determined by a few interesting position battles. At the moment overthecap projects us to have about $6 million in space after projected cuts but not including Danny Sheltons contract as the details are not yet known. Which I think leaves us in an interesting position with Rudolph. He's figure is $7.6mil but with us projected to receive 2 3rd and 2 6th round compensatory picks in 2020 it leaves us in a good position to table Minnesota with an offer of a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2020 and them to pay $2 MIL of his wage making his cap hit $5.6 Mil. Still might be too rich for BB's blood as he usually likes to leave some wiggle room for moves during the season.

In terms of making space in the cap, it seems abit tricky at this point but I wouldn't put anything past BB. Elandon Roberts is an interesting one, I like what he does for us but he's money works. His cap hit is $2.05m with only $25,000 dead money if he is traded or released, that of course would depend on BB's confidence in Bentley and Collins picking up the slack but they would both be cheaper options. The other one is if Jake Bailey looks good in camp, it seems unlikely we would look to move on from Ryan Allen (it also seemed unlikely we would draft a Punter) as he's been awesome but again Allen has only $100,000 of dead money against his $1.5m cap hit.
Those moves seem unlikely to only save $3.4m but who knows what could happen. Our players with no dead money look likely to stay.
Jonathon jones has no dead money and $3m hit but he's also a very versatile player in our secondary and we placed a second round tender on him to keep him around. Brandon King just signed a 2 year extension so his $1.3m is going nowhere. If we do trade for Rudolph you would imagine ASJ's $700,000 would be off the books. I just dont see an easy way to clear enough for McCoy as disapointing as that sounds.
For all things Patriots cap related, this is the guy you want to follow: https://twitter.com/patscap ;)

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Report: Patriots 'fired up over what they've seen' from Jamie Collins

If the good Jamie Collins shows up, the D is in tremendous shape: versatile with elite playmakers on every level. I don't want to invoke the ghosts of the early dynasty Pats (because those front 7s were ridiculous) but, I'm enthused.

With a heavily incentive based contract, with a likely cap hit of around 2mil, if that hype proves true, Collins will be another case of bang for buck that keeps the Pats at the top year after year.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Early camp reports suggest we're looking at a dominant defence this season. This makes me very happy.
Not to be a pessimist but my read on those reports is the offense is struggling. No Gronk, no Jules.

Do think we will be a defense-dominate team this year but for me it’s more reflective of the O, at this point.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Not to be a pessimist but my read on those reports is the offense is struggling. No Gronk, no Jules.

Do think we will be a defense-dominate team this year but for me it’s more reflective of the O, at this point.

Early days yet. Dealing with some injuries along the O line isn't helping. A lot of new parts to fit in and probably a bit different style too, plenty of time for someone of BB and Brady's ability to settle it down.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown

The offense will be fine, it always is.

Back