Politics & Government 2019 Election: Australia's Shame

Who are you voting for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wages won't be an issue they'll be way above any standard industry award rate of pay.
Membership numbers is what they're after I guess

But I still don't understand it as the CFMEU had a very anti LNP campaign.

You can make money in mining on an individual contract with no representation at all. What they'll want is for it be a CFMEU construction project and a strong CFMEU operating presence going forward.

You can make money in mining on an individual contract with no representation at all. What they'll want is for it be a CFMEU construction project and a strong CFMEU operating presence going forward.
You make out like you know Scotland.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

That good old ‘clean’ coal. Probably similar to our clean leaded petrol.

When I think 'clean coal' I think of Collie/Bluewaters power stations compared to Muja. Stand next to the first two and you barely notice they're running. Stand next to the other and it looks like something out of the industrial revolution. You expect to see people looking like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

But not releasing water vapour and particulate solids isn't the problem of the day.

I think it is important not to begrudge the central Queenslanders for the election result. They clearly are in dire need of help, an impoverished information-illiterate region that needs to be empowered to more critically consume information and actively make better decisions in future, rather than just being helpless to the exploitation of conservative politics which preys on them. It's a cry for help. The election result might be democracy in action, but it also reveals a failure in the citizenry to make responsible, enlightened decisions for themselves, rather a mindless dysfunctional dependency on existing habits.

Last edited:
I think it is important not to begrudge the central Queenslanders for the election result. They clearly are in dire need of help, an impoverished information-illiterate region that needs to be empowered to more critically consume information and actively make better decisions in future, rather than just being helpless to the exploitation of conservative politics which preys on them. It's a cry for help.

It's 2019. There's no accepting the umpire's decision any more. If whoever you voted for didn't win you are right and everyone else is wrong and it's not fair... :)

People invested in the coal industry in Queensland (and NSW, Queensland isn't the only state with a coal export industry) don't want to accept that coal is a dying technology, and they also don't have a clear indication from the govt (or higher body) what is really going to happen over the next 5, 10, 20 years. Chumps as they are the govt still have an emissions reduction target and you don't reduce emissions by burning more coal. Not even Tony Abbott thinks that. The dumb as dog s**t energy minister that thinks you can lower emissions and open new coal mines (you can, but one works against the other - I mean I can drive with my handbrake partly on but it doesn't benefit me) should be relocated to the bottom of a coal mine...

But burning coal is only a small part of the whole industry. There are 3 ports that export over 50 Mt of the stuff a year. You don't help global climate change by burning 10% less and exporting 20% more. If that's your tack then don't have local emissions reductions targets at all and you'll achieve the same end goal. You kill off the export industry and you do serious damage to Gladstone, McKay and Newcastle which is home to 4-500,000 people.

The govt shouldn't be just shutting down the industry, but times do change and all mines have finite lives anyway. Coal mine has 5 years left, let it run it out. Businesses open and close their doors every day. We need valuable minerals for solar panel and battery production... invest in that, offer subsidies for that. Mining companies make squillions out of minerals (not people) every year anyway, how about you allow all coal mining companies a tax exemption for planned redundancy? I.e. mine is closing, you've been here 10 years, when it closes you can have $10k per year served. It's really not that hard to put some kind of ideas on the board other than '* em, shut all the mines down you can work in the services economy' and 'let's open new mines'.

I think it is important not to begrudge the central Queenslanders for the election result. They clearly are in dire need of help, an impoverished information-illiterate region that needs to be empowered to more critically consume information and actively make better decisions in future, rather than just being helpless to the exploitation of conservative politics which preys on them. It's a cry for help. The election result might be democracy in action, but it also reveals a failure in the citizenry to make responsible, enlightened decisions for themselves, rather a mindless dysfunctional dependency on existing habits.

This may be true but it's probably not a coincidence they voted for the dumb, racist party. A cry for help from the government they've already for six years? Come on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

25% Greens in GD the poll?

Didn't realise we had so many hipsters and inner city trendies that have never had to deal with any real issues on here! Maybe half the site being Victorian has something to do with it.

And in Victoria everyone drinks out of mason jars and hamburgers eat people.

It didn't help that our Labor candidates are drongos either. I voted Labor but really wasn't happy with the candidates, whereas the incumbent Liberal guy has been doing a pretty good job.

People invested in the coal industry in Queensland (and NSW, Queensland isn't the only state with a coal export industry) don't want to accept that coal is a dying technology, and they also don't have a clear indication from the govt (or higher body) what is really going to happen over the next 5, 10, 20 years
The irony is that they directed their vote to the party that is responsible for the lack of direction and went to the election with no clear policy.

Just like the US election... As soon as they lose, the left sycophants start bleating on about the primary vote.... As though the political systems that have been in place for over 100 years should be changed just because the result doesn't suit their political bias.

Only, with the Aus election, the sycophants divide out the Libs, Nats and lib-nats to try and make their bias appear sound, without recognition that they are a coalition.

Even worse, there are some who state that the coalition were beaten by Labor and the Greens..... Great, about time someone admitted they are a coalition. Perhaps next time Labor win power, a Greens member (wait, there is only one....) can be the treasurer, see how things go!!

25% Greens in GD the poll?

Didn't realise we had so many hipsters and inner city trendies that have never had to deal with any real issues on here! Maybe half the site being Victorian has something to do with it.
What's a real issue?
There's nothing shameful about Australia making a sound decision in keeping the LNP in power. When the alternatives do not stand out as being a better alternative.
This sums it up, unfortunately.

There's nothing shameful about Australia making a sound decision in keeping the LNP in power. When the alternatives do not stand out as being a better alternative.

Sound?....I don't see anything sound about re-electing a bunch of criminal conspirators, in bed with Murdoche, against it's own people & the principles & tenets of free speech & Democracy.

Your awareness levels of what's been going on at Federal level, aren't far above that of the Murdoche tabloids, that aided & abetted to deliver this result on an easily duped & unseeing public in the first place....A manufactured consent by any other name.

Sound?....I don't see anything sound about re-electing a bunch of criminal conspirators, in bed with Murdoche, against it's own people & the principles & tenets of free speech & Democracy.

Your awareness levels of what's been going on at Federal level, aren't far above that of the Murdoche tabloids, that aided & abetted to deliver this result on an easily duped & unseeing public in the first place....A manufactured consent by any other name.

Well they haven't blown up the country over the last 6 years so we are good as gold as far as I'm concerned. I've voted the LNP for 19 years, and they've not let me down :) :) :).

Back