The Real Federal Politics Discussion Thread (No Left v Right)

Remove this Banner Ad

We've reached the point where geography is important.

Labor has to choose a leader from either Western Sydney or Queensland if it wants to seriously challenge at the next election, Queenslanders hate Victorians.
Labor would do well to kidnap Bob Brown as well to avoid another convoy which surely did more harm than good.
Queenslanders hate NSW more.

Victoria as I said in the other thread is a different county for the Labor party.

Albo will be an upgrade on Shorten for sure, but is he the right person to take them to an election?
He was the member's choice 6 years ago over Shorten until the party room chose Bill.
I believe Albo is the best candidate the ALP have at the moment to take on Morrison, the Nats and One Nation.
He was the member's choice 6 years ago and I believe he deserves a chance.
Needs a good deputy though. A real brawler who's not afraid to get their hands dirty.
Oh where to find the next Paul Keating.

I believe Albo is the best candidate the ALP have at the moment to take on Morrison, the Nats and One Nation.
He was the member's choice 6 years ago and I believe he deserves a chance.
Needs a good deputy though. A real brawler who's not afraid to get their hands dirty.
Oh where to find the next Paul Keating.
Plibersek odds-on to stay on as Deputy?

Firstly, I believe that just because Albo is from a particular faction in the party doesn't mean he's restricted to promoting only that particular sort of ideology.
Also, I think Albo will be good because I think he is a good communicator, particularly with the people the Labor Party needs to win back to the fold.
He'll also be good at negating the good old fashioned Aussie bloke persona that Sco Mo has built himself upon.
And if the Libs try to sell Morrison as something else, then they open themselves up to attack from accusations that Sco Mo is actually a fake.
And Aussie don't like fakes.
The labor party needs to win back? Albanese is very left and won’t be convincing the marginal voters I am afraid.

It's all about image at the moment. People aren't smart enough anymore to understand what anything in the world of politics means, outside of the regular political followers and those who work in the sectors they are discussing. People see ScoMo as this man of the people (which he isn't) because he has a beer, watches sport etc. People see Bill as this stiff, never smiling etc. This is how bad our political discussion has become in that people are voting for someone who is more affable rather than the actual policies that may affect them. Obviously some people are and they are influenced by scare campaigns, but a lot are voting on image. In fact I dare say that half the electorate couldn't name more than 3 policies of each party.

The labor party needs to win back? Albanese is very left and won’t be convincing the marginal voters I am afraid.
I think we are talking about two different groups of voters.
I'm referring to winning back the very traditional Labor voters who have been scared into voting One Nation, whereas you may be referring to the the more aspirational Labor voters who have transitioned into voting Liberal.

I think we are talking about two different groups of voters.
I'm referring to winning back the very traditional Labor voters who have been scared into voting One Nation, whereas you may be referring to the the more aspirational Labor voters who have transitioned into voting Liberal.
Yeah I guess I am talking the marginals making the shift from labor to liberal. Winning those seats back is critical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the predictions of recession by year's end from some economists turns out to be true the response from the government and how the opposition reacts will be interesting.

If the predictions of recession by year's end from some economists turns out to be true the response from the government and how the opposition reacts will be interesting.

I think they’re going to try and inflate the housing market. APRA have loosened loan requirements on the banks, the reserve bank has signalled that they’re going to lower rates and requested that the government provide stimulus. Housing approval is down 30%, if they don’t encourage investment unemployment is going to become a problem.

The election is over, the finger pointing has begun for the Labor Party. The Coalition are jubilant with delight with their upset win.
To get the ball rolling:
  • Will Albo lead the Labor Party to the next election?
  • What will be the legaslative agenda for the Coalition?
  • How will the Senate impact the Coalition and its legislative agenda?

No discussing left v right politics. That means calling someone a leftist or rightist – it is dumb and everyone hates it. Take that **** back to America or one of the other threads on here. This thread is for nuanced discussion for those who don’t want to be pigeonholed onto a progressive/conservative spectrum.

No blue team v red team
Discuss the issue
Nice idea for a thread like this. Pity some couldn’t even let it get a page in before bringing in the exact stuff you asked to be kept in other threads...

Anyway, I’m interested in the tax reform agenda from the government. IMO the budget should be in a much better position before we start seeing tax cuts. And that just may be what happens if the Senate doesn’t let them through, especially if the government tries to push through the tax cuts as part of a broader package. The Senate is going to have a significant impact on the legislative agenda throughout this term.

They're going to need to pull something out quick - the RBA have already admitted they should have cut already emergency level interest rates earlier this month. The economy is in serious trouble. Their predictions of 4% household disposable income growth are fantasy.
All the RBA’s predictions are complete garbage and they should all be sacked.

Please elaborate on this statement i.e what policies do you think Albo will put forward? What are marginal voters looking for in a leader or policy objectives?

Anecdotally, from what I have been told:

1. Immigration - Reduction
2. Jobs - a lot of people I know are employed but aren't getting a lot of hours which is making life hard for them.

Albo will have to have a plan for these two areas if he wants to win back the 'traditional' working class.

Divvy. Thread is more confusing than labor’s policy platform, and that’s saying something

It's pretty simple: Don't come here and say "lol the regressive.left is out. you know when you have the morons who populate groups like the true blu crew and upf being able to see how hypocritical he is then you dont need him to be stupid. oh and before you try to use the whote comment those same morons have.no inability in calling out the hypocricy of whites with similar views as well"

Post like these have zero value and are low effort. This thread is for people who want to discuss issues without being called a "leftist" or "RWNJ". Furthermore, people may have views which makes it difficult to categories them as left-wing or right-wing i.e their views are broad.

I cannot be anymore clearer than I have.

That and godliness. If our PM is a dinkum about his faith he believes that the earth is 2000 years old and you can pray the gay away. Or you can believe that his christianty is all for show and that he doesn't actually hold those values. Idiot or conman, the choice is yours.

Isn't it lovely that we can all attack ScoMos religious beliefs.

His christianty is all there for the votes.

Stuff all hand clappers out there. Like Keating choosing his token AFL team, he went for Collingwood, if you were choosing a token denomination to follow then you would choose the one with decent market share and least offensive to non believers ie COE.

Please elaborate on this statement i.e what policies do you think Albo will put forward? What are marginal voters looking for in a leader or policy objectives?

Anecdotally, from what I have been told:

1. Immigration - Reduction
2. Jobs - a lot of people I know are employed but aren't getting a lot of hours which is making life hard for them.

Albo will have to have a plan for these two areas if he wants to win back the 'traditional' working class.
I felt the economic policies implied were a bit of a stretch. Too much too soon. There was a lot of this ‘top end of town’ narrative that didn’t sit will from my perspective.

If the working class types didn’t vote for Shorten who did they vote for? There was a lot of focus on jobs from Shorten.

I felt the economic policies implied were a bit of a stretch. Too much too soon. There was a lot of this ‘top end of town’ narrative that didn’t sit will from my perspective.

If the working class types didn’t vote for Shorten who did they vote for? There was a lot of focus on jobs from Shorten.
Hanson's One Nation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back