• Richard Marles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Joel Fitzgibbon

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My personal view (and I am a paid up member) is I dont think the membership should get a vote full stop, BUT if we have won it shouldn't be worth more than 50%

We are voting for a leader, and that entails know how someone works with people, inspires them, understands and communicates policy, and has a vision for the future. We at home get a glimpse of this, but we have far too little inside knowledge to make an informed decision.

The only thing I like about the membership vote is it is a reality check on making sure a candidate at least has some degree of public appeal, but the reality is it is a popularity contest for most members (just due to the available information they have)
Well the punters nearly voted 2 to 1 Albo over shorten last time and they got that right

Well the punters nearly voted 2 to 1 Albo over shorten last time and they got that right

thats assuming albo would have won

our comprehensive policy approach killed us, not one leader

As Wong said today, Saturdays failure is on all the leaders of the ALP (inc her)

This is the caucus saying a big "f you" to Shorten in throwing their support behind Albo.

Also, I think people reason it is fair to give Albo his shot - he could be just the antidote to ScoMo's "ordinaryness". But my prediction is this will end in failure for Labor. Albo too unpolished to be PM.

The reason I think Albo should be the leader is that he hates the greens. One problem labor has is that it’s perceived as being in defacto coalition with the greens. If he can break that, then it’s one step towards rehabilitation.

The reason I think Albo should be the leader is that he hates the greens. One problem labor has is that it’s perceived as being in defacto coalition with the greens. If he can break that, then it’s one step towards rehabilitation.

to do that though they need to attract 2 ON voters for every green they lose.

to do that though they need to attract 2 ON voters for every green they lose.

They’re not attracting greens voters though, greens have stabilised at 10% and they don’t identify with labor, their preferences will still flow to labor on the most part. They might pull some votes from ON, but on the whole it’s the blue collar workers they need to get back, the “Howard’s battlers” that left in the 90’s.

They’re not attracting greens voters though, greens have stabilised at 10% and they don’t identify with labor, their preferences will still flow to labor on the most part. They might pull some votes from ON, but on the whole it’s the blue collar workers they need to get back, the “Howard’s battlers” that left in the 90’s.

At my booth for example (yes, sample of one), alp got 90% of green preferences, 30% of ON

To get more preferences or ideally crossovers, they will need policies more aligned to ON

Everyone in labour seriously hates the greens and they all make no bones about it from what I have seen.
Bowen presumably has been told he is too tainted. So good on him for listening and withdrawing.

As a liberal man Jim Chalmers would be a top choice for Labor; he is intelligent, fresh faced and doesn't strike me as an arrogant knobhead like his predecessors. And being a Queenslander may restore some of the damage caused from the election.

If Albanese is chosen the Libs will have a fun time in government.

Interesting Bowen said this gives someone else in the right the chance to nominate before close of nominations. Has the path been cleared for a Queenslander, Chalmers?

Jim Chalmers seems like a good candidate for the future, but probably a bit soon for him. Will be very hard for whichever person takes it on to lead Labor to victory at the next election. Might be better for someone like Albo to lead for two years, then someone like Chalmers take over in the lead up to the election.

Dunno about Albo. Just can’t see him taking Labor to victory. But that might just be me and the fact that whenever I see him he reminds me of that fat kid from Hey Dad.

I tend to agree...

But then I think, perhaps going for a younger option would be a massive positive for them; break the cycle of going with old guys, and get someone young and energetic in the mix...

Like Ukraine just did ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chalmers said he wouldn't stand if Bowen did.

Bowen made a point of saying Albo had the punters behind him, but this may hint at why Chalmers is hanging around.

ABC news had an online poll for who should be next oppo leader, with current results:

Chalmers - 49%
Albanese - 29%
O'Neil - 8%
Butler - 7%
Bowen - 7%

its only a crappy online poll from a small audience, but if other polls are showing similar, the Right may be thinking Chalmers is a better option than Bowen.

Bowen made a point of saying Albo had the punters behind him, but this may hint at why Chalmers is hanging around.

ABC news had an online poll for who should be next oppo leader, with current results:

Chalmers - 49%
Albanese - 29%
O'Neil - 8%
Butler - 7%
Bowen - 7%

its only a crappy online poll from a small audience, but if other polls are showing similar, the Right may be thinking Chalmers is a better option than Bowen.

I like Chalmers for it but I'd thought I was out on a bit of a limb with the choice. Interesting little poll.

Looking at that list of names..... gee Labor is a shambles. No wonder most of the country voted Liberal even though those smug pricks absolutely deserved to lose.

Reading that Shorten is involving himself behind the scenes in the decision just makes me cringe. Who'd be stupid enough to listen to a man who just lost an un-loseable election anyway? The Liberal Party disgusts me because it is full of hateful, heartless social climbers but Labor has for years projected complete impotence and ineptness and I don't see that changing unless the party takes a good hard look at itself and attempts to dismantle the factional powerplays going on behind the scenes. Time to give grassroots members way more say in how the party is run and who leads it.

Chalmers still hasn't officially said he's in or out
Think he's testing the waters in the media and the punditry "overnight" to see if him standing would be in everyone's interest. I'd expect the reception to be positive and him to announce tomorrow

Chalmers - 49%
Albanese - 29%
O'Neil - 8%
Butler - 7%
Bowen - 7%

Yep, not that one can believe polls anymore! Still that vote seems like an over-correction to me.

Chalmers is going to make a decision over night.

There's a deal on the table that he is Albo's deputy leader, while Don Farrell will be tapped on the shoulder to make way for Penny Wong and Kristina Keneally in the Senate.

Think he's testing the waters in the media and the punditry "overnight" to see if him standing would be in everyone's interest. I'd expect the reception to be positive and him to announce tomorrow
Yep, not that one can believe polls anymore! Still that vote seems like an over-correction to me.

my gut feel is they are looking to seal the deputy role for him, and possibly key front bench roles for the right to allow an unopposed vote

leader aside, Bowen will be fighting to retain treasury after his failed policy platform. Also I reckon the right will be pushing for greater roles for O'Neil, Husar, and Keneally. This may be the price the Left have to pay to get an uncontested vote

As a liberal man Jim Chalmers would be a top choice for Labor; he is intelligent, fresh faced and doesn't strike me as an arrogant knobhead like his predecessors. And being a Queenslander may restore some of the damage caused from the election.

If Albanese is chosen the Libs will have a fun time in government.
Albo will draw and quarter the vacuous, ad con man. A street fighter who takes no prisoners.

Hope Chalmers throws his hat in the ring for deputy should he miss the top job.

Looking at that list of names..... gee Labor is a shambles. No wonder most of the country voted Liberal even though those smug pricks absolutely deserved to lose.

Reading that Shorten is involving himself behind the scenes in the decision just makes me cringe. Who'd be stupid enough to listen to a man who just lost an un-loseable election anyway? The Liberal Party disgusts me because it is full of hateful, heartless social climbers but Labor has for years projected complete impotence and ineptness and I don't see that changing unless the party takes a good hard look at itself and attempts to dismantle the factional powerplays going on behind the scenes. Time to give grassroots members way more say in how the party is run and who leads it.

I’m thinking a competition like The Voice. Go for a three year pre-selection reality TV program starting with 150 candidates, where Labor Party members vote off candidates after each challenge

Challenge 1) microwave a kitten
Challenge 2) deflect a Murdoch story
Challenge 3) eat a hot pie without looking like a dickhead...

my gut feel is they are looking to seal the deputy role for him, and possibly key front bench roles for the right to allow an unopposed vote

leader aside, Bowen will be fighting to retain treasury after his failed policy platform. Also I reckon the right will be pushing for greater roles for O'Neil, Husar, and Keneally. This may be the price the Left have to pay to get an uncontested vote
Yep agree. Albo and him is a strong combo. And yep, worth looking at those fresher faces. Bowen is not old but seems to have been round a long time and he seems a bit nasty. Move him on a bit.

Yep agree. Albo and him is a strong combo. And yep, worth looking at those fresher faces. Bowen is not old but seems to have been round a long time and he seems a bit nasty. Move him on a bit.

At this point I'd be wondering whether Bowen should even be in cabinet.

Back