Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope none of the vegans in here are taking pea protein. That stuff will **** you up. It’s been found to contain glyphosate.

Thanks for the heads up Val. Pea protein is all the rage now in vegan supplements, so it's a bit of a concern for me to hear this news. Did a google search, but can only find 8 brands that have been tested, and surprisingly the organic ones are the ones with the highest levels, and by a staggeringly wide margin too. Says a lot about the transparency of our supply chains. Also learned that the world's biggest suppliers of pea protein are China and (*gulp*) Canada.

As an interesting aside, pea and other legume proteins are now being widely used in the pet food industry too. Started to really take off a couple of years ago, and since then we've seen a fairly concerning spike in dogs presenting with dilated cardiomyopathy at a very young age (10 months to 3 years, roughly). And not the purebreds that are known to be genetically pre-disposed either. There's a theory being looked into right now that legumes block taurine uptake (taurine is essential for heart function) in dogs and cats. So we've started supplementing them and getting the owners to change diets, and while that is working, we still don't know for sure just what role, if any, the legume-based diets were playing. But in my mind it's pretty suspect.

While I still think it's fair to "give peas a chance", we live in a world now where there's pretty much nothing that isn't in some way contaminated or poisoned. It's pretty depressing really.

Back at work this week after extended layoff due to ACL surgery. And I'm remind of why I hate living in Melbourne (again). Leave home at 6:30am, get home at 7pm, presuming everything goes well. By the time I cook and eat 8pm. In bed by 9:30pm. Barely have any time to do my knee rehab if I take any form of leisure.

Back at work this week after extended layoff due to ACL surgery. And I'm remind of why I hate living in Melbourne (again). Leave home at 6:30am, get home at 7pm, presuming everything goes well. By the time I cook and eat 8pm. In bed by 9:30pm. Barely have any time to do my knee rehab if I take any form of leisure.

Move to the Greater Katamatite Region

Time is everywhere

Thanks for the heads up Val. Pea protein is all the rage now in vegan supplements, so it's a bit of a concern for me to hear this news. Did a google search, but can only find 8 brands that have been tested, and surprisingly the organic ones are the ones with the highest levels, and by a staggeringly wide margin too. Says a lot about the transparency of our supply chains. Also learned that the world's biggest suppliers of pea protein are China and (*gulp*) Canada.

As an interesting aside, pea and other legume proteins are now being widely used in the pet food industry too. Started to really take off a couple of years ago, and since then we've seen a fairly concerning spike in dogs presenting with dilated cardiomyopathy at a very young age (10 months to 3 years, roughly). And not the purebreds that are known to be genetically pre-disposed either. There's a theory being looked into right now that legumes block taurine uptake (taurine is essential for heart function) in dogs and cats. So we've started supplementing them and getting the owners to change diets, and while that is working, we still don't know for sure just what role, if any, the legume-based diets were playing. But in my mind it's pretty suspect.

While I still think it's fair to "give peas a chance", we live in a world now where there's pretty much nothing that isn't in some way contaminated or poisoned. It's pretty depressing really.

I've heard glyphosate gets you a rating with some organic certifications. Not very credible ones obviously.

Not sure glyphosate is dangerous in the quantities infested in the final product? New Zealand's EPA did a meta analysis and doesn't think so

Unlike the US EPA which offered to kill the studies that ended up showing the link between it and NHL.

The US EPA was owned by Monsanto for years.

Just discovered that Maynard is quite the winemaker, too. Saw some of his wines being reviewed by some snooty wine-tasting types on TV the other day. Apparently he makes quite the nice drop. At over $100 a bottle for the cheapest one, it'd want to be.

Anyways, back on topic....

Maynard F# Keenan's thoughts on Trump (from a Kerrang interview last year)....

...."a disgusting turd".

Maynard has a vinyard all right and its located on what will end up being the shores of Arizona Bay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just discovered that Maynard is quite the winemaker, too. Saw some of his wines being reviewed by some snooty wine-tasting types on TV the other day. Apparently he makes quite the nice drop. At over $100 a bottle for the cheapest one, it'd want to be.

Anyways, back on topic....

Maynard F# Keenan's thoughts on Trump (from a Kerrang interview last year)....

...."a disgusting turd".

Quality name for his vineyard too

8AAA93E3-2251-478A-A284-A9DC610CD33B.jpeg

Another woman murdered in Parkville last night. This feels like my backyard. What the **** is going on out there? These ****en scumbags robbing ladies of their right live. Gees I’d love to catch one of these weak campaigners.

Dodgy *ers everywhere. My brother lives close by. It's such an isolated spot in the middle of a huge city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back