Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I arrived about 10am, just as the players were coming outside. Moore was the only exclusion that didn't train. Appleby did part of the session and then went inside. Also, I don't think I saw Nathan Murphy amongst the rehab group.
Cox was also in the group as they all warmed up, and then started to do some drills.

Taylor Adams trained well, but then went inside. Maybe came up sore. As noted in the press conference and Adams' post on twitter, seems he may need one more week. But otherwise he trained throughout it all except match sim.
Jordan De Goey, someone I was focusing on given last week, trained throughout the whole thing. Seemed he was feeling much better with his ailments that plagued him over the little while.

There was a cheer and then the group sang happy birthday to Goldsack as it was his birthday today. At first I thought they may debut Quaynor with the cheer, but now that I think about it, it could to do with Shaz possibly will be playing VFL this week.

I arrived about 10am, just as the players were coming outside. Moore was the only exclusion that didn't train. Appleby did part of the session and then went inside. Also, I don't think I saw Nathan Murphy amongst the rehab group.
Cox was also in the group as they all warmed up, and then started to do some drills.

Taylor Adams trained well, but then went inside. Maybe came up sore. As noted in the press conference and Adams' post on twitter, seems he may need one more week. But otherwise he trained throughout it all except match sim.
Jordan De Goey, someone I was focusing on given last week, trained throughout the whole thing. Seemed he was feeling much better with his ailments that plagued him over the little while.

There was a cheer and then the group sang happy birthday to Goldsack as it was his birthday today. At first I thought they may debut Quaynor with the cheer, but now that I think about it, it could to do with Shaz possibly will be playing VFL this week.

So Langers trained?

I thought Shaz was still listed as 4 weeks off by the club. That'd be some kind of recovery. How long has he been training with the main group?

Bummer about Moore and Adams. I was hopeful they'd get up. Seems unlikely now. It makes selection interesting.

It goes without saying, but many thanks for the update.

I thought Shaz was still listed as 4 weeks off by the club. That'd be some kind of recovery. How long has he been training with the main group?

Bummer about Moore and Adams. I was hopeful they'd get up. Seems unlikely now. It makes selection interesting.

It goes without saying, but many thanks for the update.
Something must have changed, I thought the last injury update other than today listed him as 3 weeks, but then today's saw him as available, and Walshy said he was right to play. Very crazy.
I'd say he has been in main training for the last couple weeks.

WalterBlaknWhte and me will do one for tomorrow’s session :)

Ahhh that would be good to catch-up again 76 but am in Prague

Just got back from a long walk around the city

People drinking and eating (and smoking) late at tables on the street

The current nanny-state that presides over Sydney would incarcerate them all for having fun

Collingwood by 88 points

The current nanny-state that presides over Sydney would incarcerate them all for having fun

Collingwood by 88 points
I’m envious!

Was there in 2005 and had a blast. Potato and sausage soup for breakfast chased down with a Pilsner. Awesome!

Collingwood by 88 points
How’s your wag going?

Have you seen that vegemite sandwich eater ottoman hanging around?

I’m envious!

Was there in 2005 and had a blast. Potato and sausage soup for breakfast chased down with a Pilsner. Awesome!
The soup would be delicious for breakfast.

Fascinating and beautiful city.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training report, May 23rd 2019, SCG ...

3:58pm: Walking to the SCG this afternoon I pass a familiar looking bloke looking very nervous and a bit agitated. i realise it is John Longmire. G’Day Horse! :thumbsu:

It is a balmy Autumn afternoon in Sydney. The skies are blue, and it is a comfortable 20 degrees or so. The Magpie army are up and about and coming to keep an eagle eye on the training session and maybe get a few autographs for the kids.

The SCG scoreboard is fully lit up with “Welcome to our home” displayed prominently with Swans livery. That’s very nice and hospitable of them. Cynics would suggest that it is just there to support the realestate.com.au sponsorship, but nah, the Swans truly are a sweet and wholesome club.

Gee, it is so good to be amongst my Collingwood tribe.

A quick check reveals that the biggest fan favourite - Jordan DeGoey - failed to make the flight up here. However the mood remains buoyant with the second biggest fan favourite in attendance and in good form - Tanya the face painting girl. She’s a big hit with kids. As is the lady handing out the thunderclap sticks. One parent patiently shows their child how to use them to make a thunderclap sound, but the kid has a much better idea and uses them to chase other kids around and whack them.

There’s fun here for the whole family.

As usual, the centre square of the SCG is cordoned off. Two media cameras are set up to capture the goings on of the session, with some rather bored looking cameramen checking their BigFooty feed.

4:23pm Many of the support staff are out on the ground, and a couple of players start trickling out onto the field. One is Mihocek. The other is Daicos - or is it Maynard? Dang, I can’t keep up with the player’s hair do’s these days! He takes a set shot at goal, he must be Daicos then. He misses, he must be Maynard then.

More players filter out and practice their set shots at goal at the Don Bradman stand end. That’s the Paddington end for the folks who follow cricket, or the northern end for the folks who don’t. There are footies flying from everywhere and I can’t keep track of who hits and who misses.

One player is lairising around and practicing torps. No, it isn’t Stephenson.

For a while the defensive players practice their kick outs and everyone else practices their set shots.

The cheer squad lady (Lorraine?) is handing out posters. The crowd is in a good mood.

4:37 whistle blows. All the players go down to the Clive Churchill stand end (Randwick end for the cricket folks, southern end for the others) which is furthest away from the eyes of the fans and the two cameramen who have set their zoom to max and still can’t make out the difference between Grundy and Greenwood.

All the players get on the turf and do some kind of stretching / yoga session. Yeah, makes sense, I guess it’s hard to do yoga with adoring fans gawking at you.

4:43pm Whistle blows, yoga session over. Namaste. Players head back to the Paddington end to show off their goal kicking skills again in front of the fans. It seems to be a theme for the training session, whenever a player has 5 seconds to twiddle their thumbs, they’re using that time instead for goal kicking practice. We’re not going to kick a behind tomorrow night, bookmark it!!

4:45om Whistle blows, drills. Some drills are ground ball pickup exercises. Some drills are short passes. It’s all very relaxed. The lads are clearly taking it easy.

Chris Mayne’s hair can be viewed from space. Just say’in.

4:50pm Defensive line separates off to do their own drill. In the defensive line are IQ, Greenwood, Howe, Madgen, Roughead, Crisp, Maynard and Aish. Aish is one end, and all the others are at the other end about 30-40meters away. Aish kicks the ball in and players pair off to take a contested mark, then quickly pass the ball off to another player who shoots it back to Aish. Dunn is supervising the drill. He is decked out in player livery but this guy is a coach.

The Collingwood lady with the membership caps wanders by and I claim mine. She clips my membership card.

Madgen practices marking under the high ball. Not sure how realistic that is. It’s now starting to get a little dark and the SCG lights are off. Victorians will recognise that it’s getting dark a little earlier up here than it is down there at the moment.

4:57pm Whistle blows, training over. All players wander up to the fence to sign autographs and mingle with the fans. The players do it well.

5:09pm Whistle blows, end of autograph session. The players ignore the whistle and can’t be separated from their adoring fans.

5:15pm Whistle blows, that’s all folks!

Last edited:
Training report, May 23rd 2019, SCG ...

3:58pm: Walking to the SCG this afternoon I pass a familiar looking bloke looking very nervous and a bit agitated. i realise it is John Longmire. G’Day Horse! :thumbsu:

It is a balmy Autumn afternoon in Sydney. The skies are blue, and it is a comfortable 20 degrees or so. The Magpie army are up and about and coming to keep an eagle eye on the training session and maybe get a few autographs for the kids.

The SCG scoreboard is fully lit up with “Welcome to our home” displayed prominently with Swans livery. That’s very nice and hospitable of them. Cynics would suggest that it is just there to support the realestate.com.au sponsorship, but nah, the Swans truly are a sweet and wholesome club.

Gee, it is so good to be amongst my Collingwood tribe.

A quick check reveals that the biggest fan favourite - Jordan DeGoey - failed to make the flight up here. However the mood remains buoyant with the second biggest fan favourite in attendance and in good form - Tanya the face painting girl. She’s a big hit with kids. As is the lady handing out the thunderclap sticks. One parent patiently shows their child how to use them to make a thunderclap sound, but the kid has a much better idea and uses them to chase other kids around and whack them.

There’s fun here for the whole family.

As usual, the centre square of the SCG is cordoned off. Two media cameras are set up to capture the goings on of the session, with some rather bored looking cameramen checking their BigFooty feed.

4:23pm Many of the support staff are out on the ground, and a couple of players start trickling out onto the field. One is Mihocek. The other is Daicos - or is it Maynard? Dang, I can’t keep up with the player’s hair do’s these days! He takes a set shot at goal, he must be Daicos then. He misses, he must be Maynard then.

More players filter out and practice their set shots at goal at the Don Bradman stand end. That’s the Paddington end for the folks who follow cricket, or the northern end for the folks who don’t. There are footies flying from everywhere and I can’t keep track of who hits and who misses.

One player is lairising around and practicing torps. No, it isn’t Stephenson.

For a while the defensive players practice their kick outs and everyone else practices their set shots.

The cheer squad lady (Lorraine?) is handing out posters. The crowd is in a good mood.

4:37 whistle blows. All the players go down to the Clive Churchill stand end (Randwick end for the cricket folks, southern end for the others) which is furthest away from the eyes of the fans and the two cameramen who have set their zoom to max and still can’t make out the difference between Grundy and Greenwood.

All the players get on the turf and do some kind of stretching / yoga session. Yeah, makes sense, I guess it’s hard to do yoga with adoring fans gawking at you.

4:43pm Whistle blows, yoga session over. Namaste. Players head back to the Paddington end to show off their goal kicking skills again in front of the fans. It seems to be a theme for the training session, whenever a player has 5 seconds to twiddle their thumbs, they’re using that time instead for goal kicking practice. We’re not going to kick a behind tomorrow night, bookmark it!!

4:45om Whistle blows, drills. Some drills are ground ball pickup exercises. Some drills are short passes. It’s all very relaxed. The lads are clearly taking it easy.

Chris Mayne’s hair can be viewed from space. Just say’in.

4:50pm Defensive line separates off to do their own drill. In the defensive line are IQ, Greenwood, Howe, Madgen, Roughead, Crisp, Maynard and Aish. Aish is one end, and all the others are at the other end about 30-40meters away. Aish kicks the ball in and players pair off to take a contested mark, then quickly pass the ball off to another player who shoots it back to Aish. Dunn is supervising the drill. He is decked out in player livery but this guy is a coach.

The Collingwood lady with the membership caps wanders by and I claim mine. She clips my membership card.

Madgen practices marking under the high ball. Not sure how realistic that is. It’s now starting to get a little dark and the SCG lights are off. Victorians will recognise that it’s getting dark a little earlier up here than it is down there at the moment.

4:57pm Whistle blows, training over. All players wander up to the fence to sign autographs and mingle with the fans. The players do it well.

5:09pm Whistle blows, end of autograph session. The players ignore the whistle and can’t be separated from their adoring fans.

5:15pm Whistle blows, that’s all folks!

Cheers for that!

Pendles made a remark about goal kicking practice on his podcast too this week. It'll be interesting to see how we go.

Great report. I remember my time from last years' sydney training session that I went up for.
You going to Sydney or are you in Sydney for the game?

Can’t remember if you said yay or nay in one of your posts?

You going to Sydney or are you in Sydney for the game?

Can’t remember if you said yay or nay in one of your posts?
Twas my plan. Even have the game ticket, but then I decided I shouldn't go. That I needed to save my money for my overseas trip in October, and I did go to the brisbane game.
But I went last year.

Twas my plan. Even have the game ticket, but then I decided I shouldn't go. That I needed to save my money for my overseas trip in October, and I did go to the brisbane game.
But I went last year.
Enjoy celebrating September success :) when you go overseas in October.

I’ve been to see us play at this SCG but it’s been a while.
I think I’d go again if it works in conjunction with a big race meeting in Sydney as that two things to twist my hand to go.

Enjoy celebrating September success :) when you go overseas in October.

I’ve been to see us play at this SCG but it’s been a while.
I think I’d go again if it works in conjunction with a big race meeting in Sydney as that two things to twist my hand to go.
Yup! haha. My sister and I are going to Hawaii and Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back