• Gold Coast by 1-39

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Gold Coast by 40+

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also had 7 tackles (a team high) and a goal, but let's just write that off shall we? Was criticized for his lack of effort, so has played a more hardened style with less focus on his own game, and more on the team. Had to force his way into the side and has gotten back to his best. Is used as a 'run with' player, so he had the job on Bont last week - hence the low disposal count. Bont had a couple of good goals at a vital time, but didn't do much else.

Check your bias, it's not contributing anything

With my own eyes he played well last week. Dogs always looked dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You guys are harsh in here, Parsons hasn't been spotted in the main side for a long time now and his VFL form has been great so he has deserved his shot, I just hope that he has grown a pair since his last AFL game and actually takes some contact because for me that was his weakness, soft as butter, there is no doubt the guy has skills to be a good player though so lets back him in, also everyone thats offended about Constable being dropped has no right to be, you could see last week he was just so miserable and his game was poor and he knew it, when he kicked that goal in the last quarter while all the other players were smiling and celebrating he was just forlorn and shaking his head, a few weeks VFL wont kill him to get that confidence back. I really dont care who the MC selects as long as we are winning.

Constable had 6 tackles. Guthrie's goal? Wow...

Check my bias? How about you check the stats? A 7 game teen V a 150 game senior AFL player, 2019 averages.

View attachment 679157

Different roles I think. So only fair comparison would be to compare performance to others in similar roles recently rather than comparing 7 game player v 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guthrie is just holding on to a spot in the best 22,he still plays his own short little game within the game to build his numbers and goes nowhere.

He's maxed out potential wise, he's never gonna provide any more than what we get right now.. Constable is a skinny rookie and is at least on par with Guthrie already, arguably better.

I think people aren’t happy about Parsons being named is because he has no future at Geelong. Who honestly can see him playing finals this season? Or being on the list in a couple of years. It’s blatantly obvious he’s the next Murdoch, GHS, Smedts etc so why bother wasting everyones time. Constable has a future at this club, pump games into him.

I think people aren’t happy about Parsons being named is because he has no future at Geelong. Who honestly can see him playing finals this season? Or being on the list in a couple of years. It’s blatantly obvious he’s the next Murdoch, GHS, Smedts etc so why bother wasting everyones time. Constable has a future at this club, pump games into him.
I remember people saying similar things about young James Bartel and erroneous forward Cameron Ling early on.

Says who? Please dont speak for all of us, I actually like Parsons as a player and reckon he is skilled.

I’m about the only geelong supporter it seems that hasn’t given up on parsons. Glad to see him fight his way back. Still think might see Chook back in for Gaz

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m with you mate. It’s been 9 months or so since his last game in the AFL team. No doubt, like all players he has trained and improved himself. So he should be better than he was last year.

Everyone is raving about Stanley as our ruckman now, how he competes and makes the team better, however, just 2 years ago, his selections were greeted with a lot of eye rolls and drama.

Players do change and can improve and the coaches really are the best judges of who should be playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think Chook is stiff and I wonder if we’re destroying his confidence. He looked miserable on the weekend - does he always look that way? He set up a goal and kicked another and both times others celebrated while he looked like his dog had just been shot. Was weird. Reckon he knew he’d played a quiet game and would be out of the team. I’d like to see him persevered with but the virtue and challenge of playing well is there are going to be players unlucky to miss.

I laughed when I saw Parsons in, anticipating the melts here. I’d warned my Dad for weeks it was coming. I can only hope he’s a (much) better player than he was previously. Can’t really argue with giving him a go given his 2nds form has apparently been very strong. With a fully fit team he isn’t in the 22 but I don’t see harm in finding out if he’s improved, especially against a weaker opposition.
I actually thought Constable looked focused during the match.

There are a lot of reasons players are dropped, form isn’t the only reason. Sometimes players have small niggles where they aren’t injured, but they are carrying something small. They could play if it was a cutthroat final, but it would also benefit them to have a week off too.

Well I remember the exact opposite. Everyone I was around couldn't believe Bartel wasn't getting a game in the seniors. It was obvious he was a cut above VFL.

That's rubbish, Bartel struggled in his first couple of years averaging just 12 disposals (24 Games in 2 seasons) hence why he was dropped to the VFL, he went back and worked on his game and came back a much better player and averaged nearly 22 in his 3rd year.

Comparison

Year 1
Bartel 2002 - 11 Games, 12.73 Disposals Per Game, 0.27 Goals Per Game
Parsons 2017 - 20 Games, 10.80 Disposals Per Game, 0.70 Goals Per Game

Year 2
Bartel 2003 - 13 Games, 12.08 Disposals Per Game, 0.38 Goals Per Game
Parsons 2018 - 11 Games, 12.18 Disposals Per Game, 0.82 Goals Per Game

If anything Parsons averages are equal to if not better than Bartel considering he played 7 more games.

Last edited:
Internet forums really are the most incredible documents of the human condition.

At 8-1, we still have white-hot anger about marginal selection decisions. And feigned incredulity at Parso's inclusion, despite the fact he has been consistently in the bests in the twos thus far in 2019. And week after week has appeared on the emergency list for the ones (which must suggest he's been close to a promotion). Surely it's then hardly surprising that he gets a run. Particularly if 7-game players in just their second year can't be considered 'locks' for senior footy.

So it's absolutely understandable for posters to say they don't agree with the decision. But to suggest that it's some sort of obscene travesty is well beyond the objective facts under consideration in my view.
Melting over team selections is the foundational constitutional right of BigFooty.

#giveparsothearso

It's weird how certain players get pumped up on this board and certain players get jumped on. Without wanting to pot Constable I'm not really sure what others see in him that I'm missing. To my eye he just looks a bit vanilla and I don't really see why everyone around here raves about him. We should of course give him chances to improve in time but right now he's playing poorly and doesn't deserve to be in the team. I definitely don't see him being talented enough to pump games in to in spite of form like Clark who's likely to be in our best 22 come finals time whereas I seriously doubt that for Constable.

As for Parsons I don't really get the hate. In 2017 and early in 2018 he showed heaps of talent. I get he's had a really bad 12 months and his type of game style doesn't lend himself to being loved by fans but he's got things that set him apart from other players. I don't really see that in Constable so if I were a betting man I'd predict Parsons to be more likely to make it as a quality AFL player than Constable.

Day ruined when I seen

In: J Parsons
Dead set I can see it now, we’ll win by 50+ and he’ll kick 4 shitty goals running into open space and he won’t leave our side for a month.
I can’t belive Constable is out for Parsons.
Get F’d
You are ripping Parso off,they gave Kersto two more months on the back of his 4 goals v Suns in the flogging of 2016.

What 'position' are we going to see Parsons predominantly?
Forward line seems reasonably settled. Where has he been playing in the twos?
I for one hope that Scott and Dew give the fans the mouthwatering matchup we've been waiting for all season:

Murdoch v Parsons

To the tune of the Benny Hill theme song.

The one consistent theme of Geelong selection for many many years is that players with leg speed are given more opportunities than players without it.

Clark and Parsons over Constable just latest in long line of examples.

So Chook being selected for seven games already this year in preference to Parsons is the exception that proves the rule, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back