A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That Singh fella looked handy enough in parts this season, along with Williams.
Even when he was getting blooded into the side last season he looked really comfortable on the ball. He just needs to build up muscle and strength, he gets pushed off the ball too easily.

A-League clubs fear another season under FFA control

[IMG='width:650px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/4f9c868000ded6ae6cdc72b351970214?width=650[/IMG]
Wanderers chairman Paul Lederer doesn’t want another
A-League season under FFA control

Concerns are mounting that soccer officials will fail to strike a deal to make the A-League independent of governing body Football Federation Australia by a June 30 deadline, with clubs and state federations at loggerheads.
Clubs have warned, if they do not wrest control of the league, it could experience another season of declining popularity and put at risk future sponsorship and commercial deals.
Western Sydney Wanderers chairman Paul Lederer, who is also the chairman of the clubs’ association, said it would be “catastrophic” for the A-League to experience another season under FFA management.
The looming June 30 deadline has galvanised the sport’s state and member federations, who have the majority say in a vote on a deal and are determined to extract financial and corporate governance concessions from the clubs.
Those include possible compensation flowing to the member federations, who are arguing for board representation on an independent league, a certain percentage of the league remaining owned by FFA and even club owners having to pay compensation to states when they sell their clubs.
Other sticking points between the clubs and federations remain the share from the $346 million TV revenue from Fox Sports, which still has four seasons to run on the current deal, commercial rights, ownership of intellectual property, structure of the new competition and the relationship between professional clubs and the game’s grassroots.
The states are also worried they will be left without access to future revenue streams once existing rights and sponsorship agreements expire. They want a portion of revenue to keep flowing to the wider game in the long-term.
The demands have upset club owners, who have incurred $350m in losses since the A-League was established in 2005.
They argue they deserve a bigger say in how the league is operated and that, by using their business acumen, can strike better sponsorship and broadcast deals and run the league more efficiently.
Meetings involving the clubs, FFA, member federations and
other stakeholders are set for next week, with the clubs imploring the parties to find common ground.
“We all know it has to happen, so it should happen,” Wanderers chairman Paul Lederer says.
“We need people to put aside ego and power. It is not worth thinking about the consequences if we don’t meet this deadline.”
The clubs have argued they should take control over both their own and the league’s intellectual property for little or no compensation — a major sticking point for the states.
The two sides are said to be a reasonable way off a deal, meaning the June 30 deadline agreed by FFA chairman Chris Nikou could come and go without an agreement being struck, leaving the FFA in charge of the next A-League either for the entire season or at least part of it.
Professional Footballers’ Association chief executive John Didulica says the clubs and federations need to strike a deal: “We’ll never have a better opportunity to strike a deal that can genuinely balance the game’s objectives. Otherwise the losers will be the players and the fans.”
Clubs claim the league cannot go through another season like 2018-19, which was hit by a small fall in attendances but a major drop in broadcast ratings on both Fox Sports and the Ten Network.
Owners have implored the stakeholders to agree to a deal that would see the owners have control of the league and pay a percentage of revenue annually to FFA or the member federations.
The A-League clubs wanted to retain 90 per cent of TV revenue, leaving FFA with 10 per cent. The head body was demanding as much as 18.5 per cent and has the support of a number of member federations who are reliant on financial support from FFA.
The FFA board is believed to have moved closer to the position held by the clubs since former chairman Steven Lowy vacated the role last October.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...l/news-story/a9e6ce3607a31100f0441c9e15f6d175

Nothing is ever straight forward is it?

Did anyone watch the "round table" they had on Fox Sports last night? Was really good. If the independent league doesn't happen this year it could be in deep, deep trouble.

Did anyone watch the "round table" they had on Fox Sports last night? Was really good. If the independent league doesn't happen this year it could be in deep, deep trouble.
We either go independent or the owners will start to walk.

We won't have a national comp just part time state leagues.

Will get kicked out of Asia shortly after no doubt.

We either go independent or the owners will start to walk.

We won't have a national comp just part time state leagues.

Will get kicked out of Asia shortly after no doubt.

One of the most interesting parts was when Bozza said the clubs only get $5-10 from the sale of every $120 jersey. Now, may have been some may on it but goes to show why there is a reluctance from club owners to invest if all the profits from the generation of income is taken away from you. What's the incentive to bring in big name players.

One of the most interesting parts was when Bozza said the clubs only get $5-10 from the sale of every $120 jersey. Now, may have been some may on it but goes to show why there is a reluctance from club owners to invest if all the profits from the generation of income is taken away from you. What's the incentive to bring in big name players.
When I heard that I literally did a water spit as I was drinking from my water bottle.

Absolute ridiculous and all the owners perceptions went up in my eyes.

Throwing their money away for the love pf the game and clubs and getting nothing in return. No merch, no finals money and that's only what we know
Absolute joke.

When I heard that I literally did a water spit as I was drinking from my water bottle.

Absolute ridiculous and all the owners perceptions went up in my eyes.

Throwing their money away for the love pf the game and clubs and getting nothing in return. No merch, no finals money and that's only what we know
Absolute joke.

From Tony Sage:

“As owners all we’ve ever wanted was a fair share of the pie. As we all know, the clubs created 85 per cent of the game’s revenues But got only 33 per cent back. That was just not right.”

ZEvuBIt.png

Posted this on the FJGD forum last night but thought I'd post it here as well - this is my concept for a "throwback" Glory kit set for next season. Hoping it makes its way to the Macron design department, would love to see the boys run out in this next season.​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does David Gallop keep his job? The leagues gone to **** from the moment he was appointed. The guys is poison!
Funny thing is people were talking him up when he arrived because they credited him with the Wanderers, record crowds and ratings we had at the time.

It's full of s**t, but there were lots who gave him the credit.

Funny thing is people were talking him up when he arrived because they credited him with the Wanderers, record crowds and ratings we had at the time.

It's full of ****, but there were lots who gave him the credit.

He ****ed up the NRL didn't he? Now that's two sports he's taken a dump on! The guys has a lack of foresight which is what the code needs right now and on top of that he has the personality of a tree stump. I wander what sport he'll take a dump on next when he inevitably gets sacked! Tennis, Cricket, Volleyball... He's poison and should be removed asap and the FFA should finally bite the bullet let go of the fear of the past and bring in someone that understands and loves 'Sokkah' Football! bringing in an outsider clearly hasn't worked and its been three times now!

Last edited:
ZEvuBIt.png

Posted this on the FJGD forum last night but thought I'd post it here as well - this is my concept for a "throwback" Glory kit set for next season. Hoping it makes its way to the Macron design department, would love to see the boys run out in this next season.​

I like it, and dislike it. Purple and white are a great combo, i think the sunray spikes are too big

He ****** up the NRL didn't he? Now that's two sports he's taken a dump on! The guys has a lack of foresight which is what the code needs right now and on top of that he has the personality of a tree stump. I wander what sport he'll take a dump on next when he inevitably gets sacked! Tennis, Cricket, Volleyball... He's poison and should be removed asap and the FFA should finally bite the bullet let go of the fear of the past and bring in someone that understands and loves 'Sokkah' Football! bringing in an outsider clearly hasn't worked and its been three times now!

The very first act of rugby league's independent commission was to sack Gallop.

How he hoodwinked the FFA into signing him remains one of the sports great mysteries. How he's kept it for so long is a straight up mind*.

They'll get their wish next year.

Also, read this...
"There is one month left until the June 30 deadline for the A-League’s independence from the FFA to be settled. What it looks like or whether that deadline is met remains to be seen. The Herald understands there is some reticence from FFA about full independence because it may give Fox Sports a legal opening to renegotiate the A-League’s broadcast deal."

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/ffa-board-member-apologises-to-stajcic
https://footballtoday.news/features/we-got-it-wrong-ffa-and-heather-reid

‘We got it wrong’ on Alen Stajcic: FFA and Heather Reid

If heads don't roll for this then what hope does the game in this country have, clearly they've only done this as a means to avoid some huge payout. Absolute disgrace.

What a bunch of useless morons!
Surely Gallop must go now after that statement? It’s just been *up after * up with him at the helm.

What a bunch of useless morons!
Surely Gallop must go now after that statement? It’s just been ****up after **** up with him at the helm.
If they're not going to tell Heather Reid to jog on then Gallop is safe. They've obviously said if she takes the hit personally and deflects the blame away from the FFA then she can still have a job.

If this story isn't made into the biggest thing sporting scandal in the FFA's history you know they've put the hard word on every journalist that covers soccer in this country.

This article dated Feb 12th. Several weeks after Heather Reids comments below. So for him (Slater) to stick his neck out he must have been 100% sure there wasn't something bad as alluded to below. Why then has this taken so long and I wonder what those pundits who sided with Heather Reid and the FFA will say now. Remember there were certain people suggesting that only a few slected journos knew the whole story. I might do some digging later and see who they were.

“Whilst I am not across all of the facts, what I would say is we need an independent investigation right now, just to work out exactly what has occurred and make sure everyone has conducted themselves appropriately,” he said.
While Foster stopped short of calling for Stajcic to be reinstated as Matildas coach, Fox Sports analyst Robbie Slater was more aggressive and demanded FFA reinstate Stajcic as Matildas coach.
“I think he (Stajcic) should be reinstated, I think there should be an apology from FFA — put your hand up — and say ‘we got it wrong’,” Slater said on Fox Sports News.
“Those who held this vendetta need to be brought to account, whether that is Luke Casserly (head of national teams) or Emma Highwood (head of high performance), or whoever it may be, they need to be held to account if it was their decision.”

The below was from January 22nd article in SMH, from Heather Reid:

"It's a pity that there aren’t more parents and players prepared to speak up about some of his behaviour," Reid said. "If people knew the actual facts, they would be shocked. I can refer you to some people who were involved with the Green and Gold Army who were in Jordan for the Asian Cup and talked to parents and heard their concerns about the welfare of their daughters. And talk to players about their situation in the team.
"The whole thing is getting extremely ugly by pointing the finger at certain women who have had a large positive impact on the game while people won’t look in the mirror or their own backyard."

Hey look everyone. What Staj scandal? Here's 10 minutes of Sam Kerr highlights.

Used to think these people were incompetent, but this is clearly worse. Dragging a bloke through the mud over who knows what. The timing of this all coming out now just before the World Cup and not months ago as it should have just makes it even more comical.

Fold the ******* code. This Stajcic bull s**t is the last straw. This board couldn't organise a root in a brothel, every one of their heads should roll over this.

And not one of them will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back