Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Counterpoint:

Last season, the Reds finished 25 points off top spot and played in the Champions League final.

This season, they finished 1 point off top spot and will play in the Champions League final, perhaps even win it this time.

That's an acceptable upward trajectory,

It's hard to believe, but this was Naby Keita's, Allison Becker's and Fabinho's first year at Liverpool. Yep! It was VVD's first 18 months too, and look at the improvement in Joe Gomez and Joel Matip since his arrival. Trent AA is 20. No one bar Milner is nearing retirement and if he doesn't go home, he looks like he will play with us forever, tough sonovabitch that he is.

There's not one area that you could perceive as a weakness, how long have Reds fans waited to say that? No longer vulnerable at set plays or weak with corners, not one player in the first 11 we'd like to replace. Whenever I hear of players we're reportedly bringing in, no matter their pedigree, I'm always asking myself "Yeah but when/where would he play?" - that's a good sign. No one looks likely to defect to a "bigger" club. The manager doesn't look like he wants to leave, he's just signed a contract extension.

Off field the club is in the best health maybe it's ever been in, and we've been able to splash real cash for whomever we like for the last 2 years.

Robbo says "Man City know we are here to stay", Dejen says "We're coming!"

So finishing the 18-19 Premier League in 2nd place - 25 points higher than Chelsea in 3rd - is disappointing as a result, as part of the journey it's pretty cool. Now for that all important final 5% extra improvement.
A couple of great posts Austinn! I think the World Cup took it’s toll but you could argue that for City as well. I’d like to see us bring in another forward that we can rotate through the front three consistently, not just as back up. The front three work really hard and there were occasions that you could see Firmino and Salah had lost their edge.
That flat spot around January was disappointing. That’s when City dropped points as well. It’s something Klopp will no doubt prepare for.
I’m really looking forward to next season. There’s still some upside in that team. Ox back. Trent, Robbo, Gomez, Keita and Fabinho can all improve/grow. Maybe Origi.
It’s possible City have peaked, at least I’m hoping so!

A couple of great posts Austinn! I think the World Cup took it’s toll but you could argue that for City as well. I’d like to see us bring in another forward that we can rotate through the front three consistently, not just as back up. The front three work really hard and there were occasions that you could see Firmino and Salah had lost their edge.
That flat spot around January was disappointing. That’s when City dropped points as well. It’s something Klopp will no doubt prepare for.
I’m really looking forward to next season. There’s still some upside in that team. Ox back. Trent, Robbo, Gomez, Keita and Fabinho can all improve/grow. Maybe Origi.
It’s possible City have peaked, at least I’m hoping so!

The points made by Austinn and your good self are more than valid. It’s an interesting point that you make about Salah & Firmino having “lost their edge”. Stats-wise you are spot-on, as Mo scored 32 in 2017-18 (He was something of an “unknown quantity”) However, I would argue that the side in 2018-19 became much less “Mo-centric” and in fact became a much more rounded unit.

It’s always difficult in the wake of such a narrow loss for the title, to see anything other than LFC going all the way next season, and who could argue? City were much the better side ultimately, because it was THEY who pegged back a seven-point deficit. It was THEY who won when they had to. It’s true that they lost more games than the Reds, but they WON more and drew less.... those SEVEN draws were what “did for” Liverpool’s title prospects..... the 0-0 at Goodison Park being the last time anyone took a point from the Reds. ( a game that needed to be won, and one in which Everton almost won )

I’m not totally convinced that “City have peaked” Pep Guardiola will NEVER allow them to become complacent...... However, there are fewer coaches better at motivating their side than Herr Klopp.

Last edited:

Brian Clough must be beaming from ear to ear up there in heaven!!
It was a magical performance from the rams! Down 2-0 on agg at one point...incredible stuff. I thought Leeds were a lock for promotion, almost surreal seeing them miss out again. Villa will be pleased!

It was a magical performance from the rams! Down 2-0 on agg at one point...incredible stuff. I thought Leeds were a lock for promotion, almost surreal seeing them miss out again. Villa will be pleased!

Couldn’t have happened to a better (?) Club

Couldn’t have happened to a better (?) Club
LOL...Leeds are actually my favourite team in the Championship. But it definitely was a very Leedsy thing to do wasn't it haha

Indeed! Or to use another example almost Liverpool-esque! ;)
Will they be celebrating their 30 year anniversary next season? :p

Liverpool have “won” a lot of things..... BUT.... have to pay due deference to the TRUE “Champions of the Choke” Leeds United. 1965..... missed out on League and FA Cup from being favourites. 1970 missed out on League, European Cup ( eliminated by Celtic ) lost the FA Cup to give Chelsea their first FA Cup. BUT.... the piece de resistance (drum roll) the 1973 FA Cup Final!!!!! Losing to “mighty”(?) Sunderland!

I guess we can add another name to the “Chokers Hall of Shame”...... Perth Glory Spend the better part of the season atop the A League ladder. Qualify to host the Grand Final in front of a partisan 56k crowd. Still manage to lose in a penalty shootout!
Almost ALP-esque?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting and informative read! Thank you for sharing it Sunny3193
I love the way that wee “americanisms” creep into the article e/g “when the ball is deflected over the end line, a corner is awarded to the attacking side” ...... the END line? 🥴

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For all you Liverpool fans destined to be disappointed in Madrid (COYS), a really interesting article for you from the New York Times.
Thanking me in advance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

A great article! It’s my feeling that stats can only go so far in achieving success. I’m old enough to remember the era of Din Revie’s Leeds United side of the mid sixties-seventies. Revie was a stickler for compiling and maintaining “dossiers” on all Leeds’ opponents. This was heralded at the time as “revolutionary” and to be fair, it did result in Leeds United winning lots of games..... albeit in an ugly manner. However, the side proved to be perennial “chokers” in the games that MATTERED 1965 FA Cup Final and league championship for one. Algorithms and dossiers and stats are well and good........ until you meet a side that wants the win more than you!

A great article! It’s my feeling that stats can only go so far in achieving success. I’m old enough to remember the era of Din Revie’s Leeds United side of the mid sixties-seventies. Revie was a stickler for compiling and maintaining “dossiers” on all Leeds’ opponents. This was heralded at the time as “revolutionary” and to be fair, it did result in Leeds United winning lots of games..... albeit in an ugly manner. However, the side proved to be perennial “chokers” in the games that MATTERED 1965 FA Cup Final and league championship for one. Algorithms and dossiers and stats are well and good........ until you meet a side that wants the win more than you!

There’s probably an algorithm for desire!

Heading to the Impy with a few mates on Saturday night. Getting in early because it'll get to capacity pretty quickly. Nerves definitely kicked in.

Watching on Optus here in the living room. Should be a great match, but there again.... two top-four EPL sides who know each other’s game? Hmmmmmm? I guess for the supporters of each club the result is everything, however that is achieved. In some ways, the break between the final EPL match, and this week’s UCL final could be of some concern to both coaches.... momentum and all that.... Spurs come into this match with absolutely nothing to lose, and to my way of thinking, should play to that strength. Liverpool are almost unbackable favourites, and if it was anyone else, I’d look on that as something of a burden in such a big game...... there again, this IS Liverpool we’re talking about! May the best team win!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back