Workshop Cricket Kit Designs/Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

They really are utterly terrible - looks as if there was a designer who had a good idea, and then the manager and Cricket Australia wanted their ideas integrated and it just became a mess.

Also f**k me, that font is horrid.

I miss the 1995-2007 outfits. Gods, the jersey designs were strong then.
I agree, I think the execution is just a bit off the mark, it will be interesting to see what they look like on-field.
Pakistan looks like my favourite so far.

I think these raise a good point. The uniform is not a bad idea, but they have executed it very poorly in some way or another. I don’t mind the faux collar feature, but I think Darker green is a necessity on this kit.

Also f**k me, that font is horrid.

What's with cricket clubs not putting effort into their wordmarks? It's a constant reminder how nobody really cares about the 50 over format - not even team merchandisers. 'Yeah just chuck Condensed Arial on it and she'll be right'. A classic sport deserves classic design.

What's with cricket clubs not putting effort into their wordmarks? It's a constant reminder how nobody really cares about the 50 over format - not even team merchandisers. 'Yeah just chuck Condensed Arial on it and she'll be right'. A classic sport deserves classic design.

It comes down to the fact half these companies don't have actual graphic designers designing these jerseys or at least the GD doesn't get the final sign off - unsure if this applies to Asics but I know a few smaller companies where this is the case.

The more I look at this, the more I hate England's kit. It's just horrible. It's effectively one big gimmick, and that isn't what the world cup is about. For T20's, sure, that's a great kit. But this most certainly wasn't made with the intention to represent the nation, it was made to stand out and say 'look at me'. No matter if they wore a similar kit in 1992, I'm sure that one was much more subdued.

The more I look at this, the more I hate England's kit. It's just horrible. It's effectively one big gimmick, and that isn't what the world cup is about. For T20's, sure, that's a great kit. But this most certainly wasn't made with the intention to represent the nation, it was made to stand out and say 'look at me'. No matter if they wore a similar kit in 1992, I'm sure that one was much more subdued.
How is it a gimmick?

It's literally light blue with dark blue shoulders...it'd be a piss-poor T20 kit coz it's so boring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think English fans will be overly happy with that design, it's not really there to make them proud as much it there to show off.
I think your definiton of "gimmick" isn't quite right.

a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade.

It's really the opposite of that...there's no trick and it won't attract much attention coz it's nothing to write home about.

Last edited:
I think your definiton of "gimmick" isn't quite right.

It's really the opposite of that...there's no trick and it won't attract much attention coz it's nothing to write home about.
It’s most certainly there to attract attention, at the expense of representing the country properly.

It is no more a gimmick than wearing pink and God knows what other colours they have in T20s over the year.

The shirt is fine, but nothing special.

Agree on the prior point about elements. My favourite part of the Tri-Series kits circa 96-99 was the various logos on the shoulders of each team (the palm tree for the Windies, the Protea, the Fern etc...)

I don't think English fans will be overly happy with that design, it's not really there to make them proud as much it there to show off.

England fan here and not a fan of this one at all. Have loved the recent few years of ODI kits , especially the one with the red gradient at the bottom.
I can see what they've gone for with the throw back but hasn't been executed nearly as well as the Australia one this summer just gone.

That blue reminds me of this if anything. Though thats because i'm not old enough to know the kit England are throwing back to.

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 7.51.55 am.png

It’s most certainly there to attract attention, at the expense of representing the country properly.
ECB Marketing and Design Meeting:
"You know what will attract attention and get everyone keen for England to win the World Cup at home? The plainest most boring ODI kit since they wore whites back in the beginning!"

A country that has used different shades of blue (and also used red) over its ODI history is hardly misrepresented by a blue ODI kit. It's not exciting, sure, but to be fair nor are any of the others.

Does the ICC dictate the parameters that each country's WC kit must adhere to, to keep the look consistent? They all look very samey, just in different colours.
I disagree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. The only kits you could call same, same are the West Indies and New Zealand, otherwise their is quite a lot of intriguing stuff going on across the board. South Africa has gone for a nike FIFA world cup look, Australia has gone for a retro look with a shirt within a shirt, England has gone down the route of a brighter than usual throwback kit, and Sri Lanka has been the most creative of all with a lot of elements involved. Pakistan and Bangladesh look similar to each other, but the designs involved attempt to provide some flair.

Nah I don’t think so, the test shirts have the players cap number and initials stitched into them but that’d be the only major difference. Pretty sure the white ball shirts are straight off the shelf with some numbers and a name slapped on.
The Australian player shirts also have an embroidered coat of arms on them, on the retail shirts they are printed on.

I always assumed the Arial Condensed was a requirement for the CWC. No idea why you'd use it otherwise.

That being said I prefer it to the font England use right now. That Black Ops 2 font does not belong on a cricket uniform, it's heinous.

Since when did South Africa and Pakistan swap colours?
This is the first legitimate complaint I've heard about these kits on this board. Can't believe I didn't see it before but thanks very much coz now I won't be able to unsee it and it will annoy me all tournament!

I always assumed the Arial Condensed was a requirement for the CWC. No idea why you'd use it otherwise.

That being said I prefer it to the font England use right now. That Black Ops 2 font does not belong on a cricket uniform, it's heinous.
It used to be a set font unless your kit already had your country name on it like India in 2015 and then you could keep using what you had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back