FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

If you wish to be a "turn brain off when the opening credits roll" viewer, then that's your choice. Please don't try to drag the rest of us down to your level. Most of us watching this show are doing so with adult brains, which don't stop functioning, and feel a jarring sensation when they see (and hear) things that just don't make sense. You obviously don't experience that, and that's fine - please try not to demean those who do.

Many, possibly most, viewers aren't as easily satisfied as you. The show built up expectations over years of high quality story telling, only to be let down by the garbage which spewed forth from the keyboards of D&D when they wrote season 8 (and to a lesser extent season 7). This is why we feel a sense of betrayal, as these two idiots destroyed the legacy which GRRM had created.

It's like the hyperdrive attack in The Last Jedi.

The moment it happened, it was an incredible piece of film; visually stunning, perfectly soundtracked and destroyed the First Order fleet...

Then you realise it has just broken one of the key tenants of the movie universe, and should never have been allowed to occur.

I was a defender of the show last season amongst all the arguments around travel times, mystery fleet building, the weight of armour etc that went on in here. Just thought some stuff had to be overlooked in order for the story, which was in itself still intruiging, to be able to continue. But I just, as much as I have tried, been unable to overlook some of the terrible character storylines, off camera happenings that you are just supposed to go along with and inconsistencies this season. It has been jarring for anyone not wearing rose tinted glasses. It has just felt like 'lets get this sh!t done' so we can move on. The show deserved better than that given the epicness of it. I am not going to bother with tit for tat BS with the public defenders of the indefensible, but I think the overwhelming dissatisfaction of the majority of viewers speaks a lot.

Unfortunately, that's how I felt too.

After all of the build up and all of the anticipation; and after a decade of intense engagement, it felt like they just didn't give a s**t anymore, and wanted to finalise it as quickly as they could; seems like they were just over it.

I wonder why GRRM didn't reserve right to approve the final story line? Or is it because he wanted his books to have a different ending simply so didn't really care which direction the show went?

Even if he wanted the books to go a different direction, he could still have final say on the show story line maybe?

Are you overly unhappy with the way in which Jorah died, though?
In the scheme of the episode, I thought it was reasonably fitting for his arc.
Yes, and no.

I'm happy that he died defending his beloved Khaleesi. It was indeed a fitting end to his story arc.

I'm not happy that he was killed by a weapon which wasn't actually capable of penetrating the armour plating he was wearing. Remember back to the earlier season, where he challenged the Second Son or Dothraki (?) to kill him? Their weapon failed to penetrate his armour, which proved the point he was making. Consistency... not a feature of D&D's writing.

Yes, and no.

I'm happy that he died defending his beloved Khaleesi. It was indeed a fitting end to his story arc.

I'm not happy that he was killed by a weapon which wasn't actually capable of penetrating the armour plating he was wearing. Remember back to the earlier season, where he challenged the Second Son or Dothraki (?) to kill him? Their weapon failed to penetrate his armour, which proved the point he was making. Consistency... not a feature of D&D's writing.

Dothraki I think, demonstrating to them that they wouldn't just waltz into Westeros and dominate.

Ser Peter of Northwater.

Sopranos and Sienfield.

As a show though, I don't think there is any other show like it. Not a lot of other shows are polarizing but GoT is a sci-fi, fantasy, action, political drama in one and has so many strings to it. Everyone comes from a different perspective while also having different expectations and different levels of ability to suspend belief. It would be like putting West Wing, Band of Brothers, Lord of the rings and Rome together in a blender and making a show out of the mix.

cb38fe41a5918594259b42801b0fbca5

5-6 were still good, and had some incredible episodes within them, that carried the rest of it.
About a year ago my mate on pirate boo gifted me all the episodes and i watched it from the start
Objectively there is a drop off
Most bothering 2 me was the lame dialogue

Yes, and no.

The Dothraki bloodrider I think

Interesting take from my Physio last night; he actually liked Cersei’s death because he thought all she ever wanted was a family and in the end everything she loved was dead or got destroyed and her house literally fell apart on top of her

And the people she took off it for various reasons like Ilyn Payne and The Hound

Apologies for the random quote but strange that Ilyn Payne, who lopped her father’s head off, would be removed from her list. Unless I missed him dying.

Mountain was also on her list, but guess she gave the Hound that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has any tv show finale ever generated this much debate? I think it's because fans are sad the show is over and by discussing and analysing it lives on in our memory
social media
GOT started before all that s**t
i wonder if a show like it can be born in this environment

Apologies for the random quote but strange that Ilyn Payne, who lopped her father’s head off, would be removed from her list. Unless I missed him dying.
Its widely assumed the writers did that because the actor that portrayed him (Wilko Johnson) was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2012 (i.e after S2), and so it was assumed that he might not be alive to play Payne in further episodes, so they removed him from Arya's list.

Luckily for Wilko, he was diagnosed with a rare, less deadly form of pancreatic cancer and is still alive and well

Last edited:
The hate on the last season is energized and loud but the show started sliding around season 4-5
I was just watching 2 finalize
No no no. Season 5 was a drop maybe but 6 was great. As Kirby said battle of the bastards and winds of winter are 2 ripping back to back episodes. The door was also season 6. That was for me the cleverest the show ever was, even if it was grrms plan they used. 7 dropped again and 8 went off a cliff but it wasn't a constant slide from 4 on.

I'd have to rewatch all the way which I doubt I will now, but I think 6 would be in the top 3 seasons for mine.

Last edited:
No no no. Season 5 was a drop maybe but 6 was great. As Kirby said battle of the bastards and winds of winter are 2 ripping back to back episodes. The door was also season 6. That was for me the cleverest the show ever was, even if it was grrms plan they used. 7 dropped again and 8 went off a cliff but it was constant from 4 on.

I'd have to rewatch all the way which I doubt I will now, but I think 6 would be in the top 3 seasons for mine.
I think we mostly agree....The drop off happened
I binge watched it all last year and you can really feel it. It was like a slow downward grind for me.... Season 8 dialogue was almost comedic

About a year ago my mate on pirate boo gifted me all the episodes and i watched it from the start
Objectively there is a drop off
Most bothering 2 me was the lame dialogue
Really? What bits?

I’d like you give me one or two examples so I can have a look.

The smart one. I watched the show, enjoyed the **** out of it and didn't spend a single moment of my time being angry over it.
Smart one yet you seem to switch off your brain. The show has turned into a dumbed down soapie with cgi. Considering the quality of the first 4 seasons, how intracite the show was, how the characters had many layers, how there were coherent plot points, character arcs that meant something and intertwine with the story, etc. All of that was thrown in the garbage with season 8... hell, even the damn scriptwriters were clueless as to their story (i.e. the infamous "Dany forgot about the iron fleet" line). That sort of garbage is an insult to our intelligence, we're not 10 year olds with the attention span of a puppy.

If you like it, great. But don't pretend it wasn't horrible writing and that there was no problem with some of the choices D&D made.

I'm not talking about 8. There was a drop overall but 6 was brilliant. If it hadn't have been, the drop at the end would have been more gradual and we wouldn't be feeling so strongly about it.

No no no. Season 5 was a drop maybe but 6 was great. As Kirby said battle of the bastards and winds of winter are 2 ripping back to back episodes. The door was also season 6. That was for me the cleverest the show ever was, even if it was grrms plan they used. 7 dropped again and 8 went off a cliff but it wasn't a constant slide from 4 on.

Season 6 was just the writers desperately trying to get the BotB to be and underdog when it should have been anything but.

Smart one yet you seem to switch off your brain. The show has turned into a dumbed down soapie with cgi. Considering the quality of the first 4 seasons, how intracite the show was, how the characters had many layers, how there were coherent plot points, character arcs that meant something and intertwine with the story, etc. All of that was thrown in the garbage with season 8... hell, even the damn scriptwriters were clueless as to their story (i.e. the infamous "Dany forgot about the iron fleet" line). That sort of garbage is an insult to our intelligence, we're not 10 year olds with the attention span of a puppy.

If you like it, great. But don't pretend it wasn't horrible writing and that there was no problem with some of the choices D&D made.
So that diatribe is to say you are right and anyone who doesn’t agree is wrong?

So it was all great til season 4, skip whatever, until season 8 which was crap, so it’s then all crap? Season 6 eps 9 and 10 were crap?

Explain please?

Reckon the downfall started when Ser Barristan died. The actor begged D&D for his character to stay in the show (still alive in the books and has a big role to play) but no, tyey didn't have a bar of it.
I personally thought the decline started when the High Sparrow character was introduced in Season 5

I thought season 5 was the 3rd worst season behind 8 & 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back