Toast We triumph over Swans 80-73

Roverjg

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2014
Surf Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
A win, is a win, is a win. A great win considering our depleted line-up. This should not be underestimated based on the calibre of the players missing from last night’s game and whom are all in our Best 20 line-up.

2019 Averages:
Cox: 10 disposals; 5 marks (4 contested); 6 HO; 2 tackles; 2 goals; 1 goal assist
De Goey: 17 disposals; 6 marks; 2 centre clear; 3 tackles; 3 I50’s; 2.5 goals; 1 goal assist
Elliott: 11 disposals; 5 marks; 3 tackles; 2 I50’s; 2 goals; 2 goal assists
Langdon; 19 disposals; 6 marks; 2.5 R50’s; 2 tackles; 1 I50 per game
Adams; 24 disposals; 4 marks; 3 stoppages; 3 cc; 1.8 R50’s; 4 tackles; 5.2 I50’s; 1 goal assist
Varcoe; 11 disposals; 3 marks; 4 tackles; 2 I50’s and immense pressure
Moore; 17 disposals; 5 marks; 6 R50’s; 1.5 tackles; 1.5 I50’s and 82% DE

If one looked at the stats it looked as if it was a blow-out game for the Pies, however, the game was anything but.
+1 tackles
+9 Stoppages
+11 Clearances
+16 Inside 50’s
+42 Hit outs

Pendles was a stand-out and hardly wasted a possession. He had 29 possessions; 16 contested; 73% DE; 9 tackles; 11 clearances; 7 stoppages and 1 goal

Greenwood was great all night with 21 disposals; 7 contested; 11 marks; 2 R50’s; 4 I50’s at 62% DE

Grundy was epic with 18 disposals; 14 contested; 5 marks; 64 hit outs; 8 tackles; 11 clearances; 4 stoppages; 4 R50’s at 61% DE.

Mayne was ever reliable with 20 disposals; 5 contested; 7 marks; 5 tackles; 3 clearances; 3 stoppages; 1 goal at 90% DE.

Brown continues to grow, his sure hands, acceleration, and goal sense were wonderful. He finished with 15 disposals; 5 contested; 9 tackles; 5 I50’s; 2 clearances and 2 goals.

Our forward line was non-functional. This was also confirmed by the I50 to goal ratio which showed last night’s game was the worst for the year. Only 17% of our I50’s resulted in a goal (compared to 23% for Sydney), well down on our season average of 24.1% (or basically 1 in every 4 I50’s results in a goal. Our goal kicking accuracy was also our worst for the season at 39%.

Hence the impact the loss of Cox (2 goals a game at 60% goal kicking accuracy); De Goey (2.5 goals a game at 51% goal kicking accuracy) and Elliott (2 goals a game at 69% goal kicking accuracy) has on the side. Cox has been replaced by Reid (34% goal kicking accuracy), coupled with the significant drop in goal kicking accuracy by Josh Thomas (70% in 2018 to 44% in 2019).

A few people have already written Jack Madgen off. But in fairness to the boy, he is not supposed to be a KPD at 192cms. In his corresponding game against the Swans in R20 last season, he was our KPD when Moore went down in the first quarter (did not return), and we were already without Dunn and Howe. Last night, we were without Moore and Langdon.

I am not sure what to make of Rupert Wills. They played him forward and midfield and he did some good things. He had 11 possessions (6 contested); 2 clearances; 2 stoppages; 3 tackles at 82% DE at just over 50% game time. He is not quick.

Treloar, Phillips and Crisp had plenty of the ball but butchered it by foot. Treloar had 18 kicks at 18% kicking efficiency with 5 direct turnovers. Phillips had 14 kicks for 21% kicking efficiency. Crisp was better with 44% kicking efficiency with his 17 kicks.

Sidey had a rare off night.

Despite this, we won and in the end it doesn’t matter how we win.

If it is his last game, very glad to see Wells ply his trade again. One of the classiest I’ve seen.

Hopefully just a knock but not convinced.
Was he trying to knock his patella back in place? That’s happened before from memory though not sure who it was? How serious would that injury be as in weeks missed?

Grundy is a a champion but Moore could go to FF and kick 8!

Its the one area of Grundys game that has big room for improvement dropping forward and getting a few goals. He's great defensively and in ruck.
When you spend Somerville 99% if game time in the ruck it doesn’t leave much time to go forward.

Was he trying to knock his patella back in place? That’s happened before from memory though not sure who it was? How serious would that injury be as in weeks missed?
That’s what it looked like at first glance, but on the replay it didn’t look like it was dislocated before he banged on his knee. Also from what I was told his knee would have blown up pretty quickly and have been very sore to walk on afterwards, but he was walking pretty freely with no ice on the knee after the game so fingers crossed it’s relatively minor.

ride56

Enforcer
Dec 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thank **** for Brodie Grundy, he was simply magnificent - and Scott Pendlebury was a general with ball in hand.

We have issues though, depth issues.

All of Wills, Reid, Magden are certainly not up to it. Whilst at the top end of town Dayne Beams is completely no-where.

Need Moore, De Goey & Adams back in the side ASAP.

Geez we have 8 or more of our best 22 out (again), we win (again) and you're saying our depth is terrible?? We still have Goldsack, Sier in the magoos too. Cant please some ha

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Geez we have 8 or more of our best 22 out (again), we win (again) and you're saying our depth is terrible?? We still have Goldsack, Sier in the magoos too. Cant please some ha

The three I mentioned are at best VFL footballers, which is an issue if they're needed at the pointy end of the season - but where did I use the word 'terrible'?

Amazing response.

Last edited by a moderator:

ride56

Enforcer
Dec 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think that’s kind of the issue with Greenwood being down back. He can win the ball and goes hard but then you worry about the kick. Lacks a bit of pace to play on quick smalls. His skills suit midfield best.
The kicking can be a liability at times but if he learns his limits, like Langdon, should be fine. Also he is hardly snail slow he has kept up with the best before, and they don't have that far to run down there ;). He does rotate through mid like Aish. His experience and footy smarts is a big asset I reckon. Maybe Quaynor will take his place at some point though

ride56

Enforcer
Dec 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are you thick? lol.

The three I mentioned are at best VFL footballers, which is an issue if they're needed at the pointy end of the season - but where did I use the word 'terrible'?

Amazing response.
Wow, speaking of amazing response - getting abusive when someone disagrees with you is a true sign of insecurity. Wipe your eyes sister

I noticed Aish was very calm and composed last night.

Felt safe every time the ball was in his hands.

Roughead Huge. Howe nowhere near his best. Crisp is a gun.

Madgen though? Bloody glad we got away with it!

Haven't seen this kind of Collingwood list in my life. The players we have coming back is insane. Derek Hine, Rendell, and co. They work well together.

Buckley deserves tons of credit too. He has really built a great system and a great environment. He loves the players and the players love him. I think that's the single most important thing as a coach, even more important than match tactics. If you don't have the players, and the players don't have you, then they're suddenly not playing for the jumper.
It feels like at the Collingwood footy club at this very point in time, everyone is at the club with a purpose and also a hunger to win. The on field coherence is superb too. (This is a team that hates to lose. Plain and simple.)

I also rate Sanderson as a coach. Don't know too much about the others at CFC to have a detailed opinion so I won't comment on them.

I have a good feeling after watching that game, yes it wasn't pretty but we have already shown we can play some gorgeous football. My feelings of positivity have come from the last 3 weeks of our footy where it hasn't exactly all gone our way, yet we have shown the determination and desire to get over the line.

I really like this club the current point in time, I honestly find it hard to believe that things would turn out like this after the dark time we went through, but this team here should be good for a few years at least.
Need to grab a flag or two.

I don't know, I don't want to come off like I'm riding the club. But I'm really enjoying the journey this year.

JM#1

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
In a weird way I was almost happy to be losing at quarter time because it meant we had to finally have a decent 2nd quarter. It was a more even performance I felt.

On a side note I thought Aish and in particular Greenwood were very good. Also I'm excited to see Brown develop. I'm sensing he is going to be a gun.

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
In a weird way I was almost happy to be losing at quarter time because it meant we had to finally have a decent 2nd quarter. It was a more even performance I felt.

On a side note I thought Aish and in particular Greenwood were very good. Also I'm excited to see Brown develop. I'm sensing he is going to be a gun.
Yep, 10 scoring shots to 2 in the second. Unfortunately it was 4.6 to 2.0, we really could have put them away.

Moore had blonde hair and ankle straps....flashy! Grundy is a battering ram, a gladiator, a one man clearance machine. He'd take Peter Moore after a few contests. Moore was great....but this bloke's something completely different.
Really hard to compare the two.
One a true athlete, better over head mark, quicker over the ground and could go forward and kick goals, Grundy is slightly better tap ruckman, better in close and getting his own ball.
Moore was very good in his time, as is Grundy now. Hard to separate between the two as they both had there good and minor points, and different game styles. Just liked the fact they are collingwood champions or both will be

Last edited:
So David King (on SEN) thinks its unhealthy the way we win

FMD, this clown actually gets paid for his meanderings

David King would not have a F**king Clue.

I feel better he said that s**t

5th in line or not---i'd rather give games to Kelly who couldn't do as any worse and he's as skinny as they come.
Goldsack was a far better option to play in defence last night.

Kelly won't be playing for sometime as looked like he did a Bad Hammy in the VFL Today

Seriously sat with all these Swans retirees. They didn't barrack all night, and keep shaking their heads and scowling at me, whenever I opened my mouth. Like when the head mistress makes you feel guilty even if you have done something right. It was definitely one of my quieter nights, I can promise that. They were very happy to keep things quiet, even when their team kicked goals. They all walked out early, and said well done afterwards. I said I wouldn't be there next week. One of the old biddies said "thank god for that!". Very strange atmosphere. I can say I have been, but I don't think I'll go again.

Agree with this. I've only been to the SCG once to see us play the Swans - in 2016 - and I didnt enjoy it at all (and we lost). Strange atmosphere. I'm an anxious white-knuckle fan, who never relaxes until we're 10 goals up at the 25 minute mark of the last quarter! But the Sydney fans that night, they were out for a bit of fun. Singing along at the breaks, drinking their white wine, even turning their back on the game to chat. Geezus! Footy isn't fun, its life and death! Didnt feel at all like a footy game.

Back