Autopsy Swans Vs Pies - Round 10, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Have heard a bit of this since the game finished. What incidents are you blokes up in arms about? Watching on tv the umpiring appeared absolutely fine. Clear 50m against Rampe if that’s the one you are upset about, he was 3m over the mark. The brown goal was a howler, he ran about 25m. The only other howler in the last quarter that I saw was the non free to Grundy when Sinclair pushes him in the back and out of the contest to allow Blakey to mark and goal early in the quarter. Otherwise they let it flow and i thought it was superbly umpired. Frees were pretty even over the night , and I thought the only thing that really kept it close to the end was the lies poor finishing . Really should have been over at half time . It’s easy to crucify the umps, but they had no bearing on the result night
So you were totally fine with Roughead deliberately slapping the ball out of bounds in a soft contest with Franklin and more than ok with the mark paid to the Collingwood player that clearly hit the ground on the wing? Excuse 1...couldn’t see the ball, excuse 2...couldn’t see the ball.

Enjoy the win of your perfectly ok umpired game of football!

We were almost worse off with Buddy in the forward line. He's never been a good contested mark but we're sitting him at full forward I'm assuming due to his fitness. Hopefully we do push him up the wing with Reid & McCartin being our FF&CHF

We are always worse off with Buddy in the forward line. Entries become a shambles and our forward 50 descends into chaos.

He really is a case of can't live with him, can't live without him.

Another encouraging performance although Collingwood are clearly a better team than us at the moment.

When Hewett and Kennedy went off it was always going to be hard to get over them, thought Parker battled on valiantly and has been very good in the past month. But was never going to beat the Pies midfield by himself in the last quarter. Did think Lloyd looked a bit better when he was further up the ground near the contest.

Aliir was fantastic against Ben Reid, beat him cold in one-on-ones throughout the night. Rampe continued his very good form but unfortunately just a weird unit, seems to think creatively for his own good. Very costly 50 at the end.

Ryan Clarke for the second week in a row shut down a very good mid in Sidebottom which is a great outcome for the team. Seems to be finding his niche.

The forward line is a bit of a dilemma with Buddy. When he's in he obviously attracts the best defender and which makes forward match ups hard for the opposition as Reid is able to get someone like Howe who is a lot smaller or an inexperienced defender. But our delivery does seem less efficient and we probably don't lower the eyes as much. Our smalls and younger forwards weren't able to get into the game asides from Papley who created a few chances.

Had our chances to win, disappointing that we couldn't take them with Hayward burning Blakey in the last, Thurlow should've killed the ball in that contest with Mayne when kicked the arsey goal out of midair just a few moments. All a learning experience and hopefully they'll be better next time around.
You can clearly see that he tried and trying doesn’t always pay off. I had no problem with that effort. Giving away frees in front of goals is where we’re not learning from...too many easy goals!

And may he forever continue to have the confidence to do so. That's in no way a negative in my opinion but one of his strengths. Players drop some of those including the likes of Jeremy Howe. We can't complain about flair being coached out of them and then wish for it at the same time.
It bugs me when he's selfish.. Example turned his back to blakey who was running to the goal square. Needs to do team things even if he's playing s**t. No self preservation mode please.

It bugs me when he's selfish.. Example turned his back to blakey who was running to the goal square. Needs to do team things even if he's playing ****. No self preservation mode please.

He isn't selfish, doesn't have a pattern of it puts his body on the line for the team whilst being lightly framed. Does one act perceived as selfish and posters labelling him for it. He made an error in judgement in taking the responsibility of the kick and not staying alert to other opportunities. If he skies the kick to Blakey in the rush and it gets spoilt he then cops it worse. He failed to kick the goal, was a disappointing clutch moment but lay off the character assassination he will hopefully learn from it.

He isn't selfish, doesn't have a pattern of it puts his body on the line for the team whilst being lightly framed. Does one act perceived as selfish and posters labelling him for it. He made an error in judgement in taking the responsibility of the kick and not staying alert to other opportunities. If he skies the kick to Blakey in the rush and it gets spoilt he then cops it worse. He failed to kick the goal, was a disappointing clutch moment but lay off the character assassination he will hopefully learn from it.

100% this.

Hayward tried his guts out all game but ultimately had a shocker. But instead of commending him for not going into his shell and just giving up, we decide to bash him because he kept trying things. I don’t have any issue with a young player maintaining confidence in themselves even after a poor game. To me that speaks volumes about his character.

selfish is wrong word,but when you miss it and burn a team mate its costly

ultimately id rather he back himself though

Visited little sis in hospital today. Old fella in opposite bed also a Swans fan, neither of their tv’s were working last night.

Spent an hour going back and going back and forth with me describing the game this arvo. Got grilled, Reid’s 6 goals got the stunned mullet expression. Lolz.

Not a bad way to while away the time all when it’s all said and done.

Not a character assassination buddy, I like him as a player.. I'm not going off a single play, something I've noticed from time to time.

Visited little sis in hospital today. Old fella in opposite bed also a Swans fan, neither of their tv’s were working last night.

Spent an hour going back and going back and forth with me describing the game this arvo. Got grilled, Reid’s 6 goals got the stunned mullet expression. Lolz.

Not a bad way to while away the time all when it’s all said and done.
Well done. I bet your commentary was better than Fox. I hope you exaggerated the highlights, skipped the lowlights, blamed the umps, added some 'if onlys' and ended on a brave note of future promise to give him something to look forward to.

Also hope your lil sis gets better soon. Hospital is not a happy place to be.

100% this.

Hayward tried his guts out all game but ultimately had a shocker. But instead of commending him for not going into his shell and just giving up, we decide to bash him because he kept trying things. I don’t have any issue with a young player maintaining confidence in themselves even after a poor game. To me that speaks volumes about his character.
Yes he made the wrong choice but I'm with you on this one. All forwards are a bit greedy for a goal. It's instinct, it's in their nature. It's part of being a successful forward and that instinct is only tempered by their training. Yet sometimes it's when they do the team thing and dish off that things come undone. I would have preferred Reid to kick for his 7th given his red hot form. I'd have also preferred that Papley didn't try to skid through that long range goal instead of looking for a better option but it's all easy in retrospect. If Hayward had slotted the goal nothing would be said and he'd be a hero.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see everyone has now turned on Hayward, now that Reid kicked 6. Oh and the kicker, Buddy makes our forward line dysfunctional!! Give me a spell, Buddy being Buddy allows Reid to get 2nd/3rd best defender. Seriously people!!

I think most posters are pretty balanced and realise that if players weren't pulling their weight they wouldn't be playing. Everyone's entitled to a bad day. Sometimes it's easy to miss how much a player is doing off the ball, one percenters, tackles, blocks, running to space, clearing space for others and so on. It's a team sport after all and relies on the whole team contributing their best efforts.

Bloody good effort by the boys. Commentators ranted on about how many the Pies had out but we had more and better players out. Half of our injured are All-Australiansn not fringe dwellers. Would have loved a win against the filth but our young team should take a lot of heart from this game. Buddy will get better with a run of injury free games but more importantly our young forwards will keep developing. Horse has been using plans A - Z as we find ways to get back into games and the team have adapted their game style on the fly, despite a lack of senior leaders. Clarke has found a real niche as a run with player. Kennedy is refreshed (and I hope not too badly injured). Hewett has come of age. Dawson emerging. Heeney, Papley, Hayward, Florent are all becoming ore consistently good. Pressure from the NEAFL keeping eveeryone on their toes. I reckon the mood in the camp must be very positive. These guys would be realising by now that if they pull together and stick together they are going to be unstoppable. The Bloods once more reincarnated. I'm convinced this will be a team we'll talk about for decades.

You can clearly see that he tried and trying doesn’t always pay off. I had no problem with that effort. Giving away frees in front of goals is where we’re not learning from...too many easy goals!
Yeah not blaming him, just one of many moments in the game that frustratingly could’ve gone our way and been the difference with a little more polish or poise. In terms of free kicks it’s rather annoying that Bud up the other end gets scragged constantly without being paid. Not something in our control though, and discipline inside defensive 50 is always crucial.

I get more annoyed when the kick that transitions our defence to attack hits an opposition player 70-80m out and results in a dangerous turnover, especially where we're caught out of position. Those kicks often cost us a goal both ways. We still have too many costly turnovers even when we're not under much pressure. More often than not it's poor ball use by our mids. Our disposal efficiency is 13th ranked.

i think Rampe Aliir and Melican is becoming a nice trio, melican has work to do, but think he is getting there

we need to stop the ball being down there so often that will help

Rampe leads the defence as well as taking on the best forward. Given the stress I can forgive the odd brain fade.

i think Rampe Aliir and Melican is becoming a nice trio, melican has work to do, but think he is getting there

we need to stop the ball being down there so often that will help
I reckon AA is getting close to AA contention

Remove this Banner Ad

Back