Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
IMG_20190518_070349.jpg

Yeah it’s so obvious, when he is rushed he sometimes passes the ball half a second before he gets tackled (I haven’t seen him break a tackle like dusty or Breust would) and results in bad kick or handball that results in a turnover or he puts his teammate under immense pressure by passing the footy to them when the opposition has a player right next to the guy and usually they get tackled, and he takes too long to dispose the ball, yeah u could excuse him if he was a beautiful kick like hodge/Mitchell but he’s not...I cringe a bit when he has the ball, espically when he is forced to have a contented possession, seems like hell either turn the ball over, or put his teammate in to extreme danger when he passes to them and I noticed he can’t pick up the ball very well, esp when he’s running, even franklin or roughy can/could pick up the ball easier on the run or bending over to pick it up and they got like 20cm in height over him? Usually the small guys pick up the ball easier no? Example , Cyril. Hope he improve, I really do, we need another good midfielder
Bit harsh on what is Worps 1st full season (thus far) and he is only 20 with well under 50 games xp.
Punky and Dusty, who both have around 200 games xp might be better at executing a fend off or breaking a tackle but the young man shows enough that in time he can be a master of the skill too. As for picking up the ball on the run . . . . .he's got duckwood covered in that area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

He has been approached by GeeLOL on two occasions with the second being just after he signed his contract extension.

They're coming hard at the kid which maybe we could use to our advantage.

By no means would I like to see the kid leave because he's going to develop into an absolute beast, however if we received Nakia Cockatoo and their 1st Round Selection this year would it soften the blow?

If they want him then we make them pay handsomely for him.

If he was that keen to go to Geelong why sign an extension with us? They’d have made their interest known long before then.

Anyway he won’t go cheap and I doubt we’re going to entertain it for anything less than overs.

Worpel should remember that he was our first selection in his draft year, while he wasn’t even in Geelong’s first three.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If he was that keen to go to Geelong why sign an extension with us? They’d have made their interest known long before then.

Anyway he won’t go cheap and I doubt we’re going to entertain it for anything less than overs.

Worpel should remember that he was our first selection in his draft year, while he wasn’t even in Geelong’s first three.

It's not a case of him wanting to leave but a case of them being persistent with their approach.

They made a mistake in not drafting him and they know it.

Let's hope that he remembers the fact they overlooked him on 3 occasions before we picked him up.

It's not a case of him wanting to leave but a case of them being persistent with their approach.

They made a mistake in not drafting him and they know it.

Let's hope that he remembers the fact they overlooked him on 3 occasions before we picked him up.
Persistence is irrelevant if he doesn’t want to leave though.

When was the last time we had a best 22 player want to leave that wasn’t doing so to live in a different state?

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Persistence is irrelevant if he doesn’t want to leave though.

When was the last time we had a best 22 player want to leave that wasn’t doing so to live in a different state?

Pretty much and let's hope that he continues to knock the filth back.

I do think you've misunderstood my position on the situation though, I'm wanting the kid to bloody well stay put!

Also if for some reason you're doubting this then go and check the discussions I've had with GeeLOL supporters on the Peter Wright thread on the Drafts and FA board which will confirm what I've said.

Pretty much and let's hope that he continues to knock the filth back.

I do think you've misunderstood my position on the situation though, I'm wanting the kid to bloody well stay put!

Also if for some reason you're doubting this then go and check the discussions I've had with GeeLOL supporters on the Peter Wright thread on the Drafts and FA board which will confirm what I've said.
I know you want him to stay. I was addressing the suggestion that Geelong’s persistence will be an issue. They can chase him all they like but this isn’t the kind of thing where one day he’ll just be like “ok fine, I’ll play for you”. If he’s happy at Hawthorn and can remain happy here then there isn’t really any reason he’d leave for Geelong.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jimmy has other ambitions and it will be as a HFC PLAYER.
The young man comes from extremely good stock.
Clarko has spent time with them.
He understands the pressure.
The kid also knows they overlooked him.

James will play 200 games for the HFC, could well be a Captain. Wants to be a member of the next HFC midfield that delivers the next silverware.

They are his goals.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I call BS on the above rumour. No player likely to leave signs an extension until the end of 2021. If he was uncontracted I might have been worried.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I call BS on the above rumour. No player likely to leave signs an extension until the end of 2021. If he was uncontracted I might have been worried.
Managers prefer players to ‘make it’ before they leave clubs. Bigger payday. They all do it. They wait until end of second contract at least. If they leave early and struggle with injury they risk being punted. They also give up the payday opportunity of free agency. You would have to be seriously homesick or hate the club you are at to leave so early in your career.

Not saying he is leaving though!

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jimmy has other ambitions and it will be as a HFC PLAYER.
The young man comes from extremely good stock.
Clarko has spent time with them.
He understands the pressure.
The kid also knows they overlooked him.

James will play 200 games for the HFC, could well be a Captain. Wants to be a member of the next HFC midfield that delivers the next silverware.

They are his goals.

Have no connections but this is absolutely the impression I get from James. Seems so driven to succeed at HFC and has stated that he wants to play his entire career with us before.

I think he really loves the club and the boys, he seems so happy with us. Just from watching his behaviour on social media and in Hawthorn videos etc. he is always hanging out with the other boys at the club in his spare time. Seems a very loving character too, despite his killer nature on a footy field. He’s always hugging someone in photos and videos, like with Moore after his first game against Geelong.

Also appears to have developed a special bond with Sam Mitchell which I absolutely love.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Managers prefer players to ‘make it’ before they leave clubs. Bigger payday. They all do it. They wait until end of second contract at least. If they leave early and struggle with injury they risk being punted. They also give up the payday opportunity of free agency. You would have to be seriously homesick or hate the club you are at to leave so early in your career.

Not saying he is leaving though!

Yes you are right. Good Managers tend to do this. Young Cera is a fine example. Advised to bide his time I hear.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

So you're calling BS on GeeLOL making contact on multiple occasions trying to poach him with his response being GAGF are you?

If you read my post correctly then you will see that you are clearly wrong.

They have been making an effort to sway his mind but to the kids credit he's remained loyal which is a testament to his character.

Hopefully he continues his animosity towards them as from what I've been told he was livid that they overlooked him on 3 occasions prior to us snapping him up.

Has all the traits to not only become an absolute weapon for us but also a future leader.

There's nothing but upside with this kid and once we add Mitchell and other possible inclusions to our side for next season watch him breakout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back