Review Positives and Negatives - Raining Premiers vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps tackles on its own isn't generally an accurate statistic of pressure or performance (we can only dream of the statistics that clubs can access). Though today, probably helped by the conditions, it clearly was.

Similar reason as to why some coaches don't look at contested possessions as a critical indicator; there are so many aspects to the contest and facets to the stat itself that we don't see.
The reality of it is that if we have the ball we are the ones being tackled.
If we have to tackle it means that the opposition have beat us to the ball. Games where we dominate. it stands to reason that our tackle count would be down.

- I'm working so can't watch the game, check the game day thread during the 2nd qtr and read the melts including some from those who consider themselves as beyond reproach in football analysis.
+ work late, have a few beers and check the score an hour or so after the game ended and hallelujah we won.
Get to watch the game stress free on Kayo while drinking some tasty brews.
Shueys last qtr was enormous, Gaff probably played his best game of the year and Yeo and Sheed did the business.
Our blue collar midfield is way under rated.
Even Nelson did his job, didn't excel but didn't f**k up.

All stats are bullshit to some degree. Even goals. Kennedy only kicked 3 but they were big in a game wth limited chances and he beat Talia to get them.

I don't know what stats Shuey put up in the last but he was huge. Those clearances where he bursts away and kicks a 60m drop punt inside 50 are gold. Not all clearances are created equal.

+ As I'm watching the replay, Schofield who seemed flat and out-of-form when we last saw him, was actually quite good I thought. Haven't seen him mentioned. Thoughts?

+ As I'm watching the replay, Schofield who seemed flat and out-of-form when we last saw him, was actually quite good I thought. Haven't seen him mentioned. Thoughts?

Quietly did a phenomenal job. Typical old school defender game - didn’t notice him which means he did his job. Himmelburg and Walker combined for 0.1. Schoey’s best game of the season.

He was great but his opponent did assist by being an absolute squib.

They should drop Tex for Jenkins, at least Jenkins can ruck too.

I'm curious, is Walker a giant toss pot? Seems to be some banter about this, I'm not in the know with other teams other than I know and hate Cox, who I think is overrated as well as a giant prick on field. Is Walker a mouthy, niggler blowhard like Cox?

Funny to think that 18 months ago most on here (Including myself) thought that Elliot Yeo didn't have what it takes to be a midfielder. Now he's one of the most complete midfielders in the comp. Turned him self into a bull.

lol I'm guessing the correlation between those folks claiming this, and the ones saying Kelly/Ryans games won't translate to AFL is strong...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big positive that I just remembered - we got Adelaide back for our epic 2016 choke.

Up 26 in the third at Subi, season humming along nicely looking to get back to the GF, pretty sure we didn’t score for the rest of the game and got done. Cost us top four. I can finally sleep at night knowing we made up for that.

Captain vs Captain

giphy-38-gif.680573

Serious argument to be had about Shuey's status as an all time mid for the club in my opinion.

I reckon he's in top 5 territory....big call but has carried the mids for 10 years, always cops the main tag and consistently steps up in big moments......has a Norm ffs...

Entering, if not at, Cuz/Kerr/Kemp status IMO (Judd and Matera top two for me). So under recognised its crazy.

Random thoughts

I’m not going to pay out on those who melted in the game day thread that I don’t ever read - our second quarter was putrid and whilst the players deserve full credit for turning things around we’ve just got to be better than we were in those 30 minutes

The tide turned in that second quarter when the crows put milera on gov and isolated him with low kicks coming in. The adjustment to that was too slow

Nelson wasn’t a star by any stretch but he played well enough. Still no more than a depth player but nice to know he can hold his own

Missed Jetta in the second quarter when we needed good ball use to get the ball outside our defensive half

A few senior players had their best outing for the year - darling, vardy, redden and Schofield - improvement is coming

As a group our small forwards didn’t have the sort of impact you’d hope for in those conditions

Midfield group tore the game apart in the second half. They were immense and responded the way you’d hope after getting their arses handed to them in the second quarter

Should have been further in front at quarter time and wasted a couple of opportunities early in the second

Commentary was pleasingly unbiased. Thought they did a good job - interestingly pointed out several free kicks we could have received but didn’t

Oscar Allen does some really clever things - his goal to put us ahead in the last was exceptional. Very good pass into JK earlier as well

Sides would kill to have two defenders as dependable as Hurn and sheppard - very rarely are they beaten

Being 7-3 with so much room for improvement is encouraging provided we can find it

It was wet, we only took about 60 marks, Adelaide laid over 90 tackles, we lost the inside 50s and the marks inside 50, it was away from home and we ended up 33 points down in the 3rd quarter. That's a game we lose by 60+

And we won. We laid 100 TACKLES. The freaking EAGLES laid 100 tackles. Unbelievable. Elliott Yeo is in Woosha Medal threepeat form, Shuey went absolutely nuts in the last, JK is still a beast.

In Simpson we trust. I love this team.

So the Roos are headhunting Simmo for 2022 with a big offer!!? Wonder how that will pan out?
Would he step down to a smaller suburban club after the Eagles new facilities and Optus?
How deep is his loyalty to the Shinboners and Melbourne city? Homesick? Family? Will it be time to move on? A topic for another thread probably.

Negs.
- Figure09 (clearly a troll)
- the commentary was ok, just don't like Pavlich's smug-mug and his connection to the swampland known as Flogsville.
- Missed Jetta, it showed at times getting trapped in there.
- also thought the small fleet went missing at times. Rioli still warming up, but Petch and Ryan still developing in some ways, maturity, smarts.
* Pyke is a very very intense looking man.
Pos.
+ love how one of Shuey or Yeo get off the chain when they change tags
+This is a mature team now, a team of men.
+We have beasts in Hurn, Yeo, JK and Darling. (a beast centre, forward and back)
+ We have an Alpha beast named NicNat.
+What a rollercoaster ride. Lost the head off my beer and blew my wig off a couple of times!
+Doggies at home next week, we're locking in and clamping down for the business end (although remember the post-bye run 2018?)
+ Are we a gathering storm on the finals horizon?...it's looking more like it. 2 more games and we're halfway through the season?
+Masten will return. (couldn't resist)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back