Remove this Banner Ad

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
For all the justified negativity around the place at the moment I thought I'd start a thread highlighting something that I legit feel is something to be positive about. Our younger players / recruiting over the last few years. I really don't think they've made many mistakes. If you look at our list, look at form, look at who should be in most weeks, there is a strong core of a decent side coming through, they are all younger, they should all be playing. Look at them individually, these blokes are going to be the ones taking us forward from here, I have complete faith in them, at the moment. It's time.. Getting nowhere with the same old.

Rozee - say no more, speed class, legit 200 plus gamer
Duursma - looks like an experienced mature footballer already, again 200 gamer in the making
Butters - tough, no doubt he is another that's going to play a lot of footy for the club. Might be time to play him a little deeper up forward.
Howard - getting better down back all the time, growing in confidence in the air, club thinks he does some leadership skills, can swing forward, legit afl footballer.
Clurey - say no more, full back, tough, reliable
Amon - built his body up and now is a legit tough tackler. Great shot on goal, improving all the time
Spp - third year, improving. Not getting caught as much, clean up his disposal that's all, will get more of the ball going forward
Farrel - at this stage he is going to be as good as the team let's him. Not going to get a lot of it but when the team is going well he is a finisher, give him time, as a small forward in scrappy sloppy games he won't do much, but when we open it up, when we play well, he will do well. We don't have a finisher like him, as a small forward..
Billy, he will never be Tim Evans, but now he knows he a playing as a legit tall forward, time to build the upper body up. Good hands generally, good finisher, hasn't whacked a bloke in the AFL yet, but give him time... Legit second / third tall forward option going forward.
Dbj - probably still young enough to be on this list. We know what he is..
Houston - no doubt the most underrated player on our list, as far as our opponents would be concerned. Legit gun. Skilled. Tough.
Garner - a criminal offense dropping him after his impressive debut, skilled composed, tough, must play in our afl side the rest of the year. Mature head on someone with so few senior games, gun.
Atley - again must play, tough, has the burst of speed needed through the middle, reads the play so well. Willl only get better with experience and time in the middle, in our afl side.
Drew - wtf happened here. By far the most improved player in our list. Played in the middle, looked skilled and composed beyond his years. Didn't see it coming, but geez he is impressive. Must play.
Ladhams - I said by far the most improved for Drew, ladhams says hold my beer... Going to make a bold statement, could be anything this bloke. His skills and mobility for a big bloke is phenomenal. Give him 25 afl games, two more preseason to build his body, and by the start of the 2021 season we might have something pretty special.
Hayes - again looked so strong last year prior to doing his knee, look forward to seeing him back very soon. Could be anything.
Patmore - unlucky, solid first year, did his knee. Was looking at debuting this year..
Cox - I've been raving about him for a bit now. So strong for his size, knows where the goals are. Legit small forward with an AFL ready to go body. Really think we have something here..
AJ - has 10 or so games to save his career. Now one thing I've been critical about with the use of the Maggies is pigeonholing players and not mixing their roles to see what they can do elsewhere. Aj, with 10 games as a half forward will be delisted come seasons end. I'd give him 10 games off the half back line. See if he can become a running attacking half back player, who knows, might show a bit there, might save his career.
Burton - s**t I nearly forgot. Classy, gun. Legit, thanks for coming, only 21..
Pudney - running ball magnet machine, will play afl football. A wingman that can run all day, rack up big numbers. At this stage of his career, what's not to like.
Frederick - tough tackling, solid footballer. Early days but good signs.
Woodcock - getting better as the year goes on.
Marshall... How could I forget. Had the toughest couple of years. But shows so much talent, needs to build up his body and core strength, but I have no doubt he will play a lot of very good football for the club. Athletic, skilled, time is what he needs, back him in, will be a gun.

Some real talent in our younger core of players. We are at a stage where we should be playing 10-12 or even more at least in our afl side. Not just because they are young and our future, but because they are seriously in our best 22.

Time for a little positivity.. It's there...

Last edited:
Yep there’s a lot to be excited about post-Ken.

Skills are the main thing that stand out to me. Guys like Houston, Rozee, Butters, Farrell are all streets ahead of their older and more experienced counterparts. They will become the core of a very different type of Port Adelaide team in the future. A competent one.

Hoo-f@&king-ray for that.

Essentially we need to draw a line under Wines and only bring in players younger than him from this point on. If you’re older and still on the list you need to be shooting the lights out to stay on it. If you’re not, then ciao.

Got in a back and forth with a port supporter on twitter who was calling for us to go after big jerka lol wtf some people really cant see the future.

We have a very good core group to build the team around so that the next coach that comes in has a good crack at a premiership.

Clurey, Howard, Houston, Burton is a very good core defensive group. Throw in Garner, DBJ and Bonner and its a talented group. all we need there is another young KPD and its set for the future.

Duursma, Rozee, Butters, Spp, Atley, Drew is a good base for the midfield. Throw in Mead, throw in Schofield. Throw in Patmore. Throw in Pudney. Its a good group.

Forward line needs work. Marshall has talent, needs support. Woodcock could be very good. Hayes will play a lot through there early. We need another KPP pretty urgently. Farrell has talent in spades. Cox a bit of a wild card.

The core is there with some more pieces over the next 2-3 years to have another genuine flag ceack around 2022-3

For all the justified negativity around the place at the moment I thought I'd start a thread highlighting something that I legit feel is something to be positive about. Our younger players / recruiting over the last few years. I really don't think they've made many mistakes. If you look at our list, look at form, look at who should be in most weeks, there is a strong core of a decent side coming through, they are all younger, they should all be playing. Look at them individually, these blokes are going to be the ones taking us forward from here, I have complete faith in them, at the moment. It's time.. Getting nowhere with the same old.

Rozee - say no more, speed class, legit 200 plus gamer
Duursma - looks like an experienced mature footballer already, again 200 gamer in the making
Butters - tough, no doubt he is another that's going to play a lot of footy for the club. Might be time to play him a little deeper up forward.
Howard - getting better down back all the time, growing in confidence in the air, club thinks he does some leadership skills, can swing forward, legit afl footballer.
Clurey - say no more, full back, tough, reliable
Amon - built his body up and now is a legit tough tackler. Great shot on goal, improving all the time
Spp - third year, improving. Not getting caught as much, clean up his disposal that's all, will get more of the ball going forward
Farrel - at this stage he is going to be as good as the team let's him. Not going to get a lot of it but when the team is going well he is a finisher, give him time, as a small forward in scrappy sloppy games he won't do much, but when we open it up, when we play well, he will do well. We don't have a finisher like him, as a small forward..
Billy, he will never be Tim Evans, but now he knows he a playing as a legit tall forward, time to build the upper body up. Good hands generally, good finisher, hasn't whacked a bloke in the AFL yet, but give him time... Legit second / third tall forward option going forward.
Dbj - probably still young enough to be on this list. We know what he is..
Houston - no doubt the most underrated player on our list, as far as our opponents would be concerned. Legit gun. Skilled. Tough.
Garner - a criminal offense dropping him after his impressive debut, skilled composed, tough, must play in our afl side the rest of the year. Mature head on someone with so few senior games, gun.
Atley - again must play, tough, has the burst of speed needed through the middle, reads the play so well. Willl only get better with experience and time in the middle, in our afl side.
Drew - wtf happened here. By far the most improved player in our list. Played in the middle, looked skilled and composed beyond his years. Didn't see it coming, but geez he is impressive. Must play.
Ladhams - I said by far the most improved for Drew, ladhams says hold my beer... Going to make a bold statement, could be anything this bloke. His skills and mobility for a big bloke is phenomenal. Give him 25 afl games, two more preseason to build his body, and by the start of the 2021 season we might have something pretty special.
Hayes - again looked so strong last year prior to doing his knee, look forward to seeing him back very soon. Could be anything.
Patmore - unlucky, solid first year, did his knee. Was looking at debuting this year..
Cox - I've been raving about him for a bit now. So strong for his size, knows where the goals are. Legit small forward with an AFL ready to go body. Really think we have something here..
AJ - has 10 or so games to save his career. Now one thing I've been critical about with the use of the Maggies is pigeonholing players and not mixing their roles to see what they can do elsewhere. Aj, with 10 games as a half forward will be delisted come seasons end. I'd give him 10 games off the half back line. See if he can become a running attacking half back player, who knows, might show a bit there, might save his career.
Burton - **** I nearly forgot. Classy, gun. Legit, thanks for coming, only 21..
Pudney - running ball magnet machine, will play afl football. A wingman that can run all day, rack up big numbers. At this stage of his career, what's not to like.
Frederick - tough tackling, solid footballer. Early days but good signs.
Woodcock - getting better as the year goes on.
Marshall... How could I forget. Had the toughest couple of years. But shows so much talent, needs to build up his body and core strength, but I have no doubt he will play a lot of very good football for the club. Athletic, skilled, time is what he needs, back him in, will be a gun.

Some real talent in our younger core of players. We are at a stage where we should be playing 10-12 or even more at least in our afl side. Not just because they are young and our future, but because they are seriously in our best 22.

Time for a little positivity.. It's there...
Nice post and gives some balance. In a few years we could be alright.

Yes there are some great prospects as well as some good prospects in your list ozph.

But professional sports, a fair bit of the game is played between the ears. We need winners among those young players. Know what to do and can do enough of the right things that wins those close games, those big games and those games when expectations are high.

We have to get a list with enough of those type of players who will stop us being a yo yo team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back