Autopsy Round 10 Melbourne vs GWS @ MCG 1PM Sunday 26th May

Remove this Banner Ad

From Land of the Giants Preview

There's no point getting overly excited about tonight's easy win over last-placed Carlton. It didn't prove a thing.

Just about everyone chipped in and did their job, there were no passengers. TOJ had a bit of a night out kicking five and even perennial injury-list occupant Deledio got in on the act with a few goals.

But, like I said, so what? We played the cellar-dwellers at home, and won. Nothing to see here, move on.

It's next week that's going to count for something. We're back at the MCG, facing the 15th place Demons. They’ve been pretty inconsistent this year, tending to win narrowly and lose big. On paper and form we should account for them without too much trouble, but as this game is at the MCG, and the Dees were far from disgraced in their hit-out against the Eagles over in Perth, we've got far more to lose than just four points. Our reputation is a bit on the line here. We couldn’t have chosen a worse ground as a bogey venue.

For that reason, Melbourne will be “on”. They'll think they’re in with a shot before even running through the banner. The big question is what state of mind we’ll be in. We obviously set ourselves before the trip to Geelong, and that worked, surely it can’t be too hard to replicate the preparation?

We almost got through tonight's training run injury-free. Hopefully Zac William's hamstring problem isn't too severe, but he'll almost certainly miss a week or two. Mummy might be in trouble with the MRP for his collision with Murphy, although looking at the replay, I don't think there was anything untoward in it.

We must all keep the faith, but to be honest, it would be a bit of a joke if we can't account for Melbourne on Sunday.

Let's go Giants, let's go. And this time take it seriously.

1558796739850.png

1558796776192.png

Where and when: MCG, Sunday May 26, 1.10pm AEST

Last time they met: MCG, round 23, 2018: Melbourne 15.12 (102) defeated Greater Western Sydney 8.9 (57)

A five-goal third term sealed a vital top-eight scalp for Melbourne as it hurtled towards its first finals series in 12 years. Ruckman Max Gawn set the tone for the Dees, while Stephen Coniglio, who spent time forward, was the Giants' best.

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for Melbourne: A clear signal that Melbourne's season is back on track. The Demons showed signs against West Coast they were returning to their exciting 2018 form but couldn't quite get over the line.

What it means for GWS: A rare win at the MCG. Leon Cameron acknowledged the Giants' abysmal record at the ground Grand Finals are played at, and a win just two weeks later will help.

How Melbourne wins: Employing the strong defensive pressure and discipline shown against the Eagles, as well as improving their skill execution, particularly in front of goal.

How GWS wins: Shutting down James Harmes. The hard-running midfielder has been highly influential in the Demons' past three matches and is capable of breaking the game open with a goal or two.

The stat: Nathan Jones enjoys playing the Giants. The Melbourne co-captain averages 27 disposals a game against GWS, his highest average against all sides in the competition.

The match-up: Max Gawn v Shane Mumford

They're two of the most influential ruckmen in the competition, who are more than capable of dominating a match at their peak. Gawn is currently ranked first in the AFL Player Ratings, with Mumford 361st overall.

It's a big week for: A Giant MCG hoodoo

Hot off a comprehensive 93-point win over Carlton, GWS will have its confidence up, but will be facing its bogey ground. The Giants have played 16 games at the MCG over its 7.5 years in the AFL for just two wins.

Big call: Jeremy Cameron to rebound from a rare goalless match to kick a bag of five

Prediction: Giants by 17 points

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Rain killed my inept Bombers team last night.
We have rain to deal with maybe creeping into the end of the 3rd, start of the 4th qtr today.
I trust we’ll have amassed a handy lead by then.
First goal kickers, don’t blast away at goals. Get set up for some 25 degree angle stuff first. Get confident, then go bananas with the banana shots from the pockets.
C’mon team, shut these jerk commentators up about the G- hoodoo. Sick of hearing about it.
Go Giants!!!

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I really hope that we can attack this game with a good gameplan and effort, and bring it home. I don't believe in hoodoos, but I do believe in poor player mindsets and poor gameplans. I do think that Melbourne is not as bad a team as their results this year thus far indicate, but they have certainly regressed as individual players and as a team since last year's good showing. Sitting where they are on the ladder, we need to be ruthless and beat them (preferably convincingly, but to be honest I'd just take a win after the showing against Hawthorn).

It doesn't matter in the end who's out, just who's in the team, and hopefully everyone in GWS colours has something to prove and does so today.

Let's go Giants - play well and prosper!

Soft ruck free kicks. See that holding every game.

Yeah, inevitable. After the uproar over the handling of Gawn, plus Mumford's rep, we just have to hope the umps get over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back