Review Dees v GWS - Good, Bad & Season Ending - Rd 10, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

We were a much better side when we played like campaigners. We don’t have guys getting suspended anymore but we don’t win any matches either.

I don't care what anyone says, pushing the line is one way to bring intensity to a game.

I don't care what anyone says, pushing the line is one way to bring intensity to a game.

Worth a crack given there wasn't much evidence of any intensity today. Still wasn't even with Green niggling away and sniping.

Worth a crack given there wasn't much evidence of any intensity today. Still wasn't even with Green niggling away and sniping.

It's the hunting as a pack, sticking up for your mates mentality. A week suspension here and there makes no difference but it does show you don't much around.

Considering how easy it is to get suspended now it's actually poor we haven't had anyone get anything in the regular season. Don't need to belt anyone but we need to play closer to the line.

Well good clubs would use this year to assess and fix, but there's a real chance we are more Port and the Bulldogs than Rihmond and Collingwood. If we don't get alot right over the off season we could be very quickly back to a club in crisis.
Collingwood was out of finals between 2014-2017 inclusive. Port have easily been a better since 2013

Collingwood was out of finals between 2014-2017 inclusive. Port have easily been a better since 2013
Colligwood though went down and nearly sacked Bucks, reasses everything and make a GF while Port have tread water for 6 years not getting close. Tigs go bottom then premiership, Dogs finish 7th and then will now miss finals 3 years in a row.

That's the comparison.

Nothing was overly surprising, GWS still play like millionaires unless you turn the heat up on them, some of their passing/skill was amazing to watch

We need to bring the heat earlier in the match, our physicality was poor until it didn't matter and we turned it on. Soon as the ball got on the outside we are toast essentially.

Baker was good, keep him in the side, let him make the wing/hff position his this year.

At least we can finally let go of the season, we need to be realistic, we've played 1 good game of footy all year and that was last week and we lost - we're no good this year as we continue to play this frenetic, taxing game style which results in poor skill execution going inside 50 that consistently robs us of momentum. Look how calmly GWS moved the ball, it was a well oiled-machine, we haven't really looked like that all year. We don't have any cohesion and our goals are so laboured.

Too late, she cried

I am not even kidding when I reckon a committee from this board could do a better tactical job than what we’re putting out there right now.

Trouble is, you've got a bloke coaching who sat next to Paul roos for 2 years, who himself was a 2x premiership player and captain of one of the most successful, continually progressive clubs in the land. If they aren't going to listen to a guy who's been there on the Dias, albeit 20 years ago, who learnt off another bloke who's been there too, who are they going to listen to?

Where do you start? It's obviously not gawn, for he is the only one weekly you can bank on. Harmes has a dip, and is always amongst our better battlers. Viney is never going to lay down, and while his skill set let's him down, at least he is at the coal face giving his already battered body to this pissant club who barely give anything back. Baker looked like he hasn't had all the enjoyment sucked out of him by the club yet, but don't worry, that will come.

Brayshaw can * off. He is the footballing equivalent to a chamomile teabag. Honestly, if he was steering the titanic, at least they would've missed the iceberg. Congratulations mate you finished 3rd in the brownlow last year. You haven't got a hardball since.

Why do our boys not want to dig in? Is it all these poor injuries and surgeries we apparently had last year? Yet hawthorn, west coast, Geelong, Sydney and adelaide (bar last year) have season after season yet still seem to be there abouts come the pointy end of the season?

What do these guys do between now and next game we play? All week, do they sit in meetings and talk about how well they stood in space? Or how well they stood the mark?

Every single person who has even seen the letter g, w and s would have known they were going to have a red hot crack trying to beat their mcg hoodoo. Seems the only ones who didn't know were wearing red and blue. Or worse still, they knew but they just didn't care.

Today was it for me. I know everyone says things like this in the heat of the moment. But my care factor has deteriorated to the point where I hate the game so much and I'm starting to hate the players. I didn't even hate them in 2012 when they were terrible, I just knew they were s**t. This year I'm hating them because they can play better, both individually and as a collective. But they choose not to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Viney was actually pretty good and stood up in the absence of Oliver, thought he had his explosiveness back and took the game on for us when nobody else did, also worked hard to the wings to take some marks. Was a positive
I love that we are happy about a player taking over from another player having a s**t game, imagine Gawn, Oliver, brayshaw, viney, tmac and petracca have a good game... just imagine, because it will never happen.

I think today broke me. I’ve followed the club for more than 25 years, I’ve been a member for 16 years. There have been worse losses and worse seasons but the one constant is being perpetually letdown. Football is supposed to be fun but the sheer volume of s**t I have watched has turned me into this gnarled, disgusting, crabbit during games where I mostly heap abuse on the players and team I’m supposed to support. I don’t like how I feel when I watch them and I don’t like how I am when I watch them. There are far more productive ways to spend my time and there are definitely bigger issues to be worried about that this enduring * up of a football club. I doubt I will ever see a premiership, I felt this in the Neeld/Bailey years which was logical because we were sub-AFL standard and the best teams were dynastic. Now that feeling is even worse because the teams winning the flag are generally average and MFC is still terrible. Same s**t, worse bucket. It took five years (which is comparatively an eon) to build a team that was average but could potentially win, anywhere, anytime - it has taken one year to destroy that with pathetic skills and structures as well as an anemic lethargy. Bathwater drinking, hubris, a bunch of nobodies going nowhere is summative of the MFC. I’ll see out the season, I’ve paid my membership for the umpteenth time, perhaps I’ll even be fool enough to pay for a significantly downgraded membership next year - the “xx years consecutive member” scrawled on my membership card is the only tangible return I have gained for years of psychological torment from the MFC. All I know is from a supporter perspective, I’m emotionally dead inside. Thanks, MFC! xx

Could tell the game was shot in the first quarter when gws was dominating both possession and tackle count. Gws just worked harder with and without the ball. There was no enjoyment in that game whatsoever. I'm not so sure how anyone could cheer those last quarter goals the game was all over and then they decided to show something. Having said that gws eased off, had there been another quarter gws would have restored their dominance. Obviously the season has been done for a while I think this team will bounce back but there needs to be a shake up in the off season. Probably need a few good drafting years as well.

Good to see everyone back to our usual pessimistic selves, instead of that happy bunch with hope, it felt weird and icky.

It's been nice to return to normality after last years dizzying highs.

Seems we have no kick in plan other than kick it to Max and hope he clunks it.

Would it kill us to lower the eyes going into the forward 50? FFS it hasn't worked the first twenty times, it doesn't look like things are going to change, how about honour a lead?

Just remembered something I saw today thats summed up our game/season. Tim smith lead and the ball was kicked over his head. He didn't even bother putting his hands up and had a look on his face of 'that was rat s**t.' I don't blame him either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back