Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On James Manson.

Absolutely good guy.
I’ve had the pleasure a few times and he and his wife are just lovely people.

Was a solid citizen ruck for us, and such endeavour too.
When Charlie wa
50+ years of watching the pies here and for the the last 30 you could arguably be correct - he's an astonishingly good ruckman - let alone player.

But he has a way to go yet to reach top 5 all time.

Just happy he is ours and pray he remains a one club player.
35 years for me. I've seen blokes who are much more talented, but I think he's the most influential Pie that I've ever seen.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
When Charlie wa

35 years for me. I've seen blokes who are much more talented, but I think he's the most influential Pie that I've ever seen.
Influential Magpie?

What a great category style question. I’m thinking about it.

Who are the most influential magpies of the past few decades?

Grundy surely is in that list.

I default to Buckley as he literally carried us for a good few years.
Len Thompson another.

Phil Carman. The downside was, his influence also cost us huge in 1977.

Influential Magpie?

What a great category style question. I’m thinking about it.

Who are the most influential magpies of the past few decades?

Grundy surely is in that list.

I default to Buckley as he literally carried us for a good few years.
Len Thompson another.

Phil Carman. The downside was, his influence also cost us huge in 1977.

I really meant influence on a match rather than anything more significant. Loki made a comment earlier that Grundy should have got the medal rather than Reid. Reid played the perfect game for his role, but I agree with Loki, Grundy was more influential in the outcome of the match. Grundy isn't as brilliant as many Pies I've seen. Daicos had a much bigger influence on the contests he was in, but Grundy has a positive influence on three times as many contests as Daicos, not as big a positive influence per contest, but cumulatively bigger, I reckon. So whilst I think of Daicos as a better footballer, I also think Grundy is more influential and more important than Daicos was.

3rdMan

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know Sam Reid kicked 6 but Grundy was BOG by the length of the Flemington straight tonight. Reid kicked goals on reserves players and blokes a foot shorter than him. Grundy had 64 KO's, 18 disposals and 9 tackles. He's a colossus I tells ya!
Pendlebury matched Brody's 9 tackles, had 9 clearances, 29 disposals and a brilliant goal. For mine, he was best on ground, but I guess it comes down to how highly we value hit outs.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
When Charlie wa

On personal observation I have to disagree - as far as ruckman go Thommo definitely had him covered and probably Moore just shades him at present.

As for influence he drops further down the list

Daicos and Rose spring instantly to mind - both struck dread into opponent hearts and caused panic on the field.

If you aren't putting a cap on time spent in the game Greening quite literally tore all opposition to shreds and simply did as he wanted on the field.

If you don't disqualify idiots then Fabulous Phil was the prototype for the modern footballer who was simply untouchable when concentrating on football.

Grundy astonishes me with all he brings to the table and I'm deeply grateful he chose us but no not the most influential in my personal experience.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have never seen a ruckman from any team attack the ground level contest after the hitout as often or as successfully as Grundy does. Perhaps Dean Cox comes close. Hes in everything. Sure he might not be a goalkicker like Moore or might be just shaded as a tap ruckman by Thompson, but for mine on his overall game hes better than both of them.

All he really needs is to keep doing it at this very high level for the next 4-5 years in the black and white (and another five years at a good level if not at this level) . If he does that, history will show that Grundy will be the best ruckman Collingwood has ever had.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pendlebury matched Brody's 9 tackles, had 9 clearances, 29 disposals and a brilliant goal. For mine, he was best on ground, but I guess it comes down to how highly we value hit outs.
From our team the two stand outs, on Friday night, we’re Grundy and Pendlebury.
Cases can be made for either and both are worthy of best for us.

I chose Grundy but wasn’t much in it.

Glad you’re highlighting how strong a case Pendlebury makes.

Barham to Kink

Debutant
Sep 23, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I doubt he’s even our highest vote getter.

What will count against him most is that he probably hasn’t been our best player in any single game. He’s probably been in the best 5 on ground in every match this year aside from Rd 1, but I doubt he polls the 3 voters to get it done when he’s fighting Pendles and Treloar plus the best from the opposition on the night (Cripps, Bont, Kelly, Shuey, Daniher and Reid).

What makes him so good though is the gap between his best and worst. A bad night for him let’s say (15p, 30ho, 4t and 4cl) is the equivalent of a fantastic night for any other ruckman in the league aside from Gawn. That’s how dominant he is currently!

If Grundy has not polled 3 votes in a single game this year, I will happily run down Smith Street naked but for a Collingwood flag up my butt

If Grundy has not polled 3 votes in a single game this year, I will happily run down Smith Street naked but for a Collingwood flag up my butt
Sounds like a normal Saturday night on Smith St

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Thommo and Peter Moore were both "generational ruckmen" but they were no more athletic than Grundy or indeed a young Josh Fraser. (Moore just looked like an Olympic 400m runner!) And THEY had chinks in their armour. Thommo could be "got in" (Big Nick and Carl Ditterich used this against him often) and Peter Moore, as athletic as he was, left his body open to being crashed into at the centre bounces (which Mark Lee and Simon Madden did on a regular basis, winding and injuring Moore regularly)
So, in my estimation GRUNDY has fewer foibles. He adapts his game to what's necessary to beat an opponent and then he just grinds them to death! He'll never kick as many goals as Moore did because he won't play as a FF like Moore did for his first 3-5 years. He'll never kick left foot stab passes like Thommo could either, but then who does any more?
Grundy is a warrior unlike Thommo or Moore though. He's more akin to Weideman or Jolly. Evilly smart, totally competitive, seemingly indestructable and he makes team-mates run taller and opponents look around to see where he is. Neither Thommo or Moore had that kind of PRESENCE.

Well now I have gone Stat crazy.:)

After 10 games, Grundy has some impressive stats amongst league players.

FF Grundy No.1
FA Grundy No.1
Tackles Grundy No.1
CP Gundy No.8 (only pie player in top 10)
HO Grundy No.2 (Witts No.1)

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thommo and Peter Moore were both "generational ruckmen" but they were no more athletic than Grundy or indeed a young Josh Fraser. (Moore just looked like an Olympic 400m runner!) And THEY had chinks in their armour. Thommo could be "got in" (Big Nick and Carl Ditterich used this against him often) and Peter Moore, as athletic as he was, left his body open to being crashed into at the centre bounces (which Mark Lee and Simon Madden did on a regular basis, winding and injuring Moore regularly)
So, in my estimation GRUNDY has fewer foibles. He adapts his game to what's necessary to beat an opponent and then he just grinds them to death! He'll never kick as many goals as Moore did because he won't play as a FF like Moore did for his first 3-5 years. He'll never kick left foot stab passes like Thommo could either, but then who does any more?
Grundy is a warrior unlike Thommo or Moore though. He's more akin to Weideman or Jolly. Evilly smart, totally competitive, seemingly indestructable and he makes team-mates run taller and opponents look around to see where he is. Neither Thommo or Moore had that kind of PRESENCE.
You make some really good points here about Thommo & Moore, as great as they were, both had their weak points. For Grundy, I dont think he hits the scoreboard as much as he should, especially considering he is a very good kick for goal. Other than that he is a nightmare match up.

Also, Grundy has only been dominating the competition for about the last 18 months or so. The exciting thing will be watching him become one of our greatest ever players, if not the greatest. I just pray he stays, because I think he can lead us to multiple flags.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
You make some really good points here about Thommo & Moore, as great as they were, both had their weak points. For Grundy, I dont think he hits the scoreboard as much as he should, especially considering he is a very good kick for goal. Other than that he is a nightmare match up.

Also, Grundy has only been dominating the competition for about the last 18 months or so. The exciting thing will be watching him become one of our greatest ever players, if not the greatest. I just pray he stays, because I think he can lead us to multiple flags.
We all pray he stays doc and eagerly await his continuing improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why does everyone think Grundy 'should' kick more goals? Isn't it just his role to give us first use? Let the forwards and the (shorter) midfielders kick goals. Grundy can just tap it, grab it, kick it, pass it at every contest and give us that huge advantage.

Has to be top 5 in my book, too. Not too many players in the game dominate in such a consistent way each week.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

Rd 1 Kelly, Rd 2 JDG, Rd 3 Shuey, Rd 4 Bont, Rd 5 Treloar, Rd 6 Pendles, Rd 7 Pendles, Rd 8 Cripps, Rd 9 Steele and Rd 10 Pendles (I liked Reid’s game though).

That’s who I’d have had as BOG in each match this year. As I said he’d be best 5 in all bar Rd 1 and there’s a couple there where he’ll be a chance at the three votes, but given the traditional midfield centric voting we have I expect he’d be on about 10-12 votes by now without a 3. Watch for Pendles who will get the 3’s!

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why does everyone think Grundy 'should' kick more goals? Isn't it just his role to give us first use? Let the forwards and the (shorter) midfielders kick goals. Grundy can just tap it, grab it, kick it, pass it at every contest and give us that huge advantage.

Has to be top 5 in my book, too. Not too many players in the game dominate in such a consistent way each week.
I suppose it comes down to the game plan also. At the moment, he seems to go off for a rest for about 3-5 minutes per quarter. Maybe Cox could ruck a bit more to allow Grundy to "rest" in the forward line for a few minutes per quarter. I think Cox is good enough to handle that, and Grundy would be a nightmare match up resting forward.

But if it aint broke, dont fix it I suppose.

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
On personal observation I have to disagree - as far as ruckman go Thommo definitely had him covered and probably Moore just shades him at present.

As for influence he drops further down the list

Daicos and Rose spring instantly to mind - both struck dread into opponent hearts and caused panic on the field.

If you aren't putting a cap on time spent in the game Greening quite literally tore all opposition to shreds and simply did as he wanted on the field.

If you don't disqualify idiots then Fabulous Phil was the prototype for the modern footballer who was simply untouchable when concentrating on football.

Grundy astonishes me with all he brings to the table and I'm deeply grateful he chose us but no not the most influential in my personal experience.
Excellent assessment.

I rate Daicos the best I’ve seen at the club. Carmen could have been better if it wasn’t for his temper and short tenure at the club. As for rucks, Thommo was a pure ruckman, and when rucks rested up forward was also handy for a goal or two. Moore was just a pure athlete who could run and jump. Not a great reader of where to be as much he had just so much athletic ability that he could chase and get the ball.

But Greening was silk. The complete footballer. Sort of reminds me of Burgoyne today.

Barham to Kink

Debutant
Sep 23, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rd 1 Kelly, Rd 2 JDG, Rd 3 Shuey, Rd 4 Bont, Rd 5 Treloar, Rd 6 Pendles, Rd 7 Pendles, Rd 8 Cripps, Rd 9 Steele and Rd 10 Pendles (I liked Reid’s game though).

That’s who I’d have had as BOG in each match this year. As I said he’d be best 5 in all bar Rd 1 and there’s a couple there where he’ll be a chance at the three votes, but given the traditional midfield centric voting we have I expect he’d be on about 10-12 votes by now without a 3. Watch for Pendles who will get the 3’s!

Ok I didn’t say I’d run the entire length of Smith Street. I had in mind a 10 metre dash at the quiet Queens Parade end at about 3am on a Sunday morning one public holiday weekend.

I just thought his game last week was a fair bit better than Steele’s game but I see the coaches split their 4 and 5 votes. I put that down to Richo over-rating Marshall’s game. I also thought he was better than Sam Reid and Pendles on Friday. Putting aside my flag bearing comment, I reckon his influence is a bit under-rated. I thought the Saints got on top in Q2 last week when BG was off the ground and he couldn’t get back on because the play was on the other side of the ground. He has taken half as many marks this year as he did last year in 26 games. I’m a massive fan.

I rate Brodie as our best player but think his opposition is far inferior to the rucks Thommo and Moore were regularly up against.
So does that mean all current players are inferior to past players?

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
So does that mean all current players are inferior to past players?

No, I think the game has evolved so that midfielders are more dominant than ever and we do not see a whole cast of great ruckmen emerging. The midfielders are also taller. In the time that Thommo and Moore played, it was more one on one and not just a sea of mids everywhere. Each team had a set ruckman and there were some great rucks around with many winning Brownlows.

Ok I didn’t say I’d run the entire length of Smith Street. I had in mind a 10 metre dash at the quiet Queens Parade end at about 3am on a Sunday morning one public holiday weekend.
I still think you're underestimating the difficulty of running with a flag pole stuck in your rear.

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
I rate Brodie as our best player but think his opposition is far inferior to the rucks Thommo and Moore were regularly up against.
His tap work is not exceptional. But very few these days have the ability to continually feed it to the advantage of a clear player or a player on the move. It’s probably more to do with structures around the ball up as opposed to decades ago that clogs the ball up. Grundy probably wouldn’t beat the likes of Thompson, Dempsey, Polly Farmer etc and a few of the high jumping rucks along the likes of Jeff White...... but he’d probably beat them at ground level . He gets a lot of taps, but if they are running 53/47 advantage our way, it’s not a huge advantage. But sometimes those 7-8 taps extra to our advantage in a game are enough to create space and goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back