Grant Birchall returns after 2 years out...

satan1

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bit worried about Burgers to be honest, still as classy as ever but hadn't had much of it this season. The last few years he has really played well after the bye round so perhaps he will work into it. Birchall seemed like the type of player who would play 350 games, hopefully he gets back out there, still young enough to make an impact for a few years.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thing that worries me a little now, id that poor ol' Birch has played very little for quite a long time now. And thanks to Colonel Mustard and Hocking the Lessor, it's practically a different sport he will be coming back to.

Makes it harder

This is just irking me now. Retire with grace. It's over.

How can you on one hand drop Roughy and keep him down when he clearly could have added something and on the other persist with a broken Cadillac in Birchall sitting on the sidelines taking up list/cap space.

It's time for hard business decisions, I support the club not Grant Birchall. Thanks for your service Birch will always be a Hawthorn legend.

Yes, this is the last straw for me.

You're irking Aramis, Birchall, you self-centered prick. He's told you it's over, now retire! WITH GRACE, FFS!

Yes, this is the last straw for me.

You're irking Aramis, Birch, you self-centered prick. He's told you it's over, now retire! WITH GRACE, FFS!

Im telling the club to make the business decision, nothing to do with me telling Birch what to do. Read what I actually wrote maybe? just a thought?

I personally don't think it is but there could be a case that it is a bit self-centered at this point. Ironic that you were being sarcastic though. Very one-eyed from you.

Im telling the club to make the business decision, nothing to do with me telling Birch what to do. Read what I actually wrote maybe? just a thought?
You want Hawthorn to retire with grace? Then what will we do every weekend?

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

How can you on one hand drop Roughy and keep him down when he clearly could have added something and on the other persist with a broken Cadillac in Birchall sitting on the sidelines taking up list/cap space.

It's time for hard business decisions, I support the club not Grant Birchall. Thanks for your service Birch will always be a Hawthorn legend.
Because Roughead was not performing well enough and needed to be dropped, last we saw of Birch he was having a big impact on this team. The comparison makes no sense they are not the same.

Will he ever get back to that level? Who knows but he has the rest of the year to try and do that. Retiring now will not help us in anyway.

Because Roughead was not performing well enough and needed to be dropped, last we saw of Birch he was having a big impact on this team. Will he ever get back to that level? Who knows but he has the rest of the year to try and do that. Retiring now will not help us in anyway.

Extra pick in mid-season draft for someone who can provide depth and actually get on the field?

What good is Birch coming back at all this season? He takes a spot of a youngster and could stunt their development.

Retire with grace, either club initiated or player initiated. Either or. You know what I meant, dont be a child.
Yes, I know exactly what you meant.

You demand that Birchall retire, because...you're irked now.

No doubt this is the most important factor in any decision taken by the club and Birchall, your immediate gratification.

I suspect one of us is being quite childish, not sure it's me, though

Yes, I know exactly what you meant.

You demand that Birchall retire, because...you're irked now.

No doubt this is the most important factor in any decision taken by the club and Birchall, your immediate gratification.

I suspect one of us is being quite childish, not sure it's me, though

Can confirm it's you.

You have a nasty habit of bending the situation. You either misunderstand where i'm coming from or just cant handle the fact its over. Nothing to do with my immediate gratification. Its clearly past midnight now and the call needs to be made before mid-season draft for the extra pick.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Extra pick in mid-season draft for someone who can provide depth and actually get on the field?

What good is Birch coming back at all this season? He takes a spot of a youngster and could stunt their development.
Man have you looked at the names of players in the mid season draft? They really are not much chop and we aren't contending for a flag this year anyway. The hype behind the mid season draft is way overblown.

If Birch gets fit again no reason why he can't play for a few years still, he is only 31 years old.

Man have you looked at the names of players in the mid season draft? They really are not much chop and we aren't contending for a flag this year anyway. The hype behind the mid season draft is way overblown.

If Birch gets fit again no reason why he can't play for a few years still, he is only 31 years old.

I think thats a rose-coloured glasses approach and theres a rather slim chance of it. How long has been out for now? If we persist, one more injury like that and its definitely over. Bloke hasn't played in years. Even if he does come back and avoids injury its an unknown quantity whether he will even have an impact, I doubt it would be the glorious return most people on here are envisaging.

Can confirm it's you.

You have a nasty habit of bending the situation. You either misunderstand where i'm coming from or just cant handle the fact its over. .
No, I'm pointing out something that YOU quite clearly can't understand. The idea that your 'opinion' that it's over is actually a FACT that it is over.

The club that works with him every day, with intimate details of his progress, DON'T believe it's over.

Birchall, who's been going through it for 3 years, DOESN'T believe it's over.

But some guy on the net KNOWS it's over...because he's irked!

I may be being nasty, but I'm not bending anything. Posts like yours betray a sense of entitlement and egocentrism which I can't abide

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I think thats a rose-coloured glasses approach and theres a rather slim chance of it. How long has been out for now? one more injury like that and its over. Bloke hasn't played in years. Even if he does come back and avoids injury its an unknown quantity whether he will even have an impact, I doubt it would be the glorious return most people on here are envisaging.
No i think most are rather pragmatic about the situation, a gun player at his best that has had an awful run with injury. He may or may not return but should be given the season to try and get back to on to the field.

He is more of a known quantity than most on the draft that have either been desisted and still not picked up by another club or straight up overlooked by 18 clubs. We already have a list spot open for the draft for anyone the club has identified i do not think we need a second for a stab in the dark.

No, I'm pointing out something that YOU quite clearly can't understand. The idea that your 'opinion' that it's over is actually a FACT that it is over.

The club that works with him every day, with intimate details of his progress, DON'T believe it's over.

Birchall, who's been going through it for 3 years, DOESN'T believe it's over.

But some guy on the net KNOWS it's over...because he's irked!

I may be being nasty, but I'm not bending anything. Posts like yours betray a sense of entitlement and egocentrism which I can't abide

Your interpretation is wrong. I have a belief its over, i'm sharing that belief on a bloody football forum designed for discussion. It is implicit in what I write that it is opinion, as 99% of posts are. If you don't agree, thats fine, try playing the ball not the man. Figured you would have known that with your experience on this forum.

You mean portray not betray... and no I am not portraying a sense of "entitlement or egocentrism".. Im passionate and if you want to take my passion for this club as those things thats your choice, but as long as you know, thats utter crap. You want to have an open and robust discussion about Birch? cool, I welcome that. Quote away.

Last edited:
Your interpretation is wrong. I have a belief its over, i'm sharing that belief on a bloody football forum designed for discussion. If you don't agree, thats fine, try playing the ball not the man. Figured you would have known that with your experience on this forum.
Well, then don't say it's a fact it's over, when it's not.

Like another moderator says, this is like a pub, where it is a community of like-minded people.

I may sound disrespectful to you, but I struggle with the discourse here sometimes. When you tell everyone your opinions are FACTS, then the assumption is that everyone else who doesn't share that is automatically COMPLETELY WRONG.

Opinions are fine when they're put forward as opinions to be discussed, not as FACTS that everyone needs to understand and accept.

Yes, I get touchy about people telling others that their opinions are facts, so my apologies somewhat for my response. (It was to the tone of your post though, not you)

If we can discuss the pros and cons of Birchall retiring respectfully, that's why we're all here.

Well, then don't say it's a fact it's over, when it's not.

Like another moderator says, this is like a pub, where it is a community of like-minded people.

I may sound disrespectful to you, but I struggle with the discourse here sometimes. When you tell everyone your opinions are FACTS, then the assumption is that everyone else who doesn't share that is automatically COMPLETELY WRONG.

Opinions are fine when they're put forward as opinions to be discussed, not as FACTS that everyone needs to understand and accept.

Yes, I get touchy about people telling others that their opinions are facts, so my apologies somewhat for my response. (It was to the tone of your post though, not you)

If we can discuss the pros and cons of Birchall retiring respectfully, that's why we're all here.

Where in my post (below) did I say it was a fact it's over? It is clearly my opinion that it is. never said it was fact, that was YOUR incorrect interpretation. It says a lot that we're now arguing semantics.

I accept your somewhat apology. I will apologise for making it sound as though I was the be all and end all or the factual authority on the topic.

Now would you like to discuss the pros and cons of Birchall remaining or retiring?

Last edited:
eldorado

To be fair. You were already jumping down my throat by the time I posted that.

However I retract that and in its place put "You either misunderstand where i'm coming from or just cant handle that, as in my opinion, its over."

Can we move on now?

Fine. Let's move on

But please don't tell others they need to accept your opinions, and imply that if they don't, it's because they can't handle the truth.

It's not conducive to a good discussion. That's one of the few things that gets me riled on this board, so my apologies again.

Back