News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Ain’t nothing wrong with those numbers, good on him.

I reckon get him on the park in AFL ASAP , it will do his confidence the world of good, Wouldnt hurt the Freo fan base either.

Hell he wouldn’t be any worse (form wise) coming back in - than half our lot last week.

Good luck to him for hanging in there...
Holding our collective breaths I dare say!
He ll play the next two for Peel then if possible come in after the bye Vs Port in three weeks time .

He ll play the next two for Peel then if possible come in after the bye Vs Port in three weeks time .

I honestly do not see the point in this. THe grounds are sub standard and he will be going equally as hard in WAFL as AFL - it is just🤔 a difference in the speed of the game. The issue will be in running and change of direction. It will not be from impact\collisions or marking contests etc.

I am really stoked for Harley to come back with a match like that. I wish I could have watched it - I was on shift today. I was holding my breath opening this thread, and to see those stats, well it takes my breath away!

For mine, Harley comes straight in, because if he gets injured again, I want it in the A team, and not the B team. If he was to get injured in the WAFL, questions will be incredulous and damning. Why : A. he is clearly a better standard than the WAFL - so form has nothing to do with it. B. Lyon came out and said "he looks a million dollars, and is very fit" so conditioning is not really an issue (apart from actual game time).
C. 30 possessions and 2 goals - half of that would be handy for the A team.

just wanted to stop in and say how good it was to see H running around today. Cant wait till he gets back on the park at AFL level, was my favourite player at the Suns and just hope he can put it all together :thumbsu:
When you say "see" him.... were you at the game? His stats are great; how was he looking compared to with the Suns?

I honestly do not see the point in this. THe grounds are sub standard and he will be going equally as hard in WAFL as AFL - it is just🤔 a difference in the speed of the game. The issue will be in running and change of direction. It will not be from impact\collisions or marking contests etc.

I am really stoked for Harley to come back with a match like that. I wish I could have watched it - I was on shift today. I was holding my breath opening this thread, and to see those stats, well it takes my breath away!

For mine, Harley comes straight in, because if he gets injured again, I want it in the A team, and not the B team. If he was to get injured in the WAFL, questions will be incredulous and damning. Why : A. he is clearly a better standard than the WAFL - so form has nothing to do with it. B. Lyon came out and said "he looks a million dollars, and is very fit" so conditioning is not really an issue (apart from actual game time).
C. 30 possessions and 2 goals - half of that would be handy for the A team.
Yes please!

He should be in next week.

He basically has 12 more weeks of being an AFL player. We can’t * around and he can’t either. He doesn’t need the test of ability - he’s a rare, natural talent and kicking two goals and 30 touches despite barely playing half a game and not playing for a year or so is no shock - but if it’s a fitness thing when we don’t really have the privilege of time.

Three months to earn a career reprieve.

Next month spent on fitness... that leaves eight games.

His body isn’t really up to it. It’s not bad luck. The crappy medical staff don’t help.

How many of us aren’t cringing at the inevitably of him breaking down again?

But he needs to play as soon as possible. If he has two games of goals and say 50 combined touches, he’ll get a rookie spot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Words of wisdom from Braden Quartermaine.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/braden-quartermaine-time-to-gamble-on-harley-bennell-ng-b881211376z

Normally caution would be the order of the day for a talented 26-year-old with a terrible injury history.

The Bennell saga has gone well past a normal situation. There is nothing left here for anyone to lose.

If Bennell isn’t brought in for the Dockers’ daunting clash with Collingwood at the MCG on Saturday then Fremantle’s next game, against Port Adelaide at home in round 13 following their bye, should be circled.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to Bennell’s encouraging 30-disposal, two-goal return for the Thunder in the WAFL on Saturday. The same view would hold if he had gathered 15 touches and kicked no goals.

Caution has been the way until now and it’s delivered a grand total of two games in three three-and-a-half seasons.

I'd prefer he was brought back next week before the bye.

Words of wisdom from Braden Quartermaine.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/braden-quartermaine-time-to-gamble-on-harley-bennell-ng-b881211376z

Normally caution would be the order of the day for a talented 26-year-old with a terrible injury history.

The Bennell saga has gone well past a normal situation. There is nothing left here for anyone to lose.

If Bennell isn’t brought in for the Dockers’ daunting clash with Collingwood at the MCG on Saturday then Fremantle’s next game, against Port Adelaide at home in round 13 following their bye, should be circled.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to Bennell’s encouraging 30-disposal, two-goal return for the Thunder in the WAFL on Saturday. The same view would hold if he had gathered 15 touches and kicked no goals.

Caution has been the way until now and it’s delivered a grand total of two games in three three-and-a-half seasons.

I'd prefer he was brought back next week before the bye.
Only issue I have with this is I'd love him to come back at a home game. Really make it feel special (which it is). Bring some emotion into the game. I remember Morabito's first game back was in Darwin, such a downer.
Next week at the 'G with Collingwood fans yelling abuse at him is no reward for the work he's put in.

Only issue I have with this is I'd love him to come back at a home game. Really make it feel special (which it is). Bring some emotion into the game. I remember Morabito's first game back was in Darwin, such a downer.
Next week at the 'G with Collingwood fans yelling abuse at him is no reward for the work he's put in.

Ehhh he got the home game v Richmond 2 years ago where he was treated like a hero.

I think he'd just be keen to play so make it happen as soon as hes ready.

This is the problem with Big Footy.

Pre-season Hogan was not expected to play because of his foot injury. Then he joins in training late so people say "get him in now". He comes in underdone, under-performs and now we have the gurus coming in telling us he is an overpriced squib.

People were calling for Brennan Cox to be rushed back into the team. He has been underwhelming, so now he is lazy, slow and disinterested.

I see people now calling for McCarthy to be brought into the team - "he can't be worse than Cox". News flash, based on what I have seen at Peel the last two weeks, yes he can. Cam is a great kick, but under the slightest bit of physical pressure he is prone to going to ground and allowing his man to run off him. That's at WAFL level. I think we were all seduced by the 5 goals against North Melbourne, but take that out and he's been poor.

Now we are calling for Harley to be rushed back into the team after playing one game of WAFL in 9 months. He was good on the weekend, but all his team mates were looking to give him the ball at every opportunity, so I wouldn't be getting to excited about the stats. He made a number of mistakes (his first kick went into the man on the mark) and looked rusty at times. Not unexpected considering how much footy he has played!

All these guys should be important cogs in our future, but rushing one player into the team is not going to significantly improve us in the short term, and might be detrimental - what we need is stability and guys learning to play well together.

I'm happy to let them filter back into the system as and when the S&C guys deem they are ready, which means we should be gradually sprinkling quality back into the team over the last half of the season. Hopefully this means we finish the season strongly where we have fallen off a cliff the last couple of years.

Edit: Re first paragraph - this is not the only problem with Big Footy :)

T
People were calling for Brennan Cox to be rushed back into the team. He has been underwhelming, so now he is lazy, slow and disinterested.

Just quietly, has been absolutely kissed on the dick with opportunities more then any young KPF i can remember.

This is the third season in a row that he has got chances he probably didn't deserve based on WAFL form and is now basically guaranteed a spot for the rest of the season based on key injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it too soon to be getting excited? I'm genuinely interested to see what he could do for freo in the back half of the year

Is it too soon to be getting excited? I'm genuinely interested to see what he could do for freo in the back half of the year

Way to soon. Its still 12 days and 4 quarters of WAFL before he even has a chance to play again.

Yes, plus anyone who has missed 3 years of AFL is going to be way of the pace. Everyone needs to temper their expectations.

No need to rush him back I reckon, just play it nice and easy with him and let him perform in a few more games for Peel.
Plenty of time to see if he is really up to it in the AFL.

The encouraging thing is that he ran the game out. He was on the ground as much as anyone and he played entirely midfield. Looked comfortable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And his possession numbers were really good considering he had a hard tag for 3 quarters. I think he’s closer than we think.

Did he look really slow or anything like that? did he do magic Bennell stuff?

It was more workman like than brilliant. He moved well at the stoppages, particularly around the ground. He was quite smart in getting to the hit zones, but I think he always had the tag on him after half time. His kicking was good when he had time apart from one howler on the left that cost a goal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did he look really slow or anything like that? did he do magic Bennell stuff?
A couple of magic kicks and a Bontempelli-esque handball on the grandstand wing of the boundary were worth the price of admission. Didn't look slow but he did struggle to keep to his man in one notable instance when Subi were in attack. I was very impressed with his diving smother second effort mid-way through the 4th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back