2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the eagles beat peel the listed afl player count was 17 eagles to 12 peel dockers.Also had more experienced players who had played at afl level.
when East Perth played Peel they had 14 players who were on the dockers list.The mix was very different from when they played the Eagles.In came Connor Blakely,Stefan Giro,Griffin Logue plus one of Peels better players in Blair Bell.One thing is certain watching East Perth over the last few years and how the crows have performed at sanfl level is that when injuries come a aligned side will do better then a stand alone team.I expect Peel to go close to making the top five as the Peel have decent local product playing reserves that can step up.The more injuries the eagles have creates problems as they have to rely on ammos and the several guys who were playing colts or tac last year are very inexperienced.If Foley and Oneil were playing at Subiaco they would be playing reserves as they are not yet up to wafl standard.I expect the Beagles form will be very patchy unless they get some players back from injury.Would not be surprised if swan districts beat them.
So East Perth weren't any different, but the Beagles had more AFL players when they played Peel compared to EP? And Peel had 2 more AFL but they were more experienced players when they played EP?

Beagles have certainly got a lot less AFL and less experienced players than last week, so could be a drubbing.

That centre line ... Foley, Ainsworth, O'Neill. If they were where we hoped, pressing for AFL, we would be fine but sadly they need a lot of time (and maybe luck). Hopefully they can pull through.

I have sad feels when I think about our midfield drafting.
We have hardly had any high picks used on mids since sheed at pick 11 .
Venables was pick 13 but he was more of a forward in his u18s .
Our best looking mid at the moment is matty allen since he has moved to inside mid . But he is behind yeo redden shuey and sheed for an afl berth unfortunately

I have sad feels when I think about our midfield drafting.
We have hardly had any high picks used on mids since sheed at pick 11 .
Venables was pick 13 but he was more of a forward in his u18s .
Our best looking mid at the moment is matty allen since he has moved to inside mid . But he is behind yeo redden shuey and sheed for an afl berth unfortunately
This is why I'd love a Bolton/Pickett type at the mid season draft. Obviously we don't have a pick and it's unlikely that will change, but our midfield depth is absolutely shocking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wew 4 goals by Cameron. His biggest haul by far. Wonder if being considered by Simmo gave him some extra motivation.
Also 21 possies by O'Neill seems like a good sign.

Reported that O'Neil was 'ferocious' with his attack on the ball. I like the sound of that.

Anyone going to provide a more detailed match summary?

Reported that O'Neil was 'ferocious' with his attack on the ball. I like the sound of that.

I found it hard to make out players in the middle from my vantage point (spent much of the game dodging things being thrown by ferals from the back of the stand) but a few general things:
We seemed to get a decent amount of ball in the middle but then bombed it long into the forward line (where we didn't seem to have much of target because McInnes played a fair bit down back). Swans then took the resulting turnovers straight up the ground and pinpointed passes into their forward 50.
Rotham is a classy player, deserves to be playing more AFL.
Ah Chee was mostly rubbish, seemed quite fumbly, can see why he hasn't had a game this year.
You can tell Brander is going to be a good player, not sure it'll be as a key forward though. Doesn't seem as big as advertised but he might just need to bulk up a bit.
Williams is going to be very good if we give him a couple of years to develop, could definitely see him playing that 2nd ruck/tall forward roll eventually. He didn't do much but he just has something about him, wasn't helped by the bomb it long game plan.
Young midfielders are a worry, from what I saw O'Neil seemed to go alright but I wouldn't say he dominated or anything. Didn't like much of what I saw of Ainsworth, think he'll be out of the team in 2 years. Been saying it for the past few years but we need to draft some actual midfielders with high-ish picks because the cupboard is pretty bare outside of our best 22.
66 who I assume was a fill-in guy was pretty good as well, played mostly forward but got involved and probably had a better game than quite a few of the eagles listed guys.
No Nic Nat surprise appearance midway through the game was a disappointment.

Random thoughts;
Pressure was excellent even if skills left something to be desired at times. 77 tackles V 79 for them. Some very good phases of play when able to get space on a switch and wrap around. However if we could have converted some of the points (7.11, plus 3 rushed) especially from set shots we would have won even though we were babies in comparison to them. 13 first year players with only 6 or less games.

For the second week in a row (Hi East Perth) we may have played a team into form! Watch out for the black ducks to play well next week!

Cameron was really the only leading forward taking marks and also dangerous on the pick up. Only second game back after injury and he keeps getting better (4.1). Had a good mobile defender on him all day as well.

Killed them on the hitouts 68 (Brooksby 50, McI 11, Williams 7) - 33, but they seemed to get more clearances.

#66 is Nick Reid and he got his first WAFL goal (and our first for the half around 17 min in the 2nd quarter) with a kick around the body from 50. He was playing forward but with injuries also went in the middle. He has 2.6 and a couple out of bounds total and kicks are a raffle in play. Like to see Fisher in forwards or middle?

Brady Grey bleeds for this team even though he's switched AFL clubs to play. Hampson was reported for punching him in the guts and downing him for a few minutes. Surprisingly then Hampson gets 4 frees for him as the game went on? Can't figure that out, or 21 - 11 free kick count to Black Ducks.

Williams clunked almost all his marks in the first few games but has not been taking them for the last few games (he's wasn't the only one). Has alot of pressure on him at FF with D all over him, McInnes spent time on the back line trying to plug holes there. Maybe needs to get more separation on leads, (easier said than done as he usually takes the best defender each week)? Or maybe he sweats a lots and has wet hands? Don't know, but hope his confidence can get back up. Only had 2 kicks and one missed shot on goal, but moves well around the filed, can take a tap and looks to have potential.

Riach plays very good man on man defence (Cat B rookie and hasn't played that much footy), but was getting isolated 1V1 not far out from goals where his experienced player outbodied him for the mark. Maybe better to play off the player where he can run and take a mark or spoil? Or play wing?

Brander always looks like he has the most potential out of anyone on the field to me. He was playing wing/forward mostly and flashed in and out, but grabs attention when he has the ball. Only had one kick for goal and missed but is just coming back from a hamstring strain. As supposedly the best defender of his draft year I'd love to see him play as a defender and we were short and inexperienced there on Saturday, so would have been handy.

Mentioned above Ainsworth using handballs in last quarter and this worked well. Had 8 kicks and 8 handballs.

Josh Rotham is a rock on defence and had 15 kicks, 6 handballs, 7 marks, 3 tackles has a great temperament and can't figure out how he hasn't got another AFL game after flawlessly fitting in and contributing in two of the As best winds against Coll and GWS.

Brooksby killing it with 8 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles and 50 hitouts.

I didn't notice McInnes as much and could get him mixed up with Brooksby. He played a lot in defence, had 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles and 11 HO.

Agree with the comments on Archie and he also missed a goal.

X seemed to have a decent game with 12 kicks, 9 handballs, 5 marks, 7 tackles and a point.

Two injuries with ammos Kalajzic going off before half time with concussion and Coe in 3rd or 4th with a shoulder injury I think.

Interesting, Swans had signs it was an Eagles home game (they had a womans game and district youth games as well). However while they charged their members $15 because it was Eagles home game, they said they don't recognise Eagles memberships so charged eveyone (except kids) coming in.

Will Beagles and EGirls have home games a Mineral Resources Park next year of will it be the same as this year?

Game stream is still up on YouTube for the Swans and also EP game ..
WCE put some nice halftime information up as well that is available at the website but good filler for the break..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Random thoughts;
Pressure was excellent even if skills left something to be desired at times. 77 tackles V 79 for them. Some very good phases of play when able to get space on a switch and wrap around. However if we could have converted some of the points (7.11, plus 3 rushed) especially from set shots we would have won even though we were babies in comparison to them. 13 first year players with only 6 or less games.

For the second week in a row (Hi East Perth) we may have played a team into form! Watch out for the black ducks to play well next week!

Cameron was really the only leading forward taking marks and also dangerous on the pick up. Only second game back after injury and he keeps getting better (4.1). Had a good mobile defender on him all day as well.

Killed them on the hitouts 68 (Brooksby 50, McI 11, Williams 7) - 33, but they seemed to get more clearances.

#66 is Nick Reid and he got his first WAFL goal (and our first for the half around 17 min in the 2nd quarter) with a kick around the body from 50. He was playing forward but with injuries also went in the middle. He has 2.6 and a couple out of bounds total and kicks are a raffle in play. Like to see Fisher in forwards or middle?

Brady Grey bleeds for this team even though he's switched AFL clubs to play. Hampson was reported for punching him in the guts and downing him for a few minutes. Surprisingly then Hampson gets 4 frees for him as the game went on? Can't figure that out, or 21 - 11 free kick count to Black Ducks.

Williams clunked almost all his marks in the first few games but has not been taking them for the last few games (he's wasn't the only one). Has alot of pressure on him at FF with D all over him, McInnes spent time on the back line trying to plug holes there. Maybe needs to get more separation on leads, (easier said than done as he usually takes the best defender each week)? Or maybe he sweats a lots and has wet hands? Don't know, but hope his confidence can get back up. Only had 2 kicks and one missed shot on goal, but moves well around the filed, can take a tap and looks to have potential.

Riach plays very good man on man defence (Cat B rookie and hasn't played that much footy), but was getting isolated 1V1 not far out from goals where his experienced player outbodied him for the mark. Maybe better to play off the player where he can run and take a mark or spoil? Or play wing?

Brander always looks like he has the most potential out of anyone on the field to me. He was playing wing/forward mostly and flashed in and out, but grabs attention when he has the ball. Only had one kick for goal and missed but is just coming back from a hamstring strain. As supposedly the best defender of his draft year I'd love to see him play as a defender and we were short and inexperienced there on Saturday, so would have been handy.

Mentioned above Ainsworth using handballs in last quarter and this worked well. Had 8 kicks and 8 handballs.

Josh Rotham is a rock on defence and had 15 kicks, 6 handballs, 7 marks, 3 tackles has a great temperament and can't figure out how he hasn't got another AFL game after flawlessly fitting in and contributing in two of the As best winds against Coll and GWS.

Brooksby killing it with 8 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles and 50 hitouts.

I didn't notice McInnes as much and could get him mixed up with Brooksby. He played a lot in defence, had 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles and 11 HO.

Agree with the comments on Archie and he also missed a goal.

X seemed to have a decent game with 12 kicks, 9 handballs, 5 marks, 7 tackles and a point.

Two injuries with ammos Kalajzic going off before half time with concussion and Coe in 3rd or 4th with a shoulder injury I think.

Interesting, Swans had signs it was an Eagles home game (they had a womans game and district youth games as well). However while they charged their members $15 because it was Eagles home game, they said they don't recognise Eagles memberships so charged eveyone (except kids) coming in.

Will Beagles and EGirls have home games a Mineral Resources Park next year of will it be the same as this year?

Strange they had a sign up stating that.It was always promoted that all west coast games were to be played as away games.

What is Branders actual position?

I don’t think letting him roam on the wing will do him any favours for both his development and his chances of AFL selection?

Brander is being developed as a wingman/ midfielder can see the attraction by MC as he’s got some nice moves and ball skills..

I don’t think it’s too uncommon when you compare sizes with Fyfe , PCripps and the Bont and some other younger players in Stocker and CollierDawkins ..

Brander is being developed in that Mitch Brown small forward pocket role we nail so well.

It's how we like to use "the best KPP in the draft" after we get him.

That’s just like how we were all told OAllen was drafted to play midfield ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back