Gerard Whateley - Best in the business?

Who is the leading journalist in footy circles?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Spent over a week talking about someone climbing a goal post, must have some sort of strange fetish.

He is in his element when Robert Murphy is on. Wouldn’t surprise me if getting him on when he was playing and when he retired was all his idea. They both use big tough important sounding words to try and distinguish themselves from the average joe who the show is aimed at audience wise and remind them that as they get paid to be on tv whatever they say goes and is the most important opinion. Smugness galore from them both

lol he is **** now

Lol, I'll admit that the poll options I posted were a massive troll but bringing up posts from over three years ago definitely falls into 'with the benefit of hindsight' category. I haven't watched 360 much at all the last two years and sense that Gerard has not been as sharp as he used to be. But, he was a very solid performer for a number of years and think my thoughts were justified at the time of posting. Although he was probably never the best football journalist in the business, he was probably in the top bracket at that time.

Lol, I'll admit that the poll options I posted were a massive troll but bringing up posts from over three years ago definitely falls into 'with the benefit of hindsight' category. I haven't watched 360 much at all the last two years and sense that Gerard has not been as sharp as he used to be. But, he was a very solid performer for a number of years and think my thoughts were justified at the time of posting. Although he was probably never the best football journalist in the business, he was probably in the top bracket at that time.

Hi Geraldo...how's things?

His fawning over guests is cringeworthy. He is reluctant to express a critical opinion unless he can find some 'low hanging fruit' eg Carlton this week and the Rampe goalpost saga.
He has an emotional bias toward his beloved Cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'We (the media) have given Carlton a free pass this year, but they're not living up to their end of the bargain.'
This is a quote from Whateley after the Blues were thumped by the Giants, and it's the most arrogant thing I've ever heard from a journo / commentator. He's gone low brow the last couple of months to save his ratings (talking about potential coach sackings, etc). This week he did half an hour of revenge talk back. For those who don't know what revenge talk back is, it's when the producer of a radio show feels so aggrieved that someone won't talk to him (in this case LoGiudice), that he gives ample opportunity for Carlton people to call in and s**t all over their own club. It's a tried and true radio practice. If someone refuses to talk publicly, rubbish them or their club mercilessly until they feel compelled to defend themselves. The funny thing is, after half an hour of rubbishing Carlton, it wasn't LoGiudice who called SEN pleading for mercy, it was Marc Maclure. I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Another quote this week that had me in stitches:
Gary Lyon talking about Joe Daniher's latest setback: 'It's not like the Essendon doctors would deliberately jeopardize the health of a player.'

I enjoyed Whateley in the early days,I do enjoy his cricket talk but I think he has become a Hocking and Geelong mouthpiece lately.

His throwing under the bus of Richmond players and shielding of Ablett has pissed me right off.

The “state of the game” shenanigans,you wonder if he was saving the game or just giving Geelong a legup?

With the new “state of the game” rules ,the scoring has been lower thanI can remember,game has run in slow motion but Whateley’s and Hocking’s Cats sit 2 games clear on top of the ladder.

Am I being paranoid??

We had just as many close nail biters under the old rules despite alot of media pundits proclaiming “you wouldn’t see this under the old rules”

The game was faster under the old rules because teams had extra men situated behind the ball carrier to keep the ball moving,the only problem was at ball ups when a mound of players descended on the ball but I think the game has slowed down without the extra players behind the ball to keep the ball moving.

W
I enjoyed Whateley in the early days,I do enjoy his cricket talk but I think he has become a Hocking and Geelong mouthpiece lately.

His throwing under the bus of Richmond players and shielding of Ablett has pissed me right off.

The “state of the game” shenanigans,you wonder if he was saving the game or just giving Geelong a legup?

With the new “state of the game” rules ,the scoring has been lower thanI can remember,game has run in slow motion but Whateley’s and Hocking’s Cats sit 2 games clear on top of the ladder.

Am I being paranoid??

We had just as many close nail biters under the old rules despite alot of media pundits proclaiming “you wouldn’t see this under the old rules”

The game was faster under the old rules because teams had extra men situated behind the ball carrier to keep the ball moving,the only problem was at ball ups when a mound of players descended on the ball but I think the game has slowed down without the extra players behind the ball to keep the ball moving.

What Richmond players did he throw under the bus?

I am not sure he is better or worse than a few years back.

The one thing that has changed is the amount of exposure and airtime he now has - and he has also gone from a weekly spot on the ABC where there is no commerical references allowed - to his own 12 hours on a commerical station where sponsors pay his wages.

Can only sit on the fence so long if you want the punters to call in and please the sponsors! That BMW doesn't drive itself (yet)

Another quote this week that had me in stitches:
Gary Lyon talking about Joe Daniher's latest setback: 'It's not like the Essendon doctors would deliberately jeopardize the health of a player.'
Maybe he was being deadpan and did intend that nice little backhander.

All depends whether you think he has the wit for such language play.

Going ape s**t after the 2016 Grand Final over a score review correctly changing a touched goal to a behind was a real turning point. No 'heat of the moment', it was the next day on Insiders. He scripted his absurd diatribe. He came off as smart all those years because the standard is ex-players who can barely string a sentence together and News Corp hacks.

Back