Review Positives and Negatives - Raining Premiers vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker pulling out of that contest looked bad the same way Ryan pulling out in the GF looked bad but in neither instance do I think it was because they weren’t prepared to put their body on the line. I think both players were thinking about what they were going to do once they got the ball without making sure they took possession in the first place

Tex gets hold of that ball, spins away from the oncoming Hurn and snaps a goal. Would have looked brilliant except he left the ball on the ground and looked like he was trying to dodge contact giving us all a good laugh

For mine - haven't seen a lot of the game but from the bits I saw;
Better ball delivery into forward line - lower and quicker - didn't seem to be as many bombs as in past weeks.
Better ball into forward line meant JK and JD could separate and combine more effectively. Didn't seem to be as many occasions when they were both competing for the same ball.
Gaff has hitting the ball by foot much better - fewer bombs from him (see above for outcome)
Midfield combined well to form a good team within a team - and they were ably led by Yeo, Redden and Shuey
Shep does what Shep does.
Thought Cole went alright - had a key job on Betts (from what I saw)
I suspect Waterman was the foil guy for JK and JD finding more room.
Not enough love for Schofield.

A couple of negs
Hutch not in great form.
Sheed still does not have a right foot.

Last edited:
I think it's obvious now that the reigning 2018 AFL premiers are starting to show signs of improvement.

Gaff became a damaging winger again. Sheed was pretty epic. Shuey smoked 'em in that last quarter.

When Ryan has a quiet one, Rioli steps up and visa versa.

Probably one of the better come backs I can remember watching. Payback for Adelaide having the W last year.

+If Yeo produces another best on ground this week against the bulldogs, he is very much in brownlow calculations. I have him taking home 6 votes over the last fortnight

-ve

Almost every kick in went long towards right half back and landed about 10-15m outside 50. Kept getting hemmed in around that part of the ground with 25 players around the ball. Really needed to mix it up and go to the fat side of the ground. We have Cripps, Ryan and Petruccelle in our forward line and all have pace and can push up the ground. Or at least let Sheppard take the kick in and try to get Hurn with the ball closer to CHB so he can get it further up the ground.

+ve

3 x 3 in the forward line with Kennedy, Cripps, Darling plus Rioli, Petruccelle and Allen got one each. Forward line starting to function better as a unit.

+ve's
Thought our backline held up pretty well. Good defensive games from Schoey and Nelson coming into the side. Underrated game from Duggan. Just does the right things defensively when we need it.
Darling's forward 50 ruck work was quite good. Reminded me a bit of QLynch. Gives us another option if nothing else.

-ve's
Thought our kick in's were too predictable, and allowed the Adelaide defence to tighten their zone guarding our kick ins.
That second quarter.

Haha, I noticed Gaff had the "left them in the bottom of the kit bag from our last away game" look

Been noticing this all season, someone needs to get the iron out every once and a while

Feels like an after thought - oh s**t away game we need the white shorts. Looks as if the staff grab a team full of plastic wrapped shorts that have been stuffed in a draw somewhere and throw them into a suitcase for the flight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo running with the flight of the ball to take a mark from an adelaide bomb out of defense, great mark at an important time.

JK going to Petrol for a chat after a goal was kicked be Cripps I think. Would have been about the bomb he did into the fwd 50 to nobody but an adelaide player. Cripps also got to him for a chat. You could see it was constructive and Petrol nodded, agreed and took the advise on board. Good feedback from mature player to young gun. Better than screaming and pointing fingers you see other teams do.

Yeo running with the flight of the ball to take a mark from an adelaide bomb out of defense, great mark at an important time.

JK going to Petrol for a chat after a goal was kicked be Cripps I think. Would have been about the bomb he did into the fwd 50 to nobody but an adelaide player. Cripps also got to him for a chat. You could see it was constructive and Petrol nodded, agreed and took the advise on board. Good feedback from mature player to young gun. Better than screaming and pointing fingers you see other teams do.

I noticed that- didn't see Kennedy do it but saw Cripps having a chat. He seems to be filling Lecca's shoes as a leader in the forwards. Good to see.

+ve's
Darling's forward 50 ruck work was quite good. Reminded me a bit of QLynch. Gives us another option if nothing else.

I wonder if there's an unintentional consequence on this too - Darling strikes me as a bloke who needs touches to find his feet in a game. Some blokes can be 'impact' players without working upto it (Darls strikes me as the opposite). Maybe letting him have a few taps in the forward 50 is a way to bring him into games more. Just a thought.

Feels like an after thought - oh **** away game we need the white shorts. Looks as if the staff grab a team full of plastic wrapped shorts that have been stuffed in a draw somewhere and throw them into a suitcase for the flight.

As someone who was once responsible for that (not with the Eagles unfortunately), this is definitely the case. Giant bag full of clean uniforms that sit there all week ready to fly, before the occasional “oh s**t we actually have to wear white this weekend” panic forces you to crack out the long ignored bag full of clash kits.

As someone who was once responsible for that (not with the Eagles unfortunately), this is definitely the case. Giant bag full of clean uniforms that sit there all week ready to fly, before the occasional “oh **** we actually have to wear white this weekend” panic forces you to crack out the long ignored bag full of clash kits.

I figured as much. Fold the shorts!

Walker pulling out of that contest looked bad the same way Ryan pulling out in the GF looked bad but in neither instance do I think it was because they weren’t prepared to put their body on the line. I think both players were thinking about what they were going to do once they got the ball without making sure they took possession in the first place

Tex gets hold of that ball, spins away from the oncoming Hurn and snaps a goal. Would have looked brilliant except he left the ball on the ground and looked like he was trying to dodge contact giving us all a good laugh
You may be right - if Tex takes possession and spins out of trouble/Ryan holds onto his mark and does similar then no-one is yelling at them for avoiding the oncoming traffic. I've done similar things where I've done one movement and am already onto the next before realising that I ****ed the first movement up.

But Tex's looks a lot worse because, unlke Ryan, he didn't even get a glove on the footy. Also Captain v Captain etc.

Still think the i50 numbers are a real concern, but the effort is noticbly up.

Need to fix the supply issue though, if we at least break even in this, then our def and fwd line will come out on top almost every time in my opinion.

Best memory against the Crows at AO was undoubtedly Round 23 2016 when Tom Barrass announced himself to the AFL world. Pretty sure he won the rising star nom after that game. Remember being so gassed up after NN's heroics against GWS the week before, to then knock off Adelaide away was such a huge moment.

Of course the finals didn't end well (thanks largely to the pre-finals bye), but we can gloss over that.
That game is known as the Journeyman Giles game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back