Delisted #41: Ben McNiece

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
I don't like potting our players, but it's strange he's getting games ahead of Ridley.
I get playing a guy like McNiece against a team like Richmond in the wet over Ridley, but Baguley would have done a better job last night.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Nothing against McNiece but he's never impressed me at AFL level. I think Ridley is clearly ahead of him even if you were just selecting on merit right now. Ridley has an AFL level physique and athleticism. McNiece compared to AFL level small forwards is pretty slow and he's never been able to use his great kicking to much impact in AFL games (similar to Hartley who despite having a weapon of a leg, never got it going at AFL level).

I'd be expecting that going forward if we have McKenna, Saad and Redman fit, that's plenty of coverage for speedy small forwards and we can easily play Ridley in the team. Ridley actually does pretty well against smaller blokes, he has that long reach and he's pretty agile, kind of like Fletcher lite.
I'd just play him every week in the AFL now. He's ready.

Knox Harrington

Club Legend
May 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah I find it quite strange he’s getting a game. Good luck to him but it’s thoroughly bizarre. There’s really nothing about him that belongs in the AFL, he’s a very good local footballer and that’s about it. Somebody just got extremely over-excited with the ridiculous Cat B rookie rules.
It's an interesting one.
I agree that he can thank the Cat B rules for his list spot.
He does perform well in VFL as the game is slower it plays to his strengths.
I don't think he is AFL worthy though any more.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Can we stop persisting with this bloke? Confused as to why he’s playing because he doesn’t really do much other than guard grass.

These selections really piss me off, because we have Ridley who can play his role 10 times better with a view to taking the game on as well.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Can Ridley play on small forwards? (Honest question, just wondering why people are assuming Rids and McSchmiece are competing for the same spot)

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
I thought after last weeks debacle he might respond a bit better. Might be premature but I think he could be playing for his senior career right now.

Can Ridley play on small forwards? (Honest question, just wondering why people are assuming Rids and McSchmiece are competing for the same spot)
Yes.

Back